Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Disaster

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
      It almost seems that due to the long term timeframe it
      will take for these cities, homes, etc. to be
      re-built, the thought comes to mind that we americans
      just about need to "adopt" a family and take them into
      our homes to help them get back on their feet in
      finding jobs and help them feel they are still a vital
      part of america while the rebuilding goes on. With
      that said, the logistics of making that happen are
      mind-boggling. Even tho in Houston they are taking in
      to the Astro Dome thousands, I cant imagine the mental
      stress it would cause for me to sit there
      contemplating the bleak outlook day after day with
      nothing to do but wait for handouts of food &
      clothing; these people need so much more. Guess I am
      just rambling here, so forgive me. The situation
      weighs heavy on my mind as I try to place myself in
      their shoes as to what they are going thru.

      Mark

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • barbcox2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
        Mark,

        funny you should mention taking families into our homes. Here is an email I
        received from another list this morning
        Barb

        Here is the letter from MoveOn.org:

        Subject: Emergency housing drive at www.hurricanehousing.org

        I'm sure you've seen the horrifying images on TV of destruction left by
        Hurricane Katrina, and the many, many people left with nowhere to go.
        You can help. MoveOn.org just launched a website,
        www.hurricanehousing.org, to connect your empty beds with hurricane
        victims who desperately need a place to wait out the storm.

        You can post your offer of housing (a spare room, extra bed, even a
        decent couch) on http://www.hurricanehousing.org or search there for
        housing if you need it.

        MoveOn will pass requests from hurricane victims or relief agencies on
        to volunteer hosts, who can decide whether or not to respond to a
        particular request. The host remains anonymous until they reply to
        someone looking for housing.

        I just posted my own offer. I hope you will too, or pass this on to
        people you know in the Southeast:

        http://www.hurricanehousing.org

        Housing is most urgently needed within reasonable driving distance
        (about 300 miles) of the affected areas, especially New Orleans.

        Thanks!

      • horsefav
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
          It's strange you should mention this. The other day I was watching
          Cee Dee Dub's and on his show he made muffins in 1/2 orange peels.
          Yes you are seeing right. He used the 1/2 an orange peel and poured
          the batter into it. Baked them and they looked great. He also said
          it gave the muffins a citrusy taste.
          Depending on the kind of muffin you are making, it might be worth a
          try.

          \--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "M. Akehurst"
          <akehurstm@y...> wrote:

          > Any recommendations for making muffins in a 12"? I don't have a
          round muffin pan to fit down inside it, so I was going to
          make "muffin bread" by pouring the batter and cooking it a bit
          cooler and slower to make sure the middle gets done. I though of
          using ramekins and pouring batter into each one, but I don't think I
          can fit enough into the DO to make enough. I'm hoping somebody has
          experience with this and the perfect solution. Thanks for the help
          in advance.

        • M. Akehurst
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
            I have made eggs this way. Just pour the egg in, salt & pepper, and put right on the coals. No DO, no foil. Just an orange peel. But I don't think I've seen oranges large enough for muffins at this time of year. Thanks for the reminder.

            horsefav <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:It's strange you should mention this. The other day I was watching

            <akehurstm@y...> wrote:

            > Any recommendations for making muffins in a 12"? I don't have a
            round muffin pan to fit down inside it, so I was going to
            make "muffin bread" by pouring the batter and cooking it a bit
            cooler and slower to make sure the middle gets done. I though of
            using ramekins and pouring batter into each one, but I don't think I
            can fit enough into the DO to make enough. I'm hoping somebody has
            experience with this and the perfect solution. Thanks for the help
            in advance.

            Then click on "Leave Group".

            Dutch oven Cooking recipes Dutch oven cooking Dutch oven cook book Healthy cooking recipe Rotisserie cooking recipe

          • Moggiemama
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
              That's my idea of cooking! Cuts the cleanup too!

              Joyce

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                This is one of the recipes that I have helped CeeDub
                teach at his seminars. Can also do variations of this
                using hamburger for a stuffing, as well as large white
                or red onions for a shell to cook in. Let your
                imagination run wild now with what you can do with
                that same basic method--can even place the shells in a
                dutch oven and cook that way as well. Great scout
                cooking methods also.

