RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: fire starters

  • Rochelle Anderson
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
      I still don't have an ash can, but I did have an empty vegtable can (15 oz).
      I filled it with cool water about 2/3's and then carefully picked up each
      little coal (they were pretty small when I did this) and put them in the
      can. Sizzle! Oh - and the can was setting on my DO table, as I knew it would
      heat up. With all the coals cooled that way, and the ash cooling on its
      own, I was able to go out about 30 minutes later and dump the cooled ash.

      Ro
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
        Girl Scouts also train to not use newspaper in the chimneys and have us make
        homemade firestarters from wood chips and wax in egg cartons. I've never
        had good luck with these in the chimneys because they are too localized.
        (Though I suppose I could just use 2 or 3.) Has anyone had better luck
        with these? I wonder if I could get away with the wax paper? At a minimum,
        I like the idea for personal use.

        ~Loriann

      • ginny sutter
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
          my GS council does not have the no paper rule in the chimineys. Did they say Y? Suppose it's because it might blow around?
          nan

          Loriann Baggett <l.baggett@...> wrote:
          Girl Scouts also train to not use newspaper in the chimneys and have us make
          homemade firestarters from wood chips and wax in egg cartons. I've never
          had good luck with these in the chimneys because they are too localized.
          (Though I suppose I could just use 2 or 3.) Has anyone had better luck
          with these? I wonder if I could get away with the wax paper? At a minimum,
          I like the idea for personal use.

          ~Loriann

          Then click on "Leave Group".

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • ginny sutter
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
            This would be concidered dangerous for us in GS-ing. The paper egg carton w/ wax & wood shavings or lint would be much safer, as earlier stated. Starter is too.
            nan

            Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:
            With the dry conditions we currently have in the west,
            this is a very valid point. I do not like the ash
            created with these chimneys when using newspaper, etc.
            I usually add a few coals in the bottom, sprinkle with
            lighter fluid, then add the rest of the charcoal
            needed, dousing with lighter fluid also, then ignite
            the coals from the bottom with match/lighter stick.
            The other way I use these chimneys is to fill the can
            and place it over a burner of my 3-burner camp chef
            stove and turn the flame on high--it gets them going
            in no time at all. Another way would be to use a
            hand-held propane torch to light the few in the
            bottom, then add more charcoal on top of the burning
            one to work up thru the can.

            --- Rochelle Anderson <rochelle@...>
            wrote:
            > I tried this twice this weekend. The waxed paper
            > worked great! I also mixed
            > mine with crumpled newspaper, but the newspaper
            > escaped the chimney and flew
            > around in my driveway. Not too safe! So, I've just
            > added a box of waxed
            > paper to my supply box.
            >
            > Ro

          • lcollins
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
              I use the paper type egg cartons filled with sawdust and wax and it
              works great with just one in my homemade chimney starter. If I'm in a
              real hurry Though I have used 2 of them.

              Oneoldwoodsman

              Loriann Baggett wrote the following in RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: fire starters:
              > Girl Scouts also train to not use newspaper in the chimneys and have us make
              > homemade firestarters from wood chips and wax in egg cartons. I've never
              > had good luck with these in the chimneys because they are too localized.
              > (Though I suppose I could just use 2 or 3.) Has anyone had better luck
              > with these? I wonder if I could get away with the wax paper? At a minimum,
              > I like the idea for personal use.
              >
              > ~Loriann

            • Loriann Baggett
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2004
                Yep. Too many pieces blowing around, as someone here described. I'll have
                to try more of the firestarters next time.

                ~Loriann

                _____

                my GS council does not have the no paper rule in the chimineys. Did they say
                Y? Suppose it's because it might blow around?
                nan

              • Doug
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 22, 2010
                  Hit the jackpot at lunch , while killing time I made a run though one of my friendly junk stores and found a box that had 20, 4"by 15" candles in it for a whopping $9. weighed it went I got back to the office and it had 31 pounds of wax in it. I have enough wax to make a lifetime of starters now.
                  doug
                • Jerry Morris
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 22, 2010
                    What fire starters, is this something we can make and use too? I am up for anything that is easy and cheap.

                    JnJ

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 22, 2010
                      I must have at least 20 different types of fire-starters that I use to teach my scouts.
                      Everything from pine cones dipped in wax to a mix of sawdust and wax in wax paper cups.
                      The best one that I use in rainy weather is the birthday candle you can't blow out set in a
                      mix of waxed cardboard and sawdust or wood shavings. I also have a mix of old road flairs
                      and a candle with some magnesium shavings. This seems to start wet wood real fast.

                      For starting charcoal in the chimney I use a quarter sheet of newspaper crumpled and dipped in wax
                      along with a sheet or two of newspaper. Starts fast lasts longer and will even start damp charcoal.
                      It took me two tries this way to start WET charcoal. (Scouts left the bag open and it pored overnight,
                      this was the first time I ever tried to start dripping wet charcoal.)

                      Ken
                      The Other Ken

                      What fire starters, is this something we can make and use too? I am up for anything that is easy and cheap.

