Dutch Oven Tags

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 29, 2002
      I have bought some tags from Larsen and Chuckwagon Supply.
      I also have gone to the local CO-OPP and bought dog tags stamped with
      my name on them. And we have a local dog store that sells them too.

      I am up to 12 pots. I like to keep the right lid with the right pot. I
      have 3 number 12's. So, I label them as 12-A, 12-B, 12-C.
    • Ken Brown
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 27 7:23 AM
        I have decided to do something different than buying more brass tags.
        I bought a bag of "junk" coins from Ebay. These are foreign coins
        which have no collector value, and they are worn. There are many
        pairs of coins here (two of the same coin). I am going to match the
        pairs, drill a hole in each, and attach to oven and lid. It will be
        easier and faster to drill a hole in each than to stamp letters in a
        brass tag.

        I will have several pairs left. I will drill those, attach "S" rings,
        and we can give them to new members or use them for give-a-ways at
        gatherings.

        Ken
      • Gary
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
          If I understood the questioin right, someone wasnt sure what the split
          rings looked like. I have posted a picture with the rings and tags on
          Beamers II photo album. Hope that helps
        • Mike Parr
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
            OK exaclty what I was imagining. Thanks for the picture.

            --
            Mike Parr
            CMPE - SJSU

          • Connie Knie
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
              Same here! Thanks. BTW what is the pic on the home page?

              Mike Parr <coffeetester@...> wrote: OK exaclty what I was imagining. Thanks for the picture.

              connie

            • Gary
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
                Connie, that is a 5 berry crumble. Bought the mix at Cash and Carry and
                then substituted the 5 berry mix in the recipe for the Blueberry/Apple
                crumble found in our recipes page

                Gary in Seattle

                Same here! Thanks. BTW what is the pic on the home page?

                Mike Parr <coffeetester@...> wrote: OK exaclty what I was imagining.
                Thanks for the picture.

                connie

                Then click on "Leave Group".
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • anderskd
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 27, 2012
                  A few years ago, I bought some Dutch Oven name tags from a group in California. I would like some more, but don't remember who I ordered them from. They were round. adm stamped wiht my initials, and a number. Does anyone know where i can buy some more?

                  Thanks

                  Kent Anderson
                • John Pence
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 27, 2012
                    Like these? http://chuckwagonsupply.com/catpage5.html#dt

                  • tpstauffer@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 27, 2012
                      I made a donation at the 2011 NDOG, and thanks to Leo, learned how to stamp them .... cool looking brass tags

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 27, 2012
                        They are easy to do. You can buy the brass blanks from almost any hardware store, and you can buy a stamp set from Harbor Freight for about $10.00

                        Just mark them the way you want them.

                        I began using a large "S" hook to attach them to ovens and lids, but I switched to buying a split ring, which opens and closes. Some hardware stores carry them, and most office supply stores carry them.

                        Marking pots is an individual trait. I have gotten mis-cut keys from hardware stores, and matched the key types to mark pots.

                        Years ago I ordered some "junk" foreign coins, and used matching ones to mark ovens and lids.

                        Not sure what the melting point of them would be, but the tokens that you buy at Cabela's for their shooting range might make good markers.

                        There are many possibilities.

                        Ken

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "anderskd" <kent.anderson@...> wrote:

                        > A few years ago, I bought some Dutch Oven name tags from a group in California. I would like some more, but don't remember who I ordered them from. They were round. adm stamped wiht my initials, and a number. Does anyone know where i can buy some more?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Kent Anderson

                      • Lynn H. Ogden
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 27, 2012
                          Chuckwagon Supply. Do a web search for their site.

                          LO
                          Bothell, WA

                        • Greg Jacobs
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                            A Happy Camper has some great tags also!

                            Chuckwagon Supply. Do a web search for their site.

                            LO

                            Bothell, WA

                          • smokin1ron
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                              This is another source of tags: http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/doacc/tags/do-tag.html
                              I prefer to use bead chain to attach tags. It is not as strong but it is flexable and heat resistant. A "fender washer" would be another possability, though it has a small hole in the center and would need another hole drilled in the edge.

