UTR Browning

  • John Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2004
      > After reading everyone's replies that used their UTR
      > this year, I'm
      > glad I didn't get one.
      > ~ Kristin
      I'm glad I got one. I cooked two turkeys this Thanksgiving - one in my
      UTR and one in my 17" MACA. They were both outstanding! And Juicy! If
      you are hung up on brown skin and want one to look like they do on TV
      or in the ads, do what they do -- brush them with Kitchen Bouquet.
      That's how they make them look so uniformly brown and pretty. Who eats
      the skin anyway?
      I've had my UTR less than a month and have already cooked two turkeys
      in it and my son borrowed it and cooked a third one in it at his
      workplace, so it has been off to a good start. I LOVE it! I am
      thinking about doing turkey at scout camp this summer and turkey
      enchiladas with the left overs. I use cream of chicken soup, diluted
      with 1/2 can of milk and a small can of diced green chilis as the
      sauce, corn tortillas, turkey, and cheese. This year I took a shortcut
      and instead of rolling the enchiladas I just layered it
      "lasagna-style" and you know what, it tastes exactly the same and is
      10 times faster and I think would be a good Dutch oven recipe.
      John Foster
      Duchesne, Utah
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
        You took the words right outta my mouth! I have had my
        UTR for 4 years now and love it. We first used it to
        cook a Turkey dinner, complete with stuffing, corn,
        mashed potatoes, rolls, & gravy on a 3 day scout
        campout up in the White Mtns on a fishing trip. It was
        fantastic and one of the meals the boys still talk
        about today. I cant count how many turkeys I have now
        cooked in my UTR's. I, for one, am glad I did get
        one.......and now own 2 (actually 3 if you count my
        aluminum ultimate dutch oven and enhancement kit that
        can also be used as a turkey roaster). Keep up the
        good work, John!

        Mark Wilkins
        Glendale, AZ

        --- John Foster <jfoster@...> wrote:

        > > After reading everyone's replies that used their
        > UTR
        > > this year, I'm
        > > glad I didn't get one.
        > > ~ Kristin
        > I'm glad I got one. I cooked two turkeys this
        > Thanksgiving - one in my
        > UTR and one in my 17" MACA. They were both
        > outstanding! And Juicy! If
        > you are hung up on brown skin and want one to look
        > like they do on TV
        > or in the ads, do what they do -- brush them with
        > Kitchen Bouquet.
        > That's how they make them look so uniformly brown
        > and pretty. Who eats
        > the skin anyway?
        > I've had my UTR less than a month and have already
        > cooked two turkeys
        > in it and my son borrowed it and cooked a third one
        > in it at his
        > workplace, so it has been off to a good start. I
        > LOVE it! I am
        > thinking about doing turkey at scout camp this
        > summer and turkey
        > enchiladas with the left overs. I use cream of
        > chicken soup, diluted
        > with 1/2 can of milk and a small can of diced green
        > chilis as the
        > sauce, corn tortillas, turkey, and cheese. This year
        > I took a shortcut
        > and instead of rolling the enchiladas I just layered
        > it
        > "lasagna-style" and you know what, it tastes exactly
        > the same and is
        > 10 times faster and I think would be a good Dutch
        > oven recipe.
        > John Foster
        > Duchesne, Utah

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Kristin
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
          Well...maybe I wouldn't complain if I received one as a gift
          (LOL) :-)

          Thanks for your endorsement of the UTR. It is always good to get
          both opinions. I do eat the skin, at least when breast is served,
          but I had no idea that Kitchen Bouquet would brown it so nice. I'll
          have to try that one.

          ~ Kristin
          SLC, UT

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John Foster"
          <jfoster@d...> wrote:

          > > After reading everyone's replies that used their UTR
          > > this year, I'm
          > > glad I didn't get one.
          > > ~ Kristin
          > I'm glad I got one. I cooked two turkeys this Thanksgiving - one
          in my
          > UTR and one in my 17" MACA. They were both outstanding! And Juicy!
          If
          > you are hung up on brown skin and want one to look like they do on
          TV
          > or in the ads, do what they do -- brush them with Kitchen Bouquet.
          > That's how they make them look so uniformly brown and pretty. Who
          eats
          > the skin anyway?
          > I've had my UTR less than a month and have already cooked two
          turkeys
          > in it and my son borrowed it and cooked a third one in it at his
          > workplace, so it has been off to a good start. I LOVE it! I am
          > thinking about doing turkey at scout camp this summer and turkey
          > enchiladas with the left overs. I use cream of chicken soup,
          diluted
          > with 1/2 can of milk and a small can of diced green chilis as the
          > sauce, corn tortillas, turkey, and cheese. This year I took a
          shortcut
          > and instead of rolling the enchiladas I just layered it
          > "lasagna-style" and you know what, it tastes exactly the same and
          is
          > 10 times faster and I think would be a good Dutch oven recipe.
          > John Foster
          > Duchesne, Utah
        • ilfip
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
            I roasted my prettiest turkey this thanksgiving. Browned up and crisp
            like a magazine picture. Just butter at the beginning, no basting. I
            used a recipe from Cook's Illustrated. Technique, not Kitchen
            Bouquet--blech.

            Phil