[Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: National DOG needs your help!

  • BISCUIT
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 1, 2006
      SURE!!!!!!
      Come on out and visit The Biscuit Chuckwagon Train. We can find you
      plenty of iron to cook in. You will need to buy the gub to go in it.
      Biscuit would welcome you to our camp anytime.

      Hope to see ya there!

      THE HAPPY DUTCH OVEN COOK

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "ggwilkins" <ggwilkins@...>
      wrote:

      > Sounds like we don't need to take any dutch ovens. There won't be any
      > time for cooking. So with the lack of weight we can fly in.
      > Gary

    • Fran L-G
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 11, 2007
        Richard,

        A few months ago we took a survey as to what type of dump cake
        combinations folks favored. I summarized these Dump Cake Combo
        results and posted it in the Files Section, under the General
        Information folder. You may be interested to see what's in there and
        perhaps give something a try if that type of recipe suits you.

        Remember, a dump cake is essentially that -- dump the ingredients in
        the dutch oven with minimal interaction. An easy recipe with great
        results where it will amaze your family & friends. I usually start
        with Pam spray on the surfaces, then next fruit, cake mix, then the
        soda, and lastly I like to put butter pats on top. No eggs needed.
        You can even give a little swirl at the top to coat the cake mix with
        liquid, but it isn't really necessary, I just like to make sure all
        the cake mix is absorbed. Bake at 350F* until the cake-ier sections
        are somewhat done, usually about an hour for me, hardly ever less. I
        even still use the toothpick/knife test in sections where there is
        more cake, if they come out somewhat clean, it's done. "If it smells
        done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt."

        Favorite Dump Cake Combos http://tinyurl.com/2sznrb

        350F* -- for a 12" Dutch Oven, 15 coals on the top, 9 on the bottom
        using the +3 / -3 technique (# of coals on top = size of DO + 3; #
        coals on bottom = size of DO - 3). Add more coals depending upon
        weather conditions (windy, cold, rain, snow, etc).

        Fran L-G
        Cleveland OH