Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Dale's Seasoning

  • barbarahgarrett
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      I love Dale's Seasoning and always keep at least one or two bottles on hand
      for seasoning meats, veggies or soups. I have NOT tried this in the Dutch
      Oven yet, still being rather shy about outdoor cooking. My favorite way to
      cook a whole chicken in my Rival Crockpot slow cooker is almost effortless
      and the results unfailingly delicious. The aroma drives my cats crazy. One
      day I'll do it in the Dutch Oven.

      Dale's Seasoning Chicken: I wash the bird, pat it dry and stuff its
      cavities with chunks of onion, a cut-up celery stalk and about half a dozen
      whole cloves of garlic. I then sprinkle a little Dale's Seasoning inside
      the cavities, and finish by covering the surface of the chicken with about
      1/4 cup of Dale's Seasoning. Cook until it tests done and eat as is or use
      for sandwiches. As long as you didn't cook it too high so that the soy
      sauce base burns, it oughta be marvelous in the DO. The slow cooker usually
      generates about a cup of liquid from the bird, but with the DO you might
      have to add some--or at least use a trivet of sliced onions on the
      bottom. --Barbara G. in Mississippi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        Thanks for sharing the recipe.....do you normally put
        the crockpot on low or high to cook this, and for how
        long usually?

        Mark

        --- barbarahgarrett <barbarahgarrett@...>
        wrote:

        > I love Dale's Seasoning and always keep at least one
        > or two bottles on hand
        > for seasoning meats, veggies or soups. I have NOT
        > tried this in the Dutch
        > Oven yet, still being rather shy about outdoor
        > cooking. My favorite way to
        > cook a whole chicken in my Rival Crockpot slow
        > cooker is almost effortless
        > and the results unfailingly delicious. The aroma
        > drives my cats crazy. One
        > day I'll do it in the Dutch Oven.
        >
        > Dale's Seasoning Chicken: I wash the bird, pat it
        > dry and stuff its
        > cavities with chunks of onion, a cut-up celery stalk
        > and about half a dozen
        > whole cloves of garlic. I then sprinkle a little
        > Dale's Seasoning inside
        > the cavities, and finish by covering the surface of
        > the chicken with about
        > 1/4 cup of Dale's Seasoning. Cook until it tests
        > done and eat as is or use
        > for sandwiches. As long as you didn't cook it too
        > high so that the soy
        > sauce base burns, it oughta be marvelous in the DO.
        > The slow cooker usually
        > generates about a cup of liquid from the bird, but
        > with the DO you might
        > have to add some--or at least use a trivet of sliced
        > onions on the
        > bottom. --Barbara G. in Mississippi

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • barbarahgarrett
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          With the recent years' slow cookers that cook too hot for my comfort, I
          always use the "Low" setting and I am hard pressed to set a time, even then.
          I think the Dale's Seasoning might scorch horribly on "High" on the new
          ones, but you could try it in one of the vintage Crocks from the 70s. My
          standard operating procedure for slow cooking meats, especially with my
          older slow cookers, is to start it out at "High" for the first hour to get
          it up to safe temps fast. Then I switch it to "Low" for the remainder of
          the cooking time.

          How long it takes to cook done depends upon the size of the bird and upon
          which cooker I use. I don't like leaving any slow cooker alone for more
          than 8 hours. I'd say allow 8-10 hours, but wiggle the chicken leg or use
          an insta-read at after 8. If it's on "Low," it's probably not going to dry
          out in that time. --Barbara G. in Mississippi