Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] UTR Browning

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
      You took the words right outta my mouth! I have had my
      UTR for 4 years now and love it. We first used it to
      cook a Turkey dinner, complete with stuffing, corn,
      mashed potatoes, rolls, & gravy on a 3 day scout
      campout up in the White Mtns on a fishing trip. It was
      fantastic and one of the meals the boys still talk
      about today. I cant count how many turkeys I have now
      cooked in my UTR's. I, for one, am glad I did get
      one.......and now own 2 (actually 3 if you count my
      aluminum ultimate dutch oven and enhancement kit that
      can also be used as a turkey roaster). Keep up the
      good work, John!

      Mark Wilkins
      Glendale, AZ

      --- John Foster <jfoster@...> wrote:

      > > After reading everyone's replies that used their
      > UTR
      > > this year, I'm
      > > glad I didn't get one.
      > > ~ Kristin
      > I'm glad I got one. I cooked two turkeys this
      > Thanksgiving - one in my
      > UTR and one in my 17" MACA. They were both
      > outstanding! And Juicy! If
      > you are hung up on brown skin and want one to look
      > like they do on TV
      > or in the ads, do what they do -- brush them with
      > Kitchen Bouquet.
      > That's how they make them look so uniformly brown
      > and pretty. Who eats
      > the skin anyway?
      > I've had my UTR less than a month and have already
      > cooked two turkeys
      > in it and my son borrowed it and cooked a third one
      > in it at his
      > workplace, so it has been off to a good start. I
      > LOVE it! I am
      > thinking about doing turkey at scout camp this
      > summer and turkey
      > enchiladas with the left overs. I use cream of
      > chicken soup, diluted
      > with 1/2 can of milk and a small can of diced green
      > chilis as the
      > sauce, corn tortillas, turkey, and cheese. This year
      > I took a shortcut
      > and instead of rolling the enchiladas I just layered
      > it
      > "lasagna-style" and you know what, it tastes exactly
      > the same and is
      > 10 times faster and I think would be a good Dutch
      > oven recipe.
      > John Foster
      > Duchesne, Utah

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Kristin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
        Well...maybe I wouldn't complain if I received one as a gift
        (LOL) :-)

        Thanks for your endorsement of the UTR. It is always good to get
        both opinions. I do eat the skin, at least when breast is served,
        but I had no idea that Kitchen Bouquet would brown it so nice. I'll
        have to try that one.

        ~ Kristin
        SLC, UT

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John Foster"
        <jfoster@d...> wrote:

        > > After reading everyone's replies that used their UTR
        > > this year, I'm
        > > glad I didn't get one.
        > > ~ Kristin
        > I'm glad I got one. I cooked two turkeys this Thanksgiving - one
        in my
        > UTR and one in my 17" MACA. They were both outstanding! And Juicy!
        If
        > you are hung up on brown skin and want one to look like they do on
        TV
        > or in the ads, do what they do -- brush them with Kitchen Bouquet.
        > That's how they make them look so uniformly brown and pretty. Who
        eats
        > the skin anyway?
        > I've had my UTR less than a month and have already cooked two
        turkeys
        > in it and my son borrowed it and cooked a third one in it at his
        > workplace, so it has been off to a good start. I LOVE it! I am
        > thinking about doing turkey at scout camp this summer and turkey
        > enchiladas with the left overs. I use cream of chicken soup,
        diluted
        > with 1/2 can of milk and a small can of diced green chilis as the
        > sauce, corn tortillas, turkey, and cheese. This year I took a
        shortcut
        > and instead of rolling the enchiladas I just layered it
        > "lasagna-style" and you know what, it tastes exactly the same and
        is
        > 10 times faster and I think would be a good Dutch oven recipe.
        > John Foster
        > Duchesne, Utah
      • ilfip
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
          I roasted my prettiest turkey this thanksgiving. Browned up and crisp
          like a magazine picture. Just butter at the beginning, no basting. I
          used a recipe from Cook's Illustrated. Technique, not Kitchen
          Bouquet--blech.

          Phil