Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: Group Photo?

  • Cuz'n Dean
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1 12:10 AM
      Just all the good Photos. I can cook. But like taking
      Photo better.cuz'n dean

      --- BISCUIT <n5hbb@...> wrote:

      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Cuz'n Dean
      > <dean72833@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Photo by Cuz'n Dean
      > >
      > >Dean
      >
      > What did you cook in the cook-off?
      >

      > To unsubscribe from this group,
      > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of
      > the Group main page.
      > Then click on "Leave Group".
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Fran L-G
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 17 10:04 AM
        Ok -- what is that picture on the group's home page? It looks
        interesting. Sorry if I missed the explanation of it.

        Fran L-G
        Cleveland OH
      • BISCUIT
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 17 12:44 PM
          It looks like Green Beans and potatoes.
          It came from the Alabama DOG site. It looks like a good D.O. photo.
        • Ken Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 17 5:48 PM
            Howdy, Fran.

            I did not post this one, but it is green beans with new potatoes. A
            southern good-ol-boy dish. Seasoned with ham, it don't get any better
            than this.

            Ken

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...> wrote:

            > Ok -- what is that picture on the group's home page? It looks
            > interesting. Sorry if I missed the explanation of it.
            >

            > Fran L-G
            > Cleveland OH

          • Biscuit
            Message 5 of 21 , May 9, 2008
              I would say...at an OHIO DOG. Leman's DOG. spell check?:)
            • Charcin
              Message 6 of 21 , May 9, 2008
                I know the answer!!!! (Hand up waving frantically!)

                Can't wait to see the top one, and the fella in the third photo! Yogi
                sure hopes his wife is coming along, cause he sure likes her lap!
                The little gal in the striped shirt sure don't look anything like that
                anymore though! Hehehee Wish she did somedays! It would sure make mom and
                dad's life easier! LOL

                Cin

                Cindy & Charlie Overton

                Black Pot Demo's
                Outdoor Cooking Seminars, Demo's and Private Chef
                www.blackpotdemos.com <http://www.blackpotdemos.com/>

                Cook N' Camp
                A Full line of quality Outdoor Cooking products at discount prices
                www.cookncamp.com <http://www.cookncamp.com/>

                Message 7 of 21 , May 10, 2008
                  ok... its probly bad form to sit aside and lurk till ya suddenly
                  want something...forgive my bad manners.

                  i am a retired USNavy See-Bee who used to cook outdoors for my
                  platoon . often for the whole detachment when we would party on
                  weekends.
                  there were much better cooks than me so i was realy using the
                  oportunity to be the "covert student". it was in texas (NMCB-5
                  anyone?)and there were some real talented guys when it comes to
                  cooking meat with wood .

                  now i have my first home. i am happiest when i am sitting under the
                  shade trees with the oak coals getting ready. a cold beer in my
                  hand, and my good dogs and best gal nearby.

                  no kiddin folks, i feel like this oughta be what heaven is. i got
                  free range chickens to cook and rabbitts and we are expecting to
                  start goats soon too. my neighbors keep us supplied with venison and
                  wild pig. last fall i had 2 wild pigs just show up at my gate. so we
                  fed'em and traded em to neighbors for future meat . not enough room
                  in my freezer.

                  now that i have my own home i am looking for a couple things to set
                  my self up in "my perfect world " .

                  first i saw that beautifull cookstove on the cover page and it was
                  love at first site. anybody here any help in my mission to own a iron
                  stove ? it doesnt have to be that sort of home range queen with all
                  the nickle trim . i just want one that works well. i had em as a boy
                  and i miss that smell of homemade bread in a cook stove. any model ,
                  any age , function is the highest priority.

                  next, i am looking for a source of quality iron for open
                  firepit "cowboy cooking ". i think a good iron tripod and associated
                  hooks and grill hardware. i hope i am being clear. i know i am in the
                  right group for this. you all seem to be very experienced .

                  i got my grandmas collection of castiron but some things were
                  missing. i dont have the lid for her dutch oven and her big iron
                  kettle is long gone too. her stove top griddle is gone too. lids for
                  the iron skillets all gone. can i get just lids ? i have seen iron
                  sold in a few different stores but these days quality is always a
                  question . i will NOT buy chinese products! any suggestions for
                  quality american products that are still afordable ?

                  last thing, i am anxious to build a big smoke house on this place .
                  big enough to hang a couple hogs after butcher. me and the neighbors
                  got a scheme working to make our own hams and bacon etc. from these
                  wild pigs out in the swamp here. i welcome any and all advice in this
                  area. i have seen a few good smokehouses but i have NO SKILLS.

