RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] what Lodge puts in their ovens

  • Lynn LeSueur
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
      But it helps those little Scout's to glow so well in the Dark. :) That's the
      only way to keep track of them in the dark.

      > Heat doesn't "kill" radioactivity, and other bad things.

      Lynn in AZ

    • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
        I think we are stretching the facts if we insinuate that foreign DO may be
        using radioactive material. Let's be careful.

      • Kristin
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
          Well of course they must keep their radioactive metals for their
          nuclear weapons programs. (chuckle) Their ovens and such must be
          okay.

          Kristin
          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, DutchOvenDave@a... wrote:
          > I think we are stretching the facts if we insinuate that foreign DO
          may be
          > using radioactive material. Let's be careful.

        • John Duprey
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
            "Heat doesn't "kill" radioactivity, and other bad things."

            Gives a whole new meaning to "Hot Pot" :-)
          • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
              I like the thought of Scouts glowing in the dark. Gives new meaning to
              letting your light so shine.

            • Lynn LeSueur
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                they won't wear those light up Sneakers that we put our 4 year old in.... So
                I have to do something..
                I like the thought of Scouts glowing in the dark. Gives new meaning to
                letting your light so shine.

                Then click on "Leave Group".

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • garygwilkins
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Okay, fine, we know that Lodge does a good job. But that doesn't say
                  anything about Camp Chef or other out-of-country producers. Their
                  factories may have 50 inspections. We assume that the US is the only
                  country that does things right. Poor assumption. Here on the eve of
                  the 4th of July I sound like a rebel. Far from it but I'm not blind
                  either. America has great inventors but China has great copiers. And
                  a better work ethic.
                  Gary
                • black kettle
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                    Do I really care if my DO has molecules from a Buick
                    Roadmaster block, its iron ain't it?
                    I have one Camp Chef oven plus the IDOS 5 and see no
                    fault with the roughness or lack of in the casting.
                    I notice however that Lodges season blacker than the
                    CC (it has a brownish tent after 3 high temp bakings
                    and several meals) but the CC cooks good. The lid fit
                    is as good as Lodges I own. But I like the Lodges
                    better for looks and overall fit and finish.
                    I started this thread a few days ago under a
                    completely different subject, I'm glad it turned into
                    what it did, I learned a lot.

                    Jerry Risinger

                    =====
                    IDOS 5", CC 10 3/4, Lodge 10", 2-12", 12D, 14D
                    10-12" skillet, 10" chick fryer, 10-13" indoor DO, 8-10" Wagner griddle

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Walt Cornell
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                      --- black kettle <riparian_b@...> wrote:
                      > Do I really care if my DO has molecules from a Buick
                      > Roadmaster block, its iron ain't it?
                      > I have one Camp Chef oven plus the IDOS 5 and see no
                      > fault with the roughness or lack of in the casting.
                      > I notice however that Lodges season blacker than the
                      > CC (it has a brownish tent after 3 high temp bakings
                      > and several meals) but the CC cooks good. The lid
                      > fit
                      > is as good as Lodges I own. But I like the Lodges
                      > better for looks and overall fit and finish.
                      > I started this thread a few days ago under a
                      > completely different subject, I'm glad it turned
                      > into
                      > what it did, I learned a lot.
                      >
                      > Jerry Risinger

                      I'm sure that everyone that has a "name" oven is safe.
                      My point the other day is when you buy a oven that
                      comes in that funky 3rd word cardboard (you know that
                      yellow stuff that tears real easy), and is marked with
                      only "Dutch Oven" You really are "paying 'ur money and
                      taking 'ur chances"

                      Heavy metals?, just speculation. I know that Lodge has
                      thier own iron formula (and their own foundry), this
                      gives them the fine grain and durability they are
                      famous for. More importantly it gives them control -
                      quality and otherwise. A generic oven from some far
                      away place may be using something between pig iron and
                      slag ...

                      Walt

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004
                        --- black kettle <riparian_b@...> wrote:
                        >snip
                        l> > > > Make a flower pot out of the $16.00 one.

                        > > > Besides you don't know what other metals are
                        > > alloyed
                        > > > in that cheap cast iron (maybe high levels of
                        > > heavy
                        > > > metals...)
                        > > > My .02,
                        > > > Walt Cornell
                        > > >
                        > > > Walt aren't you the guy who was begging for a
                        > IDOS
                        > 5"er? You must have had a abrupt turn around.
                        >
                        > Jerry

                        No, I don't have any use for a oven that small.

                        Walt

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • jdhart999@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 2, 2004

                          Heat doesn't "kill" radioactivity, and other bad things.
                          <<

                          If the pot is a bit radioactive, does that mean I should use fewer coals?

                          I'd be more concerned with the fit, finish, and quality of the casting rather than some dangerous metal being in the oven. I would think that unless there is lead or mercury in the metal it should be safe. That said, all of my ovens are Lodge because that's my personal preference and they are readily available locally. I would have *gladly* taken home any of the Maca ovens that have been given away at some of the cookoffs. I cook all the time in the CampChef skillet that I won at the SoCalDog last year. Now that the seasoning is really getting good, it's turning into a really great pan.

                          Ya'all take care,
                          Joanne
                        • M Drgnfly
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 6, 2004
                            I was following this tread with great interest. I
                            couldn't wait to get home Friday and check where my DO
                            was make...China not sure what brand. I made baked
                            sweet pot in it camping and they were the best. I have
                            other cast iron some American, some not.

                            Michelle

                            http://mail.yahoo.com