Taught our first DO class

  • Dale Beam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      Gary and I have been planning this class for about 6 months and made it
      happen last Saturday. We scheduled for 8 students but lost a couple
      prior to the start. The Seattle weather was nasty, but we were
      prepared with a couple of EZ Ups to protect us from the wind and
      shelter us from the rains. (photos posted in the beamers album)

      The class was for beginners and designed as an introduction to DO
      Cooking. We started with the basics. Scrubbed some rust off and
      washed one oven and seasoned two ovens on the propane grill while we
      continued the class. We designed the class for a lot of hands on but
      found that we (Gary and I, I mean I) did most of the cooking. For sure
      most of the talking. Our goal was to demonstrate several methods of
      cooking and baking and we met our goal. 4 pots of goodies. One 12"
      with a pork loin cooked with potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips,
      celery, and some chicken broth. One 12" with corn bread. A 10" with
      40 rolls. And a 12" with a blueberry apple crisp.

      Made some gravy with the drippings from the port loin and sat down to a
      great meal. The rolls were a little under done, but managed to
      disappear by the end of the meal thanks to Sylvia's honey butter
      recipe. The dessert was outstanding. Voted the best dessert we have
      ever made. I will post the recipe later.

      Thanks to all in the group for sharing and giving us the courage to
      step out and share our love for the Black Pots with others. We are
      planning on a class each month till summer. Hopefully we will get
      enough interest going to start up a Chapter and have some "SOGGY DOGS".

      Check out the photos in the beamers album. We missed the pork loin,
      it's covered in the foil next to the bowl of veggies.

      Dale in Seattle