RE: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: Cabela's Demo & Pumpkin Car

  • Charcin
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
      It is Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! A real gem and has 2 handles so you can get
      help carrying it!

      It is the store brand, but I got it right from the source that it is a
      Camp Chef made oven. Very easy to tell also, cause it looks just like them
      except there are no feet on the lid. I'll get a picture of it next to one
      of my 12's so you can really see how huge this thing is! Can't really tell
      from the pictures, although the one with me working on the Catalina Fish,
      has the lid upside down on a trivet with all the fish in it. That pic shows
      the size a bit better than just the pizza pic.
      Normal cost from Cabela's is $89.99.

      Sportsman's Warehouse also has 17" deep ovens that hold 20 quarts. They
      are Stansports I think, but they do a fine job. I have 4 of them. Cost of
      them is about $36.00 each! Not as cool looking as the Cabela's 20", but
      pretty massive ovens also!

      Cin

      Cindy & Charlie Overton
      Black Pot Demo's
      www.blackpotdemos.bravehost.com

      Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store brand or What? I'm
      looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless thats all I can get.
      Wishbone-Ks

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
        The Stansports at Sportsmans for 36.99 are 22 quart
        capacity.

        --- Charcin <charcin1@...> wrote:
        > Sportsman's Warehouse also has 17" deep ovens
        > that hold 20 quarts. They
        > are Stansports I think, but they do a fine job. I
        > have 4 of them. Cost of
        > them is about $36.00 each! Not as cool looking as
        > the Cabela's 20", but
        > pretty massive ovens also!
        >
        > Cin
        >
        > Cindy & Charlie Overton
        > Black Pot Demo's
        > www.blackpotdemos.bravehost.com

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Charcin
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hmmm...Thought the last ones I bought where 20 quart. Oh
          Well.................thanks for the correction! Still BIG! LOL

          I posted a pic in my album, (Cin's Pics) of the Cabela's 20" next to my
          Lodge BSA 12". Gives you a better perspective of the size.
          If anyone wants me to post a pic of the Stansport 17", just let me know, I
          have one here in the house right now, ready for a new coat of seasoning.

        • awcreative@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
            In a message dated 11/2/2005 4:37:03 PM Central Standard Time,
            dutchovencook99@... writes:
            Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store brand or What? I'm
            looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless thats all I can get.
            Wishbone-Ks

            Hey Wishbone,

            They have a pot that big and we saw one in the Fort Worth store. I do not
            think I want to pick up the lid much less the entire pot. I would take a mighty
            good sized man to pick up one of those pots filled with food.

            Al

          • brad_g8
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
              I just got back from Cabelas and looked at that 20 inch oven. It's
              50 pounds without any food in it. The $90 price tag scared me away
              as well as the weight!

              While the Cabelas logo is cast into the lic, the lid design is a
              CampChef all the way. Check the quality of the iron in the bottom.
              The oven I saw seemed to have a bit of a cold pour and the iron
              wasn't as smooth as it should have been.

              It is huge!

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, awcreative@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 11/2/2005 4:37:03 PM Central Standard Time,
              > dutchovencook99@y... writes:
              > Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store brand or What?
              I'm
              > looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless thats all I can
              get.
              > Wishbone-Ks
              >
              > Hey Wishbone,
              >
              > They have a pot that big and we saw one in the Fort Worth store. I
              do not
              > think I want to pick up the lid much less the entire pot. I would
              take a mighty
              > good sized man to pick up one of those pots filled with food.
              >
              > Al

            • Moggiemama
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                My husband says he would rather buy two smaller DOs than pay for
                hernia surgery. LOL
                Joyce

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, brad_g8 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > I just got back from Cabelas and looked at that 20 inch oven. It's
                > 50 pounds without any food in it. The $90 price tag scared me away
                > as well as the weight!
                >
                > While the Cabelas logo is cast into the lic, the lid design is a
                > CampChef all the way. Check the quality of the iron in the bottom.
                > The oven I saw seemed to have a bit of a cold pour and the iron
                > wasn't as smooth as it should have been.
                >
                > It is huge!
              • Mark
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                  May I inquire why you would not want a MACA or should I say your last
                  choice?

                  DOC Opa

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Wishbone"
                  <dutchovencook99@y...> wrote:

                  > Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store brand or What? I'm
                  > looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless thats all I can get.
                  > Wishbone-Ks

                • Charcin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                    I keep telling my hubby it's my new weight lifting program!

                    Seriously though, I cater to campgrounds and privately also, along with
                    my seminar and demo business. The big ovens are sure a great help when I'm
                    cooking for a couple of hundred campers! I just don't have the space to
                    carry and cook in lots of little ovens. These big babies are a real help,
                    as well as a WOW factor when I cook! Folks just like them!
                    BTW..........when the cooking is done, the folks come to the food, I
                    don't even attempt to carry these with food in them! :-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                      If I may, here might be some reasons:

                      The Cabellas 20 inch is 46lbs
                      The Maca 22 inch is 146lbs

                      The Cabellas 20 inch is about $90
                      The Maca 22 inch is over $200

                      The Maca is also a thicker walled oven which, even tho
                      once heated cooks great, it takes longer & more
                      charcoal to cook with it.

