Kamodo Charcoal

  • Jeff Bittel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2006
      As a Cubmaster for a Cub Scout Pack I have found Dutch Oven cooking
      is a wonderful addition to the standard morning pancakes and evening
      hot dogs often found during Cub Scout family camp outs. I have
      almost doubled the participation in these events due to the parents
      curiosity for what we will serve at the next event. I have even
      introduced competitions by den for desserts at the evening meal.

      Having said that Kingsford charcoal annoys me by the amount of ash
      produced. Long cooks are especially annoying. The redeeming factor
      with Kingsford is we all know how many bricks it takes to heat a
      particular size DO. I have messed around with lump charcoal and it
      works fine, but you never know what size the lumps will be in each
      bag. This makes guessing on temps a worrisome adventure, and
      basically not worth it in my book.

      Recently I read a review of an extruded lump coconut charcoal called
      Kamodo Lump at the site listed below.

      http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag32.htm

      While the testing of this charcoal was performed for BBQ'ing only I
      was intrigued by the long burn times and greatly reduced ash
      byproducts. Made me wonder if the Kamodo product could be used for
      DO cooking. The biggest drawback noted was the difficulty in
      lighting the briquettes.

      Has anybody tried this product in DO cooking? If so I would like to
      hear what your experience was like good or bad?