Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] what Lodge puts in their ovens

  • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
      I think we are stretching the facts if we insinuate that foreign DO may be
      using radioactive material. Let's be careful.

    • Kristin
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
        Well of course they must keep their radioactive metals for their
        nuclear weapons programs. (chuckle) Their ovens and such must be
        okay.

        Kristin
        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, DutchOvenDave@a... wrote:
        > I think we are stretching the facts if we insinuate that foreign DO
        may be
        > using radioactive material. Let's be careful.

      • John Duprey
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
          "Heat doesn't "kill" radioactivity, and other bad things."

          Gives a whole new meaning to "Hot Pot" :-)
        • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
            I like the thought of Scouts glowing in the dark. Gives new meaning to
            letting your light so shine.

          • Lynn LeSueur
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
              they won't wear those light up Sneakers that we put our 4 year old in.... So
              I have to do something..
              I like the thought of Scouts glowing in the dark. Gives new meaning to
              letting your light so shine.

              Then click on "Leave Group".

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • garygwilkins
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                Okay, fine, we know that Lodge does a good job. But that doesn't say
                anything about Camp Chef or other out-of-country producers. Their
                factories may have 50 inspections. We assume that the US is the only
                country that does things right. Poor assumption. Here on the eve of
                the 4th of July I sound like a rebel. Far from it but I'm not blind
                either. America has great inventors but China has great copiers. And
                a better work ethic.
                Gary
              • black kettle
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Do I really care if my DO has molecules from a Buick
                  Roadmaster block, its iron ain't it?
                  I have one Camp Chef oven plus the IDOS 5 and see no
                  fault with the roughness or lack of in the casting.
                  I notice however that Lodges season blacker than the
                  CC (it has a brownish tent after 3 high temp bakings
                  and several meals) but the CC cooks good. The lid fit
                  is as good as Lodges I own. But I like the Lodges
                  better for looks and overall fit and finish.
                  I started this thread a few days ago under a
                  completely different subject, I'm glad it turned into
                  what it did, I learned a lot.

                  Jerry Risinger

                  =====
                  IDOS 5", CC 10 3/4, Lodge 10", 2-12", 12D, 14D
                  10-12" skillet, 10" chick fryer, 10-13" indoor DO, 8-10" Wagner griddle

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Walt Cornell
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                    --- black kettle <riparian_b@...> wrote:
                    > Do I really care if my DO has molecules from a Buick
                    > Roadmaster block, its iron ain't it?
                    > I have one Camp Chef oven plus the IDOS 5 and see no
                    > fault with the roughness or lack of in the casting.
                    > I notice however that Lodges season blacker than the
                    > CC (it has a brownish tent after 3 high temp bakings
                    > and several meals) but the CC cooks good. The lid
                    > fit
                    > is as good as Lodges I own. But I like the Lodges
                    > better for looks and overall fit and finish.
                    > I started this thread a few days ago under a
                    > completely different subject, I'm glad it turned
                    > into
                    > what it did, I learned a lot.
                    >
                    > Jerry Risinger

                    I'm sure that everyone that has a "name" oven is safe.
                    My point the other day is when you buy a oven that
                    comes in that funky 3rd word cardboard (you know that
                    yellow stuff that tears real easy), and is marked with
                    only "Dutch Oven" You really are "paying 'ur money and
                    taking 'ur chances"

                    Heavy metals?, just speculation. I know that Lodge has
                    thier own iron formula (and their own foundry), this
                    gives them the fine grain and durability they are
                    famous for. More importantly it gives them control -
                    quality and otherwise. A generic oven from some far
                    away place may be using something between pig iron and
                    slag ...

                    Walt

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                      --- black kettle <riparian_b@...> wrote:
                      >snip
                      l> > > > Make a flower pot out of the $16.00 one.

                      > > > Besides you don't know what other metals are
                      > > alloyed
                      > > > in that cheap cast iron (maybe high levels of
                      > > heavy
                      > > > metals...)
                      > > > My .02,
                      > > > Walt Cornell
                      > > >
                      > > > Walt aren't you the guy who was begging for a
                      > IDOS
                      > 5"er? You must have had a abrupt turn around.
                      >
                      > Jerry

                      No, I don't have any use for a oven that small.

                      Walt

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • jdhart999@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004

                        Heat doesn't "kill" radioactivity, and other bad things.
                        <<

                        If the pot is a bit radioactive, does that mean I should use fewer coals?

                        I'd be more concerned with the fit, finish, and quality of the casting rather than some dangerous metal being in the oven. I would think that unless there is lead or mercury in the metal it should be safe. That said, all of my ovens are Lodge because that's my personal preference and they are readily available locally. I would have *gladly* taken home any of the Maca ovens that have been given away at some of the cookoffs. I cook all the time in the CampChef skillet that I won at the SoCalDog last year. Now that the seasoning is really getting good, it's turning into a really great pan.

                        Ya'all take care,
                        Joanne
                      • M Drgnfly
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 6, 2004
                          I was following this tread with great interest. I
                          couldn't wait to get home Friday and check where my DO
                          was make...China not sure what brand. I made baked
                          sweet pot in it camping and they were the best. I have
                          other cast iron some American, some not.

                          Michelle

                          http://mail.yahoo.com