new member questions

  • Gail Southwick
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 28, 2004
      Hello, I have just joined this group and have learned alot already while going over the group site. I hope to learn a whole lot more.

      Are there any DOGs in Georgia?

      I know that I can buy DOs over the internet, but where can I see them in person? I called a few places this morning that I expected to carry this sort of thing without any luck.

      Thanks for your help,
      Gail

    • Dirth Bredon
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 28, 2004
        Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and Gander Mountain all have Lodge or Camp Chef DO's. Not sure if any of them are in Georgia. Almost every region has a similar chain.

        Good Luck!

        Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:
        Hello, I have just joined this group and have learned alot already while going over the group site. I hope to learn a whole lot more.

        Are there any DOGs in Georgia?

        I know that I can buy DOs over the internet, but where can I see them in person? I called a few places this morning that I expected to carry this sort of thing without any luck.

        Thanks for your help,
        Gail

        Then click on "Leave Group".

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • black kettle
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28, 2004
          Gail, I assume since you ask about DOGs in Ga that is
          where you live. Bass Pro Shops has a store in Atlanta
          and Savannah. They carry Lodge products and have alot
          of CDOs on display (at least at their store in
          Springfield Mo)

          Jerry

          --- Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I have just joined this group and have
          > learned alot already while going over the group
          > site. I hope to learn a whole lot more.
          >
          > Are there any DOGs in Georgia?
          >
          > I know that I can buy DOs over the internet, but
          > where can I see them in person? I called a few
          > places this morning that I expected to carry this
          > sort of thing without any luck.
          >
          > Thanks for your help,
          > Gail

          > removed]

          =====
          IDOS 5", CC 10 3/4, Lodge 10" and 10"D, 2-12"and 12"D, 14"D
          10-12" skillet, 10" chick fryer, 10-13" indoor DO, 8 and 10" Wagner griddle

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • awcreative@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2004
            In a message dated 8/28/2004 4:13:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
            gsouthwick@... writes:
            know that I can buy DOs over the internet, but where can I see them in
            person? I called a few places this morning that I expected to carry this sort of
            thing without any luck.

            Hi Gail,

            Try Outdoor Outfitters, Hardware Stores, and such places to look for Dutch
            Ovens. If you are in the NW Corner of your State, try going on to South
            Pittsburgh, TN to the Lodge Outlet store.

            Al Wilkie
            Member - LSDOS

          • Felicia
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
              And while they don't always have a wide selection of shapes and
              sizes... I found mine at WALMART!

              F.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dirth Bredon
              <dethbredon@y...> wrote:
              > Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and Gander Mountain
              all have Lodge or Camp Chef DO's. Not sure if any of them are in
              Georgia. Almost every region has a similar chain.

              > Good Luck!
              >
              > Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@y...> wrote:
              > Hello, I have just joined this group and have learned alot already
              while going over the group site. I hope to learn a whole lot more.

              > Are there any DOGs in Georgia?
              >
              > I know that I can buy DOs over the internet, but where can I see
              them in person? I called a few places this morning that I expected to
              carry this sort of thing without any luck.

              > Thanks for your help,
              > Gail

              > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
              page.
              > Then click on "Leave Group".
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • Gail Southwick
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                Well I certainly have a Walmart nearby! Was it a Lodge with feet? Which dept., camping or housewares? I'll have to give ol' wally world a call.

                And to the others that have replied:

                Thank you, I have located a BassPro shop within about 40 minutes of me. I have also found an REI that I will call to see if they carry cast iron- that's much closer. And South Pittsburg is about 2 hours from me, according to mapquest, but I'll save that for after I give this a try for a while. If I start to get the hang of it, I will definitely have to take a day to go there and add pieces to (what is sure to become) a 'gotta have' list.

                Thanks again,
                Gail

                Felicia <fianaitbarryro@...> wrote:
                And while they don't always have a wide selection of shapes and
                sizes... I found mine at WALMART!

                Gail
                gsouthwick@...

              • riverjourneys
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                  A good pair of welding gloves or something similar I find to be the most important piece of additional gear. A good lid lifter sure helps. Some way to move briquettes like shovel or tongs, etc. I use primarily wood coals so I do it with a shovel, is also critical as well as something to start those briquettes. I try to keep it simple as I do most of my DO cooking out of a canoe, so I don't have a lot of auxiliary equipment.

                  David
                  aka canoebie

                  Dedicated to helping our customers achieve personal growth,
                  team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                  RiverJourneys, Inc.
                  David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                  70529 Martin Road
                  Edwardsburg, MI 49112

                  269-699-5356
                  574-535-3623 cellular

                  http://www.riverjourneys.org

                • riverjourneys

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
                      I don't know of a DOG. But there is a Cow Camp Dutch Oven Cook Off in
                      Winston, GA. This is up near the northwestern corner of GA.

                      I got this off IDOS.com

                      GEORGIA
                      ..Cow Camp Cookin' Contest
                      Douglasville/Douglas County Cultural Arts Council
                      Clinton Nature Preserve, Winston, GA 30187
                      CONTACT: Charlie Holloway; (770) 489-2499 or (770) 949-2787
                      hollowayCAM@...
                      Doc Stovall (770-948-5570); copas@...; PO Box 574,
                      Lithia Springs, GA 30122

                      10/09/2004 Cow Camp Cookin' Contest
                      Dutch Oven Cookoff Winston, Georgia hollowayCAM@...
                    • Gail Southwick

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30, 2004
                          Hey Gail: Many Walmart's do cary them in the camping section, You may
                          have to hit several walmart's though. The one nearest to me has
                          legless ones only Guess it depends where you live and big your Local
                          Wally world is :-) You can also check out The Sports Authority or
                          REI Sporting Goods if you have one of them near you. Good Luck!

                          John Duprey
                          in Massachusetts

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Gail Southwick
                          <gsouthwick@y...> wrote:
                          > Well I certainly have a Walmart nearby! Was it a Lodge with feet?
                          Which dept., camping or housewares? I'll have to give ol' wally
                          world a call.

                          > And to the others that have replied:
                          >
                          > Thank you, I have located a BassPro shop within about 40 minutes of
                          me. I have also found an REI that I will call to see if they carry
                          cast iron- that's much closer. And South Pittsburg is about 2 hours
                          from me, according to mapquest, but I'll save that for after I give
                          this a try for a while. If I start to get the hang of it, I will
                          definitely have to take a day to go there and add pieces to (what is
                          sure to become) a 'gotta have' list.

                          > Thanks again,
                          > Gail
                          >
                          > Felicia <fianaitbarryro@y...> wrote:
                          > And while they don't always have a wide selection of shapes and
                          > sizes... I found mine at WALMART!
                          >

                          > Gail
                          > gsouthwick@y...

                        • kg4fng2004
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
                            HI Gail,
                            Just wanted to say if you were in the market for 2 or 3 dutch
                            ovens South Pittsburg, Lodge outlet may be the place to go. I've
                            bought my last two DO's from there I bought an 8"dutch oven for about
                            20 bucks and a 10" for about 25- 30 dollars. If you go ask for the
                            blemished section. The pots may have a few rough spots on the outside
                            but are still in good condition, If you don't have any trouble
                            seasoning them your self. I even got a pair of leather gloves for
                            about half price because the Lodge printing on the gloves were not
                            perfect. I live just south of Nashville,TN
                            Good luck with your new pots
                            Terry
                            IDOS member--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Gail Southwick