                  i thank you all in advance for any interest you show me in these
                  matters.

                  ok , in closing here, let me beg your indulgence for what may seem
                  obvious to most of you. this is all a new lifestyle for me.

                  i am honored to be among you as you all seem to have skill and a
                  great attitude of sharring. i really like that !. i hope i can be an
                  asset to this group...in time.

                  sincerly, saul t. dawg

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:

                  > I would say...at an OHIO DOG. Leman's DOG. spell check?:)

                • tsims22
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 30, 2010
                    That looks like Bill Ryan's cooking trailer int he background.
                    From The Bayou Pots Chapter. Next location of the next National DOG.
                    Biscuit
                  • fran_lg
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 30, 2010
                      Biscuit, the group photo of folks Dutch oven cooking in old-timey clothing is courtesy of The Redneck Gourmet Doug at the Elk Festival in Jasper AR last summer.

                      Photo album at -- http://tinyurl.com/yeswqmm

                      From the looks of the other pictures in that album, it looked like it was a pretty hot summer day. It had to be challenging in that heat all dressed up in long sleeves, long pants, long dresses & hats.

                      Fran L-G
                      Cleveland OH

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "tsims22" <tsims22@...> wrote:

                      > That looks like Bill Ryan's cooking trailer int he background.
                      > From The Bayou Pots Chapter. Next location of the next National DOG.
                      > Biscuit

                    • Bill Ryan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 31, 2010
                        Fran,
                                 I was there and it was 100 by 11 AM that day. Made it really interesting cooking. I think the final temp hit about 104 that day.

                        Bill

                        Biscuit, the group photo of folks Dutch oven cooking in old-timey clothing is courtesy of The Redneck Gourmet Doug at the Elk Festival in Jasper AR last summer.

                        Picture at -- http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/dutchovenc ooking

                        Photo album at -- http://tinyurl. com/yeswqmm

                        From the looks of the other pictures in that album, it looked like it was a pretty hot summer day. It had to be challenging in that heat all dressed up in long sleeves, long pants, long dresses & hats.

                        Fran L-G

                        Cleveland OH

                        --- In dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com, "tsims22" <tsims22@... > wrote:

                        > That looks like Bill Ryan's cooking trailer int he background.

                        > From The Bayou Pots Chapter. Next location of the next National DOG.

                        > Biscuit

                      • fran_lg
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
                          Oh my gosh! I had no idea the temps were that high! I could see some of the folks had watered their clothing down in some of those photos -- that was the hint that the weather was rather uncomfortable. Did anyone suffer heat stroke? You guys are real troopers.

                          Fran L-G
                          Cleveland OH

                        • billryan@bayoupots.org
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
                            No everyone made through the day. Good thing was the area we cooked in was shaded by trees. The amazing thing was Doug made a cheese cake with chocolate topping and it was setup fine.
                            Bill

                            From: "fran_lg" <fran_lg@...>
                            Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:40:41
                            To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>

                            Oh my gosh! I had no idea the temps were that high! I could see some of the folks had watered their clothing down in some of those photos -- that was the hint that the weather was rather uncomfortable. Did anyone suffer heat stroke? You guys are real troopers.

                            Fran L-G
                            Cleveland OH

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ryan <billryan@...> wrote:

                            > Fran,
                            > I was there and it was 100 by 11 AM that day. Made it really interesting cooking. I think the final temp hit about 104 that day.
                            >
                            > Bill

                          • Doug
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, billryan@... wrote:
                              >One of my cooking partners got too hot that day and we had to put him in the shade for a little while to cool down. It was tough.
                              I got lucky with the cheesecake. Just kept it in a ice chest wrapped in a trash bag till it was turn in time.
                              The team in the picture is "The Old Timer's". They are 2 sister's and one of the ladies husband...and the ladies are always in those dresses. And boy can they cook! They are always one of the teams that you have to beat in order to win because they almost always place!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2, 2010
                                "The Old Timer's".

                                Was one of the Ladies name Jimma? There use to be two ladies that cooked at Rison, called The Grayhawk Grannies. They were good and beat ya everytime.I threw in the towel, when they were cooking.
                              • Doug
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 2, 2010
                                  Yep, Ms Jimma Hampton and her husband Leon....no nicer people in the world and she is still hard to beat!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                                    Is this a Woody Oven?
                                  • Dutch Oven Diva
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                                      Yes, but this is only 1/2 of the oven. The bottom 1/2 and the small screw like legs are not showing.