Great idea to support our troops

  • Connie Knie
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Pam and I are part of a group called Operation Comfort. Go check out the site if you wish.....
      www.operationcomfort.com

      Anyway, one of our projects is Freedom Quilts. These are hand made quilts that are made from 6 inch blocks of denim that are signed by folks (use 100% cotton denim and sharpies) and we only need 96 to make a full quilt.

      Wouldn't it be cool to have one done by our DO group? Each quilt has a block that tells where it came from. These quilts are sent overseas to a hospital along with Go Bags......

      This is a fantastic cause and it is Pam's idea to have you all sign squares. Now if you have old jeans lying around you can simply cut a 6inch square and then sign it, putting any kind of inspirational note or just a thank you or whatever moves you. You need to keep your note inside a 5 inch square in the middle as the outer one inch is needed plain so they can be sewn together.........

      If anyone is interested please email me off list and Pam has offered to have the squares mailed to her. I can give you her address off-line.

      connie

    • Ken Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        Connie,
        This is a fantastic idea. It would be great if every IDOS and LSDOS
        Chapter could get their members to sign a block each time they have a
        DOG. You could get enough blocks from them to complete a quilt.

        And to answer the unspoken question, no, this group is not becomming
        political. This is not politics. This is a new way to spread the
        word about Dutch Oven cooking. One thing our men and women overseas
        miss is good home cooked meals. If this is successful, some of them
        might take the time to look us up when they do return home.

        Ken

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie <cknie23100@s...>
        wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Pam and I are part of a group called Operation Comfort. Go check out
        the site if you wish.....
        > www.operationcomfort.com
        >
        > Anyway, one of our projects is Freedom Quilts. These are hand made
        quilts that are made from 6 inch blocks of denim that are signed by
        folks (use 100% cotton denim and sharpies) and we only need 96 to make
        a full quilt.

        > Wouldn't it be cool to have one done by our DO group? Each quilt has
        a block that tells where it came from. These quilts are sent overseas
        to a hospital along with Go Bags......

        > This is a fantastic cause and it is Pam's idea to have you all sign
        squares. Now if you have old jeans lying around you can simply cut a
        6inch square and then sign it, putting any kind of inspirational note
        or just a thank you or whatever moves you. You need to keep your note
        inside a 5 inch square in the middle as the outer one inch is needed
        plain so they can be sewn together.........

        > If anyone is interested please email me off list and Pam has offered
        to have the squares mailed to her. I can give you her address off-line.

        > connie
        >
        > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

      • Rochelle Anderson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          Even if we didn't send to our troops, which may seem political, I have
          donated quilt squares 9we decorated muslin with sharpie pens) to "Project
          Linus' which makes blankets for children in difficult situations. Just the
          idea of doing something a wee bit philanthropic at a DOG makes me feel good!

          Rochelle

          _____

          wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > Pam and I are part of a group called Operation Comfort. Go check out
          the site if you wish.....
          > www.operationcomfort.com
          >
          > Anyway, one of our projects is Freedom Quilts. These are hand made
          quilts that are made from 6 inch blocks of denim that are signed by
          folks (use 100% cotton denim and sharpies) and we only need 96 to make
          a full quilt.

          > Wouldn't it be cool to have one done by our DO group? Each quilt has
          a block that tells where it came from. These quilts are sent overseas
          to a hospital along with Go Bags......

          > This is a fantastic cause and it is Pam's idea to have you all sign
          squares. Now if you have old jeans lying around you can simply cut a
          6inch square and then sign it, putting any kind of inspirational note
          or just a thank you or whatever moves you. You need to keep your note
          inside a 5 inch square in the middle as the outer one inch is needed
          plain so they can be sewn together.........

          > If anyone is interested please email me off list and Pam has offered
          to have the squares mailed to her. I can give you her address off-line.

          > connie
          >
          > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

          Then click on "Leave Group".

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Service.

        • Pam Greene
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            Thanks Connie and Ken!

            I'll be glad to sew the quilts together. If every chapter has enough (96) blocks for a whole quilt we'll sew those all together. Email Connie or me off-list and one of us will give you the address to mail them to.

            If you need packages of 6" blocks to sign -- let us know!

            Thanks,
            Pam
            Farmington, MI

            wrote:
            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > Pam and I are part of a group called Operation Comfort. Go check out
            the site if you wish.....
            > www.operationcomfort.com
            >
            > Anyway, one of our projects is Freedom Quilts. These are hand made
            quilts that are made from 6 inch blocks of denim that are signed by
            folks (use 100% cotton denim and sharpies) and we only need 96 to make
            a full quilt.

            > Wouldn't it be cool to have one done by our DO group? Each quilt has
            a block that tells where it came from. These quilts are sent overseas
            to a hospital along with Go Bags......

            > This is a fantastic cause and it is Pam's idea to have you all sign
            squares. Now if you have old jeans lying around you can simply cut a
            6inch square and then sign it, putting any kind of inspirational note
            or just a thank you or whatever moves you. You need to keep your note
            inside a 5 inch square in the middle as the outer one inch is needed
            plain so they can be sewn together.........

            > If anyone is interested please email me off list and Pam has offered
            to have the squares mailed to her. I can give you her address off-line.

            > connie
            >
            > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

            Then click on "Leave Group".

          • Brenda Wildish
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi Pam~

              Long time my friend!

              Is there a time line we need to follow?

