Re: ISO of a good cast iron cook set

  • Phillip&Carolyn Allen
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2006
      Mark & Barbara
      I agree! Back in the summer I needed some extra Dutch Ovens to cook
      for a large group and didn’t want to spend a whole lot for something I
      may not use much. So, I stopped by Academy and picked up a 14” deep,
      about $25, and a 12” standard DO, less than $15, both ‘Outdoor
      Gourmet’…If I remember correctly. I opted to get the legless models
      because the legs were so thin I didn’t like them. I made 3 legged
      stands out of pipe nipples and fitting and they work very well. They
      also double as lid stands. But back to the DO’s. They aren’t as nice
      looking as my old Lodges, but they cook just as well. I have used the
      14” to cook turkeys for Thanksgiving & Christmas, as well as a few
      hams. With no legs on the 12”, I like to get a meal started on the
      stove, while to coals are getting ready. Then transfer it outside. I
      get off work at 5:00 and this helps get things going before it gets to
      late. My point is that they are both made in China, but they do a
      fine job! Enough of my rambling on!
      Cooking in Dutch Ovens is what we like to do, no matter where they
      were made!
      Thanks for listening!
      Phillip

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
      <barb7513@...> wrote:

      > Thats a pretty broad statement........some of the cast
      > iron from those areas are good pieces and will serve
      > well. I have (4) Stansport 22qt ovens that are made in
      > China. Yes, some of them have a rough casting in the
      > bottom of a couple, but when I am catering and serving
      > large groups, they work much better than trying to use
      > 16 inch Lodge ovens that are only 12 qt capacity. Yes,
      > Lodge may be a prettier oven, but pretty dont always
      > get the job done. Camp Chef ovens are cast overseas
      > also, but are a high quality item as well that we use
      > often. I now have over 40+ dutch ovens and we cook
      > dutch oven at least twice a week on average 52 weeks a
      > year. We cooked for about 40 last Friday night, then
      > again at work on Saturday for lunch, then again last
      > night for some boy scouts, and tomorrow will be
      > heading to the dunes and will cook every meal in dutch
      > oven for the entire weekend. Yes, there are some very
      > poor castings that come from foreign places, but lets
      > not catgorize all foreign as bad. Thanks.
      >
      > --- Cullen Stuart <cullen.stuart@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Just dont get cast iron form Taiwan or China.
      > > Cullen

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Cullen Stuart
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2006
        the post was about a first timer...
        I would not take the chance especially if it is a 1st timer buying cast
        iron ....

        as for me and my house we will not have cast iron the is not for the US
        cullen

        Join are new group . where we can discuss all sorts of FAMILY Fun.

      • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
          Cullen, I do have several Lodge DOs but most of the 100 that I own are made
          in China and one is made in India. I find that the ones from China do just
          as well as the Lodge DOs and cost considerably less.
          Take a look at the new Camp Chef Classic. It looks similar to the old
          Griswald and the quality is wonderful. It is cast in China.

          Dave Horton
          Director
          WNY Chapter of IDOS
          Dutchovendave
          _www.dutchovendave.com_ (http://www.dutchovendave.com/)
          dave@...

        • Cullen Stuart
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
            do you cook right in a fire made form real hard wood like oak?

            when i teach my classes i cook with hard woods . I have had the DO form
            china warp and ever crack ,but i can throw a DO from the us right in the
            coals for cleaning up or one the i have found at a yard sale and it will
            come out like new .
            I have just had bad look the the DO not form the US.
            Cullen

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
              My experience has not been like yours at all. I started with Texsport DOs
              and over the years have used Stansport, Lodge, MACA, antique Spiders, and now
              I use Camp Chef almost exclusively. I like all of the equipment that they
              make and this past year did 43 cooking Seminars. I have never had any problems
              with any of the DOs that I use. The new Camp Chef Classic is a very nice
              piece of equipment that I use and like.

              Dave

            • riverjourneys
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                I think the most important thing is to just get started. My first was a Wenzel, yes made in China, yes purchased at Sam's Club (don't go there anymore), and may have been made by exploited laborers and who only knows what is in the metal. While I do try to be sensitive to the impact of my economic activity, I also realize that sometimes I just need to try something before I invest a ton of money, effort and research into it.

                My first DO cooking effort on the river was an egg dish similar to the "Mountain Man" breakfast though I had no idea what it was, it just seemed good. I had no cookbooks, no formulas for coals, but cast and cooking food outdoors just seemed right. I had 8 teenagers from the Bad River Indian Reservation with me on that five day canoe trip on the North Fork of the Flambeau in Wisconsin, and that cast iron cooking made them feel like they were royalty. We had stews, cornbread, on and on. Again, I had no books, no instruction, just seemed like the right way to cook on the river.

