Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] ALL MOST NEW MEMBER

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
      Ron - Are you in the Great Smoky Mtn. Council? I've got a Venturing Crew that loves to demo DO cooking if you would be interested.

      ronbobomc01 <RonboboMc01@...> wrote:Hi all. I have been here about 3 months now. I stay very busy, so I
      havn't posted but a couple of times. Well, camping with Cub Scouts
      and Boy Scouts is gearing up for fall. I work with both. I will be
      doing
      more DO cooking this scouting year. UPS just delivered a new shipment
      today. All new lodge, 7 qt. 12" dutch oven. a 5 qt. 10.5" DO, A 10'
      and 12' skilet, a 10.5" round gridle. These will go with my several
      other peice's of iron. I live in S.E. Tennessee. Does anyone have any
      information on a 5" lodge kittle with the # 10k on the bottom.
      THANKS RON

      Then click on "Leave Group".

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Cheryl
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
        I love to read recipes even if I don't use them and consider any source a good one. Web is faster to import into Master Cook software and the BSA Crew that I'm an advisor with is currently trying out recipes and telling me what they want to change in each of their copies so I can do personal DO and Outdoor cookbooks for each them. Three are seniors this year and I'm thinking this will be a nice graduation present plus we get to eat well at meetings!

        Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:
        of recipes for DO cooking (cookbook, website) what would it be?

        Gail

        Then click on "Leave Group".

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • John W
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
          When looking for a certain recipe I use Google Search engine. It
          goes all over the place getting hundreds of recipes of the same
          thing but from differnt online cookbooks & other sources on the net.
          Pick out 1 or 2 that you like best. Click Print & you in Cooking in
          Heaven. johnw-ks
        • Gail Southwick
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
            A question for those of you who use parchement paper in your DO. If you are using your do for a dessert and wish to use parchment paper, do you grease the oven before putting down the paper, and then grease the paper as well- the way you would if you were baking in a regular oven? Please explain.

            Thanks,

            Gail
            gsouthwick@...

          • John W
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
              I usually do when I'm baking cakes. I use Bakers Joy or something
              like that on Cakes. johnw-ks
            • Gail Southwick
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                John, thanks for your reply. Do you use parchement paper in the DO other than for baking cakes?

                John W <dutchovencook99@...> wrote:I usually do when I'm baking cakes. I use Bakers Joy or something
                like that on Cakes. johnw-ks

                Then click on "Leave Group".

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Gail
                gsouthwick@...

              • Brenda Wildish
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                  Hi Gail~

                  I don't grease my oven when I use parchment and everything comes out
                  fine. I use parchment for pies that I wish to present on the lid,
                  cakes, etc.

                  Brenda
                • John W
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                    No, I dont use parchment paper on anything else. I do a Pineapple-
                    upside down cake in my 8" DO and it comes out with no proplem. A
                    well seasoned pot helps real well. johnw-ks
                  • Gail Southwick
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                      Well, I decided to try the DO for dinner tonight. I used the charcoal chimney and got everything started. Used the the under and on top coal amounts from the recipe. It smells really good, but the problem is.......This recipe is supposed to cook for at least 4 hours, so I have to add more charcoal. I thought I read that you just need to snuggle the new coals up next to the old ones and they will take off from there. The recipe says to add coals each hour. I thought I'd be smart and give myself some extra time- so at 40-45 minutes I added the charcoal. The new ones just didn't catch on. Perhaps I misunderstood? How do you handle this?? Do you have to light the new ones in the chimney as you did with the originals??

                      This isn't going to finish in time to eat tonight, but we will leave it cooking and have it tomorrow. If it tastes half as good as it smells ........mmmmmmm.

                      Thanks

                      Gail
                      gsouthwick@...

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                        I would lite some more in the chiminey--put them on.
                        Might delay dinner time by a little bit, but still
                        should be ok

                        --- Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:

                        > Well, I decided to try the DO for dinner tonight. I
                        > used the charcoal chimney and got everything
                        > started. Used the the under and on top coal amounts
                        > from the recipe. It smells really good, but the
                        > problem is.......This recipe is supposed to cook for
                        > at least 4 hours, so I have to add more charcoal. I
                        > thought I read that you just need to snuggle the new
                        > coals up next to the old ones and they will take off
                        > from there. The recipe says to add coals each hour.
                        > I thought I'd be smart and give myself some extra
                        > time- so at 40-45 minutes I added the charcoal. The
                        > new ones just didn't catch on. Perhaps I
                        > misunderstood? How do you handle this?? Do you have
                        > to light the new ones in the chimney as you did with
                        > the originals??
                        >
                        > This isn't going to finish in time to eat tonight,
                        > but we will leave it cooking and have it tomorrow.
                        > If it tastes half as good as it smells
                        > ........mmmmmmm.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >

                        > Gail
                        > gsouthwick@...

                        > removed]

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Gail Southwick
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                          Mark,

                          That is what I did, but for future reference, how are you suposed to do it?

                          Thanks for all you help,
                          Gail

                          Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:
                          I would lite some more in the chiminey--put them on.
                          Might delay dinner time by a little bit, but still
                          should be ok

                          --- Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:

                          > Well, I decided to try the DO for dinner tonight. I
                          > used the charcoal chimney and got everything
                          > started. Used the the under and on top coal amounts
                          > from the recipe. It smells really good, but the
                          > problem is.......This recipe is supposed to cook for
                          > at least 4 hours, so I have to add more charcoal. I
                          > thought I read that you just need to snuggle the new
                          > coals up next to the old ones and they will take off
                          > from there. The recipe says to add coals each hour.
                          > I thought I'd be smart and give myself some extra
                          > time- so at 40-45 minutes I added the charcoal. The
                          > new ones just didn't catch on. Perhaps I
                          > misunderstood? How do you handle this?? Do you have
                          > to light the new ones in the chimney as you did with
                          > the originals??
                          >
                          > This isn't going to finish in time to eat tonight,
                          > but we will leave it cooking and have it tomorrow.
                          > If it tastes half as good as it smells
                          > ........mmmmmmm.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >

                          > Gail
                          > gsouthwick@...

                          > removed]

                          Then click on "Leave Group".

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Gail
                          gsouthwick@...

                        • Dirth Bredon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                            I have never gotten coals to light by "suggling" I always have to use the chimney.

                            Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:Mark,

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                              I dont snuggle my charcoal.......I like to give them
                              the opportunity for lighter fluid lighting like the
                              rest of them.....dont wanna discriminate.

                              Mark

                              --- Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:

                              > Mark,
                              >
                              > That is what I did, but for future reference, how
                              > are you suposed to do it?
                              >
                              > Thanks for all you help,
                              > Gail

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                            • Rochelle Anderson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 7, 2004
                                I always heat up more briquettes than I originally need. So, after I put
                                the ones I need under and over, I add more coals to the hot ones, and by
                                doing that, they heat up too. I've done this in my chimney, and I've laid
                                them all out on my cook table, piled new coals on top of hot coals, and both
                                methods work. Then I've got fresh coals when I need them, including ones to
                                use for cleaning and re-oiling.

                                Rochelle