                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "anderskd" <kent.anderson@...> wrote:

                              > A few years ago, I bought some Dutch Oven name tags from a group in California. I would like some more, but don't remember who I ordered them from. They were round. adm stamped wiht my initials, and a number. Does anyone know where i can buy some more?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Kent Anderson

                            • Dwayne Lejeune
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                                this is where I bought mine
                                www.MilitaryDogTags.com

                                Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
                                2012 Voltage V-3950
                                http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
                                " Waiting On Someday"

                                --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, "anderskd" <kent.anderson@...> wrote:

                                > A few years ago, I bought some Dutch Oven name tags from a group in California. I would like some more, but don't remember who I ordered them from. They were round. adm stamped wiht my initials, and a number. Does anyone know where i can buy some more?
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Kent Anderson

                              • Richard Young
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                                  I guess I will add another source. I use trap tags and ordered them online.

                                  Check out http://www.traptags.com/

                                  Richard
                                  Mesa, AZ
                                • Kent Anderson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                                    Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I now have several sources to get them.

                                    By the way, I had a great time at the NDOG. I met a lot of people, and will be back again next year

                                    Kent

                                    Arlington, TX

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
                                      I got mine from chuckwagon supply.

                                      Marilyn Mahan
                                      Team A&M

                                      Sent from my iPhone
                                    • Lori
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 29, 2012
                                        This looks like the cheapest solution yet! Thanks for sharing.
                                        Lori
                                        Kimberton, PA

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 31, 2012
                                          Ref. ID tags:
                                          If you are interested in making your own tags and tags for your fellow DO cooks; go to www.unline.com and look for brass disks.  They have holes already punched in them.  You can get a set of stamps at Harbor Freight to stamp the disks.  Home Depot and Lowes (or any key shop) can supply the rings.  I use Hog Rings and a Hog Ring Tool to attach the disks to the handle of my DOs.  You will need a piece of flat steel to stamp the disks and a heavy hammer.  Be aware that the disks may bow a little when they are hammered.  Have fun.  I have made a bunch for the scouters in my area.

                                          Carter Crump
                                          Cast Iron Cooking Club
                                          Old Hickory Council
                                          5104 Ramillie Run
                                          Winston-Salem, NC 27106
                                          Phone 336-650-2711

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 31, 2012
                                            Wrong URL
                                            http://m.uline.com/mt/www.uline.com/BL_3036/Metal-Tags?un_jtt_redirect%c2%a0

                                            Randy Bear

                                            www.LeChienCookers.com

                                          • Kent Anderson
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                                              Thanks. Those look good

                                              Kent

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                                                Or if your too cheap like me keep your eye out for scrap sheets of stainless steel. Where? I'm curently using the housing salvaged from a neighbor's dead toaster oven. Cut to any shape/size with tin snips. Drill hole but hold it with pliers cause if it grabs as it breaks thru it can cut you as it spins. Place on soft wood board and use letter set (<$5 at Harbor Freight) to stamp whatever. They always curl but they're easily reflattened with a scrap 2X4 and a wack of the hammer. I never thought of the idea to use a hog ring but love it, especially the price.

                                                Feels like I've made them for half the troops in the council. I make extras and hand them out at our cooking contests so every troop goes home with the right pot lid. The boys can always use a flat blade screwdriver to create the letters if needed.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                                                  I use a 3/8" flat washer.  Has room for initials  date number or what you want to use for idenity..

                                                  Hole in center to use what ever you want to secure it to oven I've used beaded key chains.

                                                  Or if your too cheap like me keep your eye out for scrap sheets of stainless steel. Where? I'm curently using the housing salvaged from a neighbor's dead toaster oven. Cut to any shape/size with tin snips. Drill hole but hold it with pliers cause if it grabs as it breaks thru it can cut you as it spins. Place on soft wood board and use letter set (<$5 at Harbor Freight) to stamp whatever. They always curl but they're easily reflattened with a scrap 2X4 and a wack of the hammer. I never thought of the idea to use a hog ring but love it, especially the price.

                                                  Feels like I've made them for half the troops in the council. I make extras and hand them out at our cooking contests so every troop goes home with the right pot lid. The boys can always use a flat blade screwdriver to create the letters if needed.

                                                  If you are interested in making your own tags and tags for your fellow DO cooks; go to http://www.unline.com/ and look for brass disks.  They have holes already punched in them.  You can get a set of stamps at Harbor Freight to stamp the disks.  Home Depot and Lowes (or any key shop) can supply the rings.  I use Hog Rings and a Hog Ring Tool to attach the disks to the handle of my DOs.  You will need a piece of flat steel to stamp the disks and a heavy hammer.  Be aware that the disks may bow a little when they are hammered.  Have fun.  I have made a bunch for the scouters in my area.

                                                  Carter Crump
                                                  Cast Iron Cooking Club
                                                  Old Hickory Council
                                                  5104 Ramillie Run