Capt's Sourdough Biscuits-rolls

  • CaptMidnight1943
    Message 1 of 3003 , Feb 23, 2000
      These rolls are real cowboy style-they ain't
      fancy, they are just about what the old chuck wagon
      cooks made back when.<br><br>I try to use just about
      what a range cook would have in his wagon back in the
      old days. <br><br>He did have sugar, flour, salt,
      lard, he did not have milk, eggs, Crisco,when on a
      trail drive-it is mighty hard to near impossible to
      drive a bunch of chickens along with them
      white flour-high grade flour<br>3 tbl sugar<br>2 tsp
      the lard-start adding <br>dry stuff to your
      starter-flop it out on work board and finish up working in the
      dry stuff-you may have to add a little flour or water
      to get this dough ball right, water content of flour
      varies with the weather-as everyone knows who bakes
      anything. You do not want a sticky dough.<br><br>work this
      dough good till you have nice smooth dough ball-flop it
      in a greased bowl and let sit in a nice warm place
      till it is twice as big as when it started rising.
      this is called doubled in the baking business-and it
      make a nice soft roll.<br><br>punch this dough ball
      down and get all the air out of it. Pinch off balls a
      little bigger than a golf ball-flaten out a bit and
      place in a well greased Dutch Oven-kinda close to each
      other-so they rise up-when they are twice the size
      again-put in coals-most of the coals on top-bake about as
      long as Beer bread.<br><br>These rolls is mighty good
      as they are, or with sausage gravy slopped on top
      them.<br><br>Tip-when messin with Dutch Ovens-you gotta really keep
      watch while baking-you got to hot a fire your going to
      burn these rolls right up.<br><br>Capt
    • mississippi_biscuit
      Message 3003 of 3003 , Feb 7, 2011