                Since finding this group, purchasing tens of books, researching, etc. I now own Lodge, not too many as I can only carry so many on the river, but my heart still skips a beat when I pull out that Chinese made Wenzel because that is where it all began. So, just get started. Figure out if it is something that brings you joy. If it is, money and where it is made, etc. might be an issue, but first and foremost will be your love for cooking outdoors and the aroma of that hot cast.

                There are few things in life that bring us real satisfaction. When we find them, we should pause, reflect and give a little prayer of thanks for being so blessed. Such it is with my Chinese made Wenzel.

                David

                Dedicated to helping our customers achieve personal growth,
                team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                RiverJourneys, Inc.
                David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                70529 Martin Road
                Edwardsburg, MI 49112

                269-699-5356
                574-535-3623 cellular

                http://www.riverjourneys.org

                "In the woods we return to reason and faith. There I feel nothing will befall me...
                no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

                "To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same
                field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before and which will never be seen again."

                Ralph Waldo Emerson

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Depends on the venue; here at work, or when doing
                  demo's in Sportsmans Warehouse parking lot/sidewalk,
                  etc. they tend to frown on digging a hole and build a
                  hardwood fire so we use charcoal in those situations
                  on steel tables. When we cook the Buffalo CHip, or in
                  Festival of the West, AZ Livestock Show, Cowboy Poetry
                  gatherings, etc where it is allowable we will cook
                  with the hardwoods; however, we never EVER put our
                  ovens into the extreme hot coals to clean them. We
                  just wipe them out and then use some hot water to get
                  the rest clean, dry and sweeten 'em up a bit before
                  putting away.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                    I think I have 3 of those sets---one still un-opened.
                    Bought several over the years at Costco and gave away
                    as gifts. They are a good bargain in my opinion.

                    --- Jim <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "G"
                    > <gabinoalonso@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am new to the group and I was wondering if
                    > someone could give me
                    > > some advice on a good cast iron cook set.
                    >
                    > I don't know how good it is, but I was mighty
                    > tempted to buy a set
                    > that Camping World is selling for $40.
                    >
                    > It includes:
                    > -2 qt. Sauce Pan with lid,
                    > -6 qt. 12" flat bottom Dutch Oven with bail handle &
                    > camp lid (for
                    > coals),
                    > -Lid/pot lifter. I have the exact same lifter and
                    > it works well-
                    > handle stays cool if you leave it standing on the
                    > lid while cooking.
                    > -Trivet to use the DO over coals
                    > -12" Skillet (I'm not sure but I think the DO lid
                    > will fit)
                    > -20"L x 9"W Griddle is ribbed on one side for
                    > broiling, and smooth on
                    > the other side, for pancakes, eggs, and more.
                    > (appears identical to
                    > my Lodge griddle- note you need burners spaced no
                    > more than about 10"
                    > apart to use this griddle- cooking area is 16"x7")
                    > Zippered nylon cases for each piece.
                    > All pieces fit inside a wooden crate with rope
                    > handles and a hinged
                    > lid.
                    >
                    > I was tempted to buy the set just for the trivet and
                    > cases.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    > Long Beach CA
                    > 10" Lodge beginning DO cook

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Richard E. Smith
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                      David wrote:
                      " Figure out if it is something that brings you joy. If it is, money and where it is made, etc. might be an issue, but first and foremost will be your
                      love for cooking outdoors and the aroma of that hot cast.

                      There are few things in life that bring us real satisfaction. When we
                      find them, we should pause, reflect and give a little prayer of thanks
                      for being so blessed. "

                      That is so right. Research what you want to do. Read what others have to say. Go look at them. Kick the tires(check the fit of the lid wall thickness). If it all look good to you buy it, season it and use it. Then move on to your next one ( yea your next one , because nobody can have just one. They get lonely). I have Lodge, Camp Chef and one Maca Oval. The Lodge and Camp Chef are what are in the store near me. And the Maca was a Christmas gift.Our Scout Troop have Ridgeway Ovens and the boys use them and they work just fine.
                      So go get one and get cookin.

                      RES
                      Bay Area Dutch Oven Gypsies, Chapter Advisor
                      L.S.D.O.S.

                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2006
                        >>I think the most important thing is to just get started.<<

                        Dutch oven cooks don't make very good snobs, but it's funny when we try. The basic fact is, it's just an iron pot with a loose lid in very approximate heating conditions.

                        If you've only got $50, two Texports will do you a whole lot better than one Lodge. (Then make sure your rich brother buys a Lodge so you can snag it when he gets bored.)