Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] What did you cook this weekend?

  • Jim Lewis
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
      --I cooked a cajun beef stew served with brown rice and biscuits.
      Had a large time with about 100 other folks. The Dogwood chapter of
      LSDOS has taken off. We are now the largest chapter in that group.
      Jim Lewis

      - In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, awcreative@a... wrote:
      > We did our Southwest Ranch Beans with Cornbread at the D.O.G. at the
      Tyler

    • shattuckb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
        My wife is QM for a Boy Scout Wood Badge course. Since the road to our camp
        was washed out, we're using plan "B." All of our meals will be primarily done
        in DO's. This past weekend she tried a couple of recipes from our DOG
        cookbook that got rave reviews. I failed in my resolve to not have seconds. The
        second weekend of the course is supposed to be backpacking types of meals, but
        the area we'll be camping does not allow open flames. She and her staff will be
        doing do meals and bringing them to us. I know we won't starve.
        Moose

      • Will Shattuck
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
          On Apr 4, 2005 10:40 AM, shattuckb@... <shattuckb@...> wrote:

          > My wife is QM for a Boy Scout Wood Badge course. Since the road to our camp
          > was washed out, we're using plan "B." All of our meals will be primarily done
          > in DO's.

          Mom and Dad did better than I did this weekend :) The only thing I did
          with iron this weekend was rename my computer to CASTIRON ;) ;)

          My daughter (4 1/2 years old) and I made Chicken Won Ton Soup on
          Sunday. It was wonderful to do this with her help. The soup and won
          tons were great. The only thing I would change is to have a slightly
          stronger chicken broth and do pork instead of chicken for the won
          tons. It took us about 2 hours to get everything done. While I was
          turning chicken breast pieces into ground chicken in the food
          processor my daughter was facing the wall saying, "Welcome to our
          cooking show. My daddy is cutting up the chicken. We're going to
          make won ton soup". hehe We then proceeded to have the
          Daddy-Daughter cooking show ... it was great :)

          Have a happy Monday.

          --
          Will
          --------

          When you get to your wit's end, you'll find God lives there.
        • jonz1957
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, shattuckb@a... wrote:
            > My wife is QM for a Boy Scout Wood Badge course. The
            > second weekend of the course is supposed to be backpacking types
            of meals.
            > Moose

            A few year ago, the youth of our Church group had a Trek, a sort of
            youth retreat. After pulling a six hundred pound hand cart up the
            mountain, it was decided to treat them with a Dutch oven dinner.
            The area where the meal was to be feed was a no-burn area. The
            solution, every one of us, about twenty-five to thirty parents, each
            cooked two Dutch oven full of food at home. Each Dutch oven was
            packed in a banana box and stuffed full of crumpled up newspaper.
            The boxes were then transported to the dinning site. The newspapers
            insulated the ovens kept warm for several hours while we were
            waiting for our children to come off the mountain.

            In answer to the original question, barbeque chicken, Dutch oven
            potatoes, and peach dump cake.

            Jim Jones, Bountiful UT
          • BISCUIT
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
              A BIG HOWDY from Da Mississippi Black Pots Chapter. Congratulations
              on your new Chapter. Keep us informed of your DOGs. Sugar Booger and
              I camped at Tyler a few years ago. Camped in the Black Jack area. A
              nice area.

              We are about 5 hours away.

              Keep up the good work!

            • shattuckb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                In a message dated 4/4/2005 12:54:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                willshattuck@... writes:

                Mom and Dad did better than I did this weekend :) The only thing I did
                with iron this weekend was rename my computer to CASTIRON ;) ;)

                My daughter (4 1/2 years old) and I made Chicken Won Ton Soup on
                Sunday. It was wonderful to do this with her help. The soup and won
                tons were great. The only thing I would change is to have a slightly
                stronger chicken broth and do pork instead of chicken for the won
                tons. It took us about 2 hours to get everything done. While I was
                turning chicken breast pieces into ground chicken in the food
                processor my daughter was facing the wall saying, "Welcome to our
                cooking show. My daddy is cutting up the chicken. We're going to
                make won ton soup". hehe We then proceeded to have the
                Daddy-Daughter cooking show ... it was great :)

                Have a happy Monday.

                --
                Will

                I love it when the plan comes together. Nice work Will & Hannah.
                Papa Moose

              • John Frerichs
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                  I was QM at Woodbadge Course C-26-02. Really had a great time. Counting staff it was about 60 people. For our end of course banquet we roasted a whole hog and had a Luau theme. Put the hog on at about 1 AM so that it would be ready by noon. Not much sleep, but a great time.

                  John

                  shattuckb@... wrote:
                  My wife is QM for a Boy Scout Wood Badge course. Since the road to our camp
                  was washed out, we're using plan "B." All of our meals will be primarily done
                  in DO's.

                • Ken Brown
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                    I went to a local Chili cookoff and fundraiser this weekend.
                    Cooked Chili in a 12 inch dutch oven, beans in a cast aluminum do, and
                    a Mississippi Swamp Cake and a Peach Cobbler for tasters choice.

                    It was a great weekend. I invited some dutch oven cooks to look us
                    over at the group, so if you did, the ugly guy in the red apron with
                    the beard and sunburn was me.