Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] What to buy

  • GARZA
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2002
      Thank you for the information Tom :-) I will go shopping this week to
      see if I can find a Lodge brand dutch oven. Do you mean 12" tall or 12"
      across? I only have 3 people in my family, so I probably won't ever need
      a huge one. I'd like to have several of them eventually. That way I will
      be able to cook a whole meal plus desert all at the same time.
      I made a chicken pot pie in my dutch oven today. I had to bake it in my
      kitchen oven, but it came out pretty good. I think I'll try a desert
      next weekend.

      Karen

      Tom Thumma wrote:

      > Karen, for outdoor cooking on a fire get a camp oven with feet and a
      > rimmed lid. A 12" oven is probably the most useablle size. I prefer
      > Lodge but other brands, if everything fits ok, are ok too.
      > Tom
      >
      > GARZA <dkgarza@...> wrote: What should be my first
      > priority when buying a dutch oven? What should I
      > buy first? Second? What size should I start with? What are your
      > favorite
      > brands, and what brands should be avoided? I live fairly close to two
      > stores that sell dutch ovens (Smith & Edward's and IFA). I have a
      > dutch
      > oven but it probably isn't right. It has a rounded lid and no feet.
      > The
      > bottom has "WMK 5QT Dutch Oven" engraved in it. I could probably use
      > it
      > in my oven instead of with charcoal. What do you recommend? What are
      > the
      > necessities? Thank you for your help
      >
      > Karen
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Tom Thumma
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi Karen....glad I could pass on information. That's how I got started too. If there are only three in your family consider getting a 10" too. Bout the 12" DO.....get a regular one. Lodge does make deep DOs in 12" and 14". They are mostly for larger groups. They 12" regular is probably the best baker for biscuits, bread, dump cakes and cobblers there is! Now if you want a REAL BIG DO check out the link to MACCA. They make some real big DOs.
        Tom
        GARZA <dkgarza@...> wrote: Thank you for the information Tom :-) I will go shopping this week to

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
          I looked at the MACCA site. I can't imagine ever needing one of those
          huge ones. I'd like to have several sizes eventually, but I will
          probably just buy a 12" for now. I'm really looking forward to shopping
          tomorrow. Cobbler sounds really good right now. I need to find a recipe
          for some. Maybe raspberry. mmm this is gonna be lots of fun hanging out
          in this group with you folks :-)

          Karen

          Tom Thumma wrote:

          > Hi Karen....glad I could pass on information. That's how I got started
          > too. If there are only three in your family consider getting a 10"
          > too. Bout the 12" DO.....get a regular one. Lodge does make deep DOs
          > in 12" and 14". They are mostly for larger groups. They 12" regular is
          > probably the best baker for biscuits, bread, dump cakes and cobblers
          > there is! Now if you want a REAL BIG DO check out the link to MACCA.
          > They make some real big DOs.
          > Tom

        • Tom Thumma
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hey Karen....if you're gonna hang out with this group watch your waistline! It tends to get bigger cause of the great food!
            Tom

            GARZA <dkgarza@...> wrote: I looked at the MACCA site. I can't imagine ever needing one of those

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
              I guess when I get too fat, my horse will let me know (if I can still
              get up on her) ;-)

              Karen