New Year Cooking!

  • CaptMidnight1943
    Message 1 of 3003 , Jan 1, 2002
      There are traditions for New Year cooking in many
      cultures, these are the dishes I made for New<br> Year's
      Hog jowl and blackeyed peas.<br><br> Now you can cook
      these blackeyes in regular salt pork, but the salted
      2 lbs dried black eyed peas<br> 1 lb salted pork
      jowl-cut into chunks<br> good shake black pepper<br> 14
      cups water<br> throw in a pot and simmer a couple
      hours till peas are very tender.<br><br> Pork neck
      bones and cabbage<br><br> 2.5 lbs pork neck bones(not
      head green cabbage-remove core and cut into
      powder<br> good shake garlic powder<br> 1 tbl mixed pickling
      spice<br><br> Throw neck bones and spices into the pot-cover
      with 2 inches of water-simmer about 2 to 2.5 hours,
      ot<br> untill neck bones are falling apart-throw in
      green cabbage, mix well and let cook in stock untill
      bones-let the folks pick the meat from the bones.<br><br> I
      served with chopped onion, jalapenos, and Tabasco brand
      hot sauce-good stuff!<br> � Cooking with Da Cap'n
    • mississippi_biscuit
      Message 3003 of 3003 , Feb 7, 2011