                      JnJ

                      ________________________________
                      Hit the jackpot at lunch , while killing time I made a run though one of my friendly junk stores and found a box that had 20, 4"by 15" candles in it for a whopping $9. weighed it went I got back to the office and it had 31 pounds of wax in it. I have enough wax to make a lifetime of starters now.
                      doug

                      =

                    • Bob Prager
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 22, 2010
                        A paper towel dipped in vaseline works really well...

                        On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM, <BSAT80ASM@...> wrote:
                        > I must have at least 20 different types of fire-starters that I use to teach my scouts.
                        > Everything from pine cones dipped in wax to a mix of sawdust and wax in wax paper cups.
                        > The best one that I use in rainy weather is the birthday candle you can't blow out set in a
                        > mix of waxed cardboard and sawdust or wood shavings. I also have a mix of old road flairs
                        > and a candle with some magnesium shavings. This seems to start wet wood real fast.
                        >
                        > For starting charcoal in the chimney I use a quarter sheet of newspaper crumpled and dipped in wax
                        > along with a sheet or two of newspaper. Starts fast lasts longer and will even start damp charcoal.
                        > It took me two tries this way to start WET charcoal. (Scouts left the bag open and it pored overnight,
                        > this was the first time I ever tried to start dripping wet charcoal.)
                        >
                        > Ken
                        > The Other Ken

                      • Wally Dennis
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 22, 2010
                          I use TP card board center or paper towel rolls stuffed with pet bedding (wood Chips) soaked in candle wax or parrafin, sometime us the card board egg cartons.  Cut the rolls in 1/2 " sections workes great.  Tuna cans with rolled cardboard and filled with wax.

                          ________________________________
                          A paper towel dipped in vaseline works really well...

                          On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM, <BSAT80ASM@...> wrote:
                          > I must have at least 20 different types of fire-starters that I use to teach my scouts.
                          > Everything from pine cones dipped in wax to a mix of sawdust and wax in wax paper cups.
                          > The best one that I use in rainy weather is the birthday candle you can't blow out set in a
                          > mix of waxed cardboard and sawdust or wood shavings. I also have a mix of old road flairs
                          > and a candle with some magnesium shavings. This seems to start wet wood real fast.
                          >
                          > For starting charcoal in the chimney I use a quarter sheet of newspaper crumpled and dipped in wax
                          > along with a sheet or two of newspaper. Starts fast lasts longer and will even start damp charcoal.
                          > It took me two tries this way to start WET charcoal. (Scouts left the bag open and it pored overnight,
                          > this was the first time I ever tried to start dripping wet charcoal.)
                          >
                          > Ken
                          > The Other Ken

                        • tsims22
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 23, 2010
                            Have a sale at The NDOG.

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <the_redneck_gourmet@...> wrote:

                            > Hit the jackpot at lunch , while killing time I made a run though one of my friendly junk stores and found a box that had 20, 4"by 15" candles in it for a whopping $9. weighed it went I got back to the office and it had 31 pounds of wax in it. I have enough wax to make a lifetime of starters now.
                            > doug

                          • Joseph Vossen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 23, 2010
                              I use dryer lint when making my fire starters.

                              On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Wally Dennis wrote:

                              > I use TP card board center or paper towel rolls stuffed with pet bedding (wood Chips) soaked in candle wax or parrafin, sometime us the card board egg cartons. Cut the rolls in 1/2 " sections workes great. Tuna cans with rolled cardboard and filled with wax.
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                              [snip]
                            • brad_g8
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 23, 2010
                                I take the egg carton or a small bathroom paper cup, stuff with the remains of bills from my shredder and pour a little wax in. The shredded bills start nicely and it gives me a good feeling to see those bills go up in smoke.

                                Now, if I could just get those pesky bills to stop coming in the first place. . . . .
                              • Wally Dennis
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 23, 2010
                                  I like your idea.

                                  ________________________________

                                • miska4693@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 23, 2010
                                    Me too

                                    From: Wally Dennis <wally.dennis@...>
                                    Sender: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:47:45
                                    To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>

                                    I like your idea.

                                    ________________________________
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 26, 2010
                                      I've always used either pine straw or pine cones which are always plentiful here in the southeast. Work great and cones will provide a lot of heat to start if camping in cold wet weather.
                                      Some of the easy light charcoal that I have tried was less than great. Some couldn't be lit without a propane torch!!!!
                                      The chimney lighter was a great invention. I won one years ago and it really worked great.
                                      Jerry
                                    • eagle9252
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 27, 2010
                                        most of the time we fill the chimney up and place on the stove eye or turkey
                                        cooker. we have forgotten the chimney before ;( #10 can will work. you
                                        use a can opener the kind that opens in the triangle for pouring. put
                                        several holes in the bottom for venting and you have a nice turbo starter.
                                        sound really cool.

                                        we have used a piece of 6" duct work. place rucks under to keep the coals
                                        from falling out and when done just lift. you can also build the triangle
                                        and lighter fluid and place a soup can opened on both ends on top and it
                                        will draw air through the stacks of coals. you should really try it on time
                                        just so the boys can see and hear it. it has a real good cool factor but is
                                        a pain.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 27, 2010
                                          I very frequently use two coals with a table spoon of starter fluid on each
                                          of them.

                                          Never missed a lick yet.

                                          Randy Bear