                      Dont get me wrong, the MACA's are great ovens with
                      some really neat designs on the lid like the conestoga
                      wagon scene on the 22.

                      Mark

                      --- Mark <docopa1962@...> wrote:

                      > May I inquire why you would not want a MACA or
                      > should I say your last
                      > choice?
                      >
                      > DOC Opa
                      >

                      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Wishbone"
                      > <dutchovencook99@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store
                      > brand or What? I'm
                      > > looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless
                      > thats all I can get.
                      > > Wishbone-Ks

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                        I have four standard size ovens from 12" down to 8" and one 15" MACA.
                        I like the MACA for large pieces of food as they are almost double
                        the height of a standard oven or for a large loaf of bread. I would
                        like to get a 14" and possibly a 16" added to the collection as well
                        as a 10 and 12 deep. I am considering Cabelas ovens for the 14" and
                        16". As I cook for only family most of the time, I can't image what I
                        would need a 20" for other than making big pizzas. Not a bad idea
                        really. I would use a 14" standard oven more than the 15" MACA. One
                        thing about the 15" MACA. My wife did not like turkey even if it was
                        brined and cooked to perfection in a house oven. I cooked a unbrined
                        turkey last weekend in the 15" MACA and she can't wait for me to cook
                        another one.

                        It is worse than you think as the 22" MACA weighs 160 lb.!!!

                        DOC Opa

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                        <barb7513@y...> wrote:

                        > If I may, here might be some reasons:
                        >
                        > The Cabellas 20 inch is 46lbs
                        > The Maca 22 inch is 146lbs
                        >
                        > The Cabellas 20 inch is about $90
                        > The Maca 22 inch is over $200
                        >
                        > The Maca is also a thicker walled oven which, even tho
                        > once heated cooks great, it takes longer & more
                        > charcoal to cook with it.
                        >
                        > Dont get me wrong, the MACA's are great ovens with
                        > some really neat designs on the lid like the conestoga
                        > wagon scene on the 22.
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >
                        > --- Mark <docopa1962@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > May I inquire why you would not want a MACA or
                        > > should I say your last
                        > > choice?
                        > >
                        > > DOC Opa
                        > >

                        > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Wishbone"
                        > > <dutchovencook99@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Cabelas has a 20 inch 22 qt DO ? Is it thier store
                        > > brand or What? I'm
                        > > > looking for 2 big DO's. Dont want Maca's unless
                        > > thats all I can get.
                        > > > Wishbone-Ks
                        > > >

                        > __________________________________
                        > http://farechase.yahoo.com

                      • Moggiemama
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                          I have to say, Cin, that a pot that big should have it's own forklift, LOL. Do you get help carrying it or do you belong to Gold's Gym?

                          At my age, I think I would insist that a pot that large would have training wheels and a motor. :D;)
                          Joyce

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Charcin" <charcin1@n...> wrote:
                          Well.................thanks for the correction! Still BIG! LOL

                          > I posted a pic in my album, (Cin's Pics) of the Cabela's 20" next to my
                          > Lodge BSA 12". Gives you a better perspective of the size.
                          > If anyone wants me to post a pic of the Stansport 17", just let me know, I
                          > have one here in the house right now, ready for a new coat of seasoning.
                          >
                          > Cin

                        • SamandHeidi
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                            I can't even imagine lugging something that large around. Tho it sounds
                            wonderful for large meals, It would take a small army to move it.....
                            LOL!!!

                            Heidi
                            aka "Hyd"

                            President of, GOLD COUNTRY HORSEMEN'S ASSOCIATION
                            www.goldcountryhorsemens.com

                            www.samberriracing.com

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                              I cook for a big group of approx 150 each year. I borrowed a friends
                              Maca 15 & 17 to cook Chili in. I need my own. Incase anything happend.
                              The Young man that has helped us the last 2 years as my Fire Man
                              keeping Charcoal going, Lifted that 17" Maca oven off the cooking
                              table & but it on the serving table. It had over 5 gallons of Chili in
                              it. Two people should be able to lift that pot with no problem and
                              move it a couple of feet. Closest Cabelas is in Kansas City about 200
                              miles North East. Closest Sportsman Warehouse is in Oklahoma City
                              about 200 miles South from where I live. Toss a coin and decide which
                              direction to go. I'd like to get something that looks like a Lodge DO.
                              Sportsmans Guide is out of the Big Texports ones. Gander Mtn doesnt
                              carry them in Wichita. thanks for info. Wishbone-Ks
                            • SamandHeidi
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                                Well there is a new Cabelas going in at a place called BoomTown, West of
                                Reno,NV. I can hardly wait to go check it out....... I may have to see
                                how much Iron I can pump. LOL!!!

[...]

                                Then click on "Leave Group".

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                Visit your group "dutchovencooking" on the web.

                              • Charcin
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  Carry the lid and the pot separate, or just get a couple of hungry scouts to
                                  do it! Once it has food in it, it doesn't get moved anymore unless it is a
                                  pizza on the lid! For food in the pot itself, the diners come to the food,
                                  and I serve it right off my cooking table!
                                  I do like the wheels and motor thought though....Hmmmm gonna have to
                                  work on that!