                Mark

                --- horsefav <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > It's strange you should mention this. The other day
                > I was watching
                > Cee Dee Dub's and on his show he made muffins in 1/2
                > orange peels.
                > Yes you are seeing right. He used the 1/2 an orange
                > peel and poured
                > the batter into it. Baked them and they looked
                > great. He also said
                > it gave the muffins a citrusy taste.
                > Depending on the kind of muffin you are making, it
                > might be worth a
                > try.
                >

                > \--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "M.
                > Akehurst"
                > <akehurstm@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Any recommendations for making muffins in a 12"?
                > I don't have a
                > round muffin pan to fit down inside it, so I was
                > going to
                > make "muffin bread" by pouring the batter and
                > cooking it a bit
                > cooler and slower to make sure the middle gets done.
                > I though of
                > using ramekins and pouring batter into each one, but
                > I don't think I
                > can fit enough into the DO to make enough. I'm
                > hoping somebody has
                > experience with this and the perfect solution.
                > Thanks for the help
                > in advance.

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jillian Cori Lippert
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                  What network is the Cee Dee Dubs show on? I've never
                  seen it listed but maybe I just haven't looked in the
                  right place or at the right time.

                  Jill

                  --- Moggiemama <lairdosb0@...> wrote:

                  > That's my idea of cooking! Cuts the cleanup too!
                  >
                  > Joyce
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, horsefav
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > It's strange you should mention this. The other
                  > day I was watching
                  > > Cee Dee Dub's and on his show he made muffins in
                  > 1/2 orange peels.
                  > > Yes you are seeing right. He used the 1/2 an
                  > orange peel and poured
                  > > the batter into it. Baked them and they looked
                  > great. He also said
                  > > it gave the muffins a citrusy taste.
                  > > Depending on the kind of muffin you are making,
                  > it might be worth a
                  > > try.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Mark & Barb
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                    He is on the RFD-TV usually on satellite. Occasionally they will show
                    his older shows that are owned by and only seen on PBS channels in
                    local markets.

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jillian Cori Lippert
                    <coriandcophoto@y...> wrote:
                    > What network is the Cee Dee Dubs show on? I've never
                    > seen it listed but maybe I just haven't looked in the
                    > right place or at the right time.
                    >
                    > Jill
                  • Julie Tarver
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                      RFD TV
                      What network is the Cee Dee Dubs show on? I've never
                      seen it listed but maybe I just haven't looked in the
                      right place or at the right time.

                      Jill

                      --- Moggiemama <lairdosb0@...> wrote:

                      > That's my idea of cooking! Cuts the cleanup too!
                      >
                      > Joyce
                      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, horsefav
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > It's strange you should mention this. The other
                      > day I was watching
                      > > Cee Dee Dub's and on his show he made muffins in
                      > 1/2 orange peels.
                      > > Yes you are seeing right. He used the 1/2 an
                      > orange peel and poured
                      > > the batter into it. Baked them and they looked
                      > great. He also said
                      > > it gave the muffins a citrusy taste.
                      > > Depending on the kind of muffin you are making,
                      > it might be worth a
                      > > try.

                      Then click on "Leave Group".

                      Dutch oven cook book Healthy cooking recipe Rotisserie cooking recipe

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                        In a message dated 9/2/2005 4:49:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        coriandcophoto@... writes:
                        What network is the Cee Dee Dubs show on? I've never
                        seen it listed but maybe I just haven't looked in the
                        right place or at the right time.

                        Jill

                        RFD-TV listed on Dish Network as channel 9409. They are also aired on Direct
                        Network TV, but I do not know the channel number.

                        Al

                      • Johnathan R. Hurst
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Cee Dub's show airs Friday nights @ 11:30 Dish network 9409

                        • Wishbone
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                            RFD-TV is only on Dish Network or Direct-TV. I think they are tring to
                            get on Cable TV too. Wishbone-ks
                          • Moggiemama
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
                              As far as I am concerned, RFDTV is one of only four channels that I
                              consistently watch. It has informative programming and I have to admit
                              to an affinity for Cee Dub's storytelling style of DO instruction. I
                              often find myself laughing out loud at some of his stories ... like
                              the one about the beer truck that overturned and he and his fellow
                              rangers "helped clean up" the beer while they were still in uniform.

                              Joyce

                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Wishbone"
                              <dutchovencook99@y...> wrote:
                              > RFD-TV is only on Dish Network or Direct-TV. I think they are tring to
                              > get on Cable TV too. Wishbone-ks
                            • Stan Baxter
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
                                Sure thing, I've been lurking here for a while just waiting for a
                                question I might could answer. Get yourself some heavy duty
                                aluminum foil. Take two 2-foot long sheets and place on top of each
                                other. Now roll the edges up and flatten them a little until you
                                have a "pan" that will fit (leave about a quarter inch clearance on
                                each side for air circulation). Place cupcake cups inside this field
                                expedient pan and fill with batter. For better results, use a
                                trivet or several balls of foil underneath the "pan" (cuts down on
                                burnt bottoms). Good Luck

                                I only work to support my Scouting habit.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
                                  Wouldn't you know ... I have digital cable and have
                                  about 700 channels can't get this show. Oh well.

