Re: Rusty Dutch Oven

  • lonehichillbilly@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      Mark,
      I wonder if there would be any problem with just sandblasting, and
      re-season it? I have one I'm thinking about doing that to. Seems like a good way to
      start over, if the blasting don't mess it up somehow. At least there wouldn't
      be any rust...LOL.
      Can you buy new lids only for old Dutch Ovens? I have an old rusty one,
      with no lid. I've been wanting to restore it, just to see if I can...LOL.
      Later.....

      Jim
      Yadkinville, N.C.

    • Bear
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        Jim,
        Before you go to the trouble of sandblasting your oven, I'd try filling it with your favorite type of cheap cola. It should eat through the rust and leave you with an oven that is ready to season. Just let it sit for a couple of days then dump it out, it's a whole lot easier and could be a lot cheaper. Worth a shot.....
        bear in AZ

        lonehichillbilly@... wrote:

        Mark,
        I wonder if there would be any problem with just sandblasting, and
        re-season it? I have one I'm thinking about doing that to. Seems like a good way to
        start over, if the blasting don't mess it up somehow. At least there wouldn't
        be any rust...LOL.
        Can you buy new lids only for old Dutch Ovens? I have an old rusty one,
        with no lid. I've been wanting to restore it, just to see if I can...LOL.
        Later.....

        Jim
        Yadkinville, N.C.

        Then click on "Leave Group".

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hi Jim,

          You can sandblast the oven. I know a couple people that have done that and
          it worked fine. as far as lids go, you can try. Sometimes it gets a little
          tricky when the molds change. If the lid does not fit, don't buy it. Go to the
          Lodge outlet in Sevierville, TN or the one in I-85 in SC and they may have
          one that will fit.

          Mark Case
          Randleman, NC

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
            I ran across someone once that sandblasted their oven
            to the point that it was actually smooth as
            glass-----and it ruined it. No matter what he did, it
            would not take a seasoning cuz all the ridges/ruts
            that hold the seasoning to the oven were now gone.
            Caution would be the word here.

            Mark

            --- lonehichillbilly@... wrote:

            > Mark,
            > I wonder if there would be any problem with
            > just sandblasting, and
            > re-season it? I have one I'm thinking about doing
            > that to. Seems like a good way to
            > start over, if the blasting don't mess it up
            > somehow. At least there wouldn't
            > be any rust...LOL.
            > Can you buy new lids only for old Dutch Ovens?
            > I have an old rusty one,
            > with no lid. I've been wanting to restore it, just
            > to see if I can...LOL.
            > Later.....
            >
            > Jim
            > Yadkinville, N.C.

            > removed]

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • jojones1997@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              In a message dated 11/2/2004 2:46:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              barb7513@... writes:

              > I ran across someone once that sandblasted their oven
              > to the point that it was actually smooth as
              > glass-----and it ruined it. No matter what he did, it
              > would not take a seasoning cuz all the ridges/ruts
              > that hold the seasoning to the oven were now gone.
              > Caution would be the word here.

              Omigod. Well, hey, we're all grownups. Currently I have C2 Coke (that's how
              it apparently was labeled and I still don't know what C2 means) in a test
              pan, but one I don't want to lose at any cost. Should I abandon that now?
              Joanna

            • Mark & Barb
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                Well, I dont know what your trying to accomplish, but in reference to
                soaking cast iron in Coca Cola, it has been said before to use just
                that...Coca Cola...........not a generic or substitute brand; not
                Diet-Coke, not anything else but the real thing--original COKE only.
                That is what has had the success in removing rust.

              • lonehichillbilly@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Bear,
                  Thanks. I might try the Coca-Cola. There's a sandblasting shop near
                  here, and I figure he'd probably blast it for $5.00, and that would get it down to
                  clean metal. I guess if a couple of Cokes will do it, then I need to try
                  it...LOL. Of course, a couple gallons of Coke would probably end up costing that
                  much. It would be interesting to do. Just think, some of us drink that stuff.
                  Maybe that's where the old expression "cast-iron stomach"...LOL.

                  Jim
                  N. Carolina

                • jojones1997@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/2/2004 8:44:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    barb7513@... writes:

                    > Well, I dont know what your trying to accomplish, but in reference to
                    > soaking cast iron in Coca Cola, it has been said before to use just
                    > that...Coca Cola...........not a generic or substitute brand; not
                    > Diet-Coke, not anything else but the real thing--original COKE only.
                    > That is what has had the success in removing rust.

                    Barb, one person said just use Coca Cola. I think that's what he used in his
                    particular camp. A number of others have said any cheap cola would get you
                    down to bare iron just the same. I thought I'd bought original Coca Cola for
                    this purpose (not diet, which we usually have on hand). This package says
                    Coca Cola "C2." I'm clueless what C2 means. I finally tried it anyway under the
                    banner, "what the hey, let's give it a shot." I'm not trying to de-rust a
                    pan, just remove what I think could be a better base seasoning, so I'd like to
                    get it down to bare iron again to start over. Thanks for reminding me.
                    Reading your message, I just poured it out to check its progress. So far (about 12
                    hours) I think it's eaten off the odd shiny spots. So far so good. ;-)
                    Joanna