              Brenda
              So Cal Chapter, IDOS
            • fran seibel

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Good morning everyone,

                  I did hesitate to send the info that I did but I do not see it as political at all. All I see is 1000s of American men and women out there fighting in harsh and scary conditions and whatever your political affiliation as a mother I am bound to send love and support to the troops.

                  NO POLITICS involved.

                  connie

                • Pam Greene
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Brenda!!!

                    How are you? It HAS been a long time!

                    No time line -- just when you get some together send them on. It takes 96 squares to complete a quilt. We have groups doing signings and single ones, too. All will get put into quilts, but a quilt put together from one group is awesome! As a matter of fact, have everyone sign a couple if you can (if you have enough old jeans to cut squares). If you need squares, let us know! This is an ongoing effort.

                    Take it easy my friend!
                    Pam

                    Brenda Wildish <DutchOvenGal@...> wrote:
                    Hi Pam~

                    Long time my friend!

                    Is there a time line we need to follow?

                    Brenda
                    So Cal Chapter, IDOS

                    Then click on "Leave Group".

                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                      I don't see the problem here. If you want to send some squares do
                      so. If not, don't. I think this is a great idea and I commend you
                      for your efforts to make our troops feel more comfortable. I am a
                      former sailor and I would have been gratefull for a sign of support.
                      Thanks to all who offer help from all the soldiers and sailors.

                      <cknie23100@s...> wrote:
                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > Pam and I are part of a group called Operation Comfort. Go check
                      out the site if you wish.....
                      > www.operationcomfort.com
                      >
                      > Anyway, one of our projects is Freedom Quilts. These are hand made
                      quilts that are made from 6 inch blocks of denim that are signed by
                      folks (use 100% cotton denim and sharpies) and we only need 96 to
                      make a full quilt.

                      > Wouldn't it be cool to have one done by our DO group? Each quilt
                      has a block that tells where it came from. These quilts are sent
                      overseas to a hospital along with Go Bags......

                      > This is a fantastic cause and it is Pam's idea to have you all
                      sign squares. Now if you have old jeans lying around you can simply
                      cut a 6inch square and then sign it, putting any kind of
                      inspirational note or just a thank you or whatever moves you. You
                      need to keep your note inside a 5 inch square in the middle as the
                      outer one inch is needed plain so they can be sewn together.........

                      > If anyone is interested please email me off list and Pam has
                      offered to have the squares mailed to her. I can give you her
                      address off-line.

                      > connie
                      >
                      > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

                    • Jim Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                        I served in the military during the Vietnam era and now have two sons
                        serving. One son returned from Iraq in March and the other is there
                        until the end of the year. From pictures my sons have shown me, the
                        injuries are horrific since most of the injuries are from bombings.
                        Those injured soldiers need all the support we can give them. Just to
                        know that someone cares means a lot. This is not political. It's just
                        plain old red, white, and blue Americanism.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Oh you're gonna love this then. We have recieved donations for two EZ baths and we are sending them over. These are inflatable baths that are filled with water to ease the suffering right there at the front. The great thing about them is that because they are inflatable they can be easily moved and used all over the hospital unit.....

                          connie

                        • Charcin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Hello Folks!

                            Can you believe its June already???!! Where did the months go??!

                            In just a little over 2 weeks the Northwoods Chapter will be having their
                            DOG at Hartman's Creek State Park near Waupaca WI. We will be in group
                            campsite #2. This site will hold 50 people for camping, and lots more for
                            cooking and eating!
                            I would like to know who is planning on coming out, and if your camping or
                            not, so we can plan our schedule and such!

                            We will be having the DOG on June 18th, but have the 17th through the
                            19th reserved, and just might have to cook up something for the evening of
                            the 17th! Everyone is invited, and we would love to see a huge gathering!
                            Along with the DOG we will be holding the Annual Meeting, and have some
                            very important things to discuss, so the more the better!

                            Come on out and have some good ole Wisconsin Fun!
                            Cin

                            Cindy & Charlie Overton
                            Black Pot Demo's
                            www.blackpotdemos.bravehost.com

                          • lmfwric
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 28, 2005
                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Armstrong"
                              <dawgs8um@1...> wrote:
                              > I served in the military during the Vietnam era and now have two sons
                              > serving. One son returned from Iraq in March and the other is there
                              > until the end of the year. From pictures my sons have shown me, the
                              > injuries are horrific since most of the injuries are from bombings.
                              > Those injured soldiers need all the support we can give them. Just
                              > know that someone cares means a lot. This is not political. It's
                              just
                              > plain old red, white, and blue Americanism.

                              Welcome home Jim, Perhaps spending the effort to help ALL of those on
                              extended tours in the Middle East would be a better idea. If building
                              a quilt like the one mentioned makes you feel better about the
                              situation please do so. But remember, we probably can't address all
                              of the casualties with quilts for each. We can take action to ensure
                              that Veterans Benefits and VA Medical services are adequately funded
                              to serve those who served us. They are currently underfunded by more
                              than 1B$. Send the quilt to the chairman of the House Armed Services
                              committee or the veterans affairs committee with a note that you wish
                              you could bring comfort to all the casualties and personally ask the
                              chairman if he would select one casualty to whom he can present the
                              quilt. Much more bang for the stitch, I think. Might turn a few
                              heads too. Al Knoll, MAAG, RVN, Laos, Cambodia 1961-1963, "we were
                              ahead when I left".

                              Now how to do those vertical bisquits again? Miserable failure over
                              memorial day underdone hockeypucks. Guess I need some lessons. Any
                              instructional videos/DVDs out there?

                              Also does anyone use a Hobart square dutch oven? Woody was a magician.