                                  --- "Johnathan R. Hurst" <johnathan_hurst@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Cee Dub's show airs Friday nights @ 11:30 Dish
                                  > network 9409

                                  > removed]

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Walt
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
                                    Or Direct TV channel 379 ...

                                    On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 06:44 PM, Jillian Cori Lippert
                                    wrote:

                                    > Wouldn't you know ... I have digital cable and have
                                    > about 700 channels can't get this show. Oh well.
                                    >
                                    > --- "Johnathan R. Hurst" <johnathan_hurst@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Cee Dub's show airs Friday nights @ 11:30 Dish
                                    >> network 9409

                                    >> removed]

                                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    >

                                    > To unsubscribe from this group,
                                    > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                                    > Then click on "Leave Group".
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Walt Cornell
                                    waltcornell@...
                                    archer92284@...

                                  • SamandHeidi
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 5, 2005
                                      Or on Direct TV. channel 379.

                                      Heidi
                                      aka "Hyd"

                                      President of, GOLD COUNTRY HORSEMEN'S ASSOCIATION
                                      www.goldcountryhorsemens.com

                                      www.samberriracing.com

                                      coriandcophoto@... writes:
                                      What network is the Cee Dee Dubs show on? I've never
                                      seen it listed but maybe I just haven't looked in the
                                      right place or at the right time.

                                      Jill

                                      RFD-TV listed on Dish Network as channel 9409. They are also aired on
                                      Direct
                                      Network TV, but I do not know the channel number.

                                      Al

                                      Then click on "Leave Group".

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      Visit your group "dutchovencooking" on the web.

                                    • M. Akehurst
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
                                        Thank you For all of your advice regarding muffins. However, since I was going camping this weekend, I did not have a chance to utilize any of them with enough time. I also found an older message on the board suggesting the use of the old aluminum jello molds. I have the perfect molds at home that would fit, but did not have time to dig them out. So, instead I made muffin bread. I just poured the batter into my 12" DO. It was the perfect amount, and the perfect size DO to use. The baked up perfect. We sliced and served. (Actually, we quartered and served, because we were destined to be fat little piggies all weekend long.)

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
                                          Maybe next time pour half the batter in and let cook
                                          for a little while to "set" then spread some berry jam
                                          or fruit over the top and then pour the rest of the
                                          muffin mix in over the top to finish baking....

                                          Mark

                                          --- "M. Akehurst" <akehurstm@...> wrote:

                                          > Thank you For all of your advice regarding muffins.
                                          > However, since I was going camping this weekend, I
                                          > did not have a chance to utilize any of them with
                                          > enough time. I also found an older message on the
                                          > board suggesting the use of the old aluminum jello
                                          > molds. I have the perfect molds at home that would
                                          > fit, but did not have time to dig them out. So,
                                          > instead I made muffin bread. I just poured the
                                          > batter into my 12" DO. It was the perfect amount,
                                          > and the perfect size DO to use. The baked up
                                          > perfect. We sliced and served. (Actually, we
                                          > quartered and served, because we were destined to be
                                          > fat little piggies all weekend long.)

                                          > removed]

                                        • icookforcrowds
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                                            While we were camping this summer in the way below normal temperatures, I got to thinking how yummy it would have been to make some hot, fresh muffins. Is there a way to make muffins in the Dutch ovens? Seems like I've seen a round muffin pan that would insert in a Dutch oven but can't seem to find one on line. Ideas?

                                            Becky in MO
                                          • Wally Dennis
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 8, 2013
                                              I use jiffy muffin mix use sprite instead of milk and cook in 6" oven
                                              no pan insert.
                                              Wally

                                              While we were camping this summer in the way below normal temperatures, I got to thinking how yummy it would have been to make some hot, fresh muffins. Is there a way to make muffins in the Dutch ovens? Seems like I've seen a round muffin pan that would insert in a Dutch oven but can't seem to find one on line. Ideas?
                                              Becky in MO
                                            • ct_castauffs
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 9, 2013
                                                I'll try this one. Thanks Walster!