charcoal comparison

  • Brenda Wildish
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30 6:11 AM
      HI all~

      I was on IDOS forum this morning and read this post about charcoal
      comparison. They took five of the top charcoals and did extensive
      test regarding burn time, ash production, etc. I found it very
      interesting and thought I would share it.

      I am attaching the link.

      Happy Memorial Weekend~

      Brenda Wildish
      Director
      Southern California Chapter, IDOS

      http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm
    • risinger jerry
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30 6:49 AM
        Brenda, great post, thanks. I also saw the thread on
        IDOS but failed to pay attention till your post.
        I think it shows that Kingsford is overrated and
        overpriced (I never heard of any of the other brands
        tested). Thats why I usually buy what ever is on sale,
        usually a house brand or what ever. The last I bought
        in bulk was Ace hardware brand I think it was $2.99
        for a 20# bag. Have grilled with it several times with
        good results.

        Jerry

        --- Brenda Wildish <DutchOvenGal@...> wrote:
        > HI all~
        >
        > I was on IDOS forum this morning and read this post
        > about charcoal
        > comparison. They took five of the top charcoals and
        > did extensive
        > test regarding burn time, ash production, etc. I
        > found it very
        > interesting and thought I would share it.
        >
        > I am attaching the link.
        >
        > Happy Memorial Weekend~
        >
        > Brenda Wildish
        > Director
        > Southern California Chapter, IDOS

        http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Brenda Wildish
        Message 3 of 11 , May 30 6:58 AM
          Jerry~

          You are welcome and thanks for the headsup regarding bulk ACE
          charcoal. I will give it a try.

          I agree about kingsford. There are all kinds of other alternatives
          out there. We just need to share the information. Thanks for
          sharing yours.

          Brenda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, risinger jerry
          <riparian_b@y...> wrote:
          > Brenda, great post, thanks. I also saw the thread on
          > IDOS but failed to pay attention till your post.
          > I think it shows that Kingsford is overrated and
          > overpriced (I never heard of any of the other brands
          > tested). Thats why I usually buy what ever is on sale,
          > usually a house brand or what ever. The last I bought
          > in bulk was Ace hardware brand I think it was $2.99
          > for a 20# bag. Have grilled with it several times with
          > good results.
          >
          > Jerry
          >

          > --- Brenda Wildish <DutchOvenGal@a...> wrote:
          > > HI all~
          > >
          > > I was on IDOS forum this morning and read this post
          > > about charcoal
          > > comparison. They took five of the top charcoals and
          > > did extensive
          > > test regarding burn time, ash production, etc. I
          > > found it very
          > > interesting and thought I would share it.
          > >
          > > I am attaching the link.
          > >
          > > Happy Memorial Weekend~
          > >
          > > Brenda Wildish
          > > Director
          > > Southern California Chapter, IDOS
          > >

          > http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm

          > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Brian Nielson
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30 8:55 AM
            Jerry,

            Be careful on the conclusions you make based on the test Brenda posted.
            That test was comparing lump charcoal, and threw in Kingsford for
            comparison. Lump charcoal is great for grilling, etc, but not sized well
            for DO. It would be great for 'open fire' cooking with charcoal.

            We ought to see if we can get those guys to do the same test on several
            brands of formed briquettes.

            I guess what I am saying is that their test showed Kingsford out of
            curiosity, but when you compare it to the lump charcoal it is apples and
            oranges, and not a fair test.

            Brian

            Brenda, great post, thanks. I also saw the thread on
            IDOS but failed to pay attention till your post.
            I think it shows that Kingsford is overrated and
            overpriced (I never heard of any of the other brands
            tested). Thats why I usually buy what ever is on sale,
            usually a house brand or what ever. The last I bought
            in bulk was Ace hardware brand I think it was $2.99
            for a 20# bag. Have grilled with it several times with
            good results.

            Jerry

            --- Brenda Wildish <DutchOvenGal@...> wrote:
            > HI all~
            >
            > I was on IDOS forum this morning and read this post
            > about charcoal
            > comparison. They took five of the top charcoals and
            > did extensive
            > test regarding burn time, ash production, etc. I
            > found it very
            > interesting and thought I would share it.
            >
            > I am attaching the link.
            >
            > Happy Memorial Weekend~
            >
            > Brenda Wildish
            > Director
            > Southern California Chapter, IDOS

            http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm

            Then click on "Leave Group".
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Kathy Jacobs
            Message 5 of 11 , May 30 9:38 AM
              I found their results very interesting for grilling, but not really
              applicable to DO cooking. For one thing, I don't use that large of an amount
              of charcoal when I DO. I use what is needed and what I can control.

              The real reason for this post: Please be careful using lump charcoal. If you
              use Komodo, don't invite me to the cook out/ DOG. It is made from coconut
              shells and would send me to the hospital due to my allergies. Same kind of
              thing goes for the chunk charcoal made from walnut woods: Don't invite us if
              you use a lump charcoal made from it, Bruce is allergic. Now, that may
              sound extreme, but there are more people with these allergies than you would
              guess.

              Just my two cents. Since I am in the midst of a really nasty allergy attack,
              this may have come across more vehement than I meant, so take or leave as
              you desire.

              Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft MVP PowerPoint and OneNote
              Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
              Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com
              Get OneNote answers at http://www.onenoteanswers.com

              I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
              if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

              _____

              Message 6 of 11 , May 30 10:40 PM
                that was interesting. i had no idea "fluffy" was a science word. i am one of
                the masses that use kingsford .thanks

                I was on IDOS forum this morning and read this post about charcoal
                comparison. They took five of the top charcoals and did extensive
                test regarding burn time, ash production, etc. I found it very
                interesting and thought I would share it.

                I am attaching the link.

                Happy Memorial Weekend~

                Brenda Wildish
                Director
                Southern California Chapter, IDOS

                http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/gvhylB/TM

              • Andrea
                Message 7 of 11 , May 31 10:45 AM
                  Kathy,

                  I was just about to ask where to get some of this extruded coconut
                  charcoal, when I read your post. Good point!

                  I have a couple of questions:

                  Would you be allergic to coconut smoke only when it permeated the
                  food and became sort of an "ingredient", or would you even be
                  allergic to the smoke as an inhalant? I ask because I too am
                  (mildly) allergic to nuts and coconut as an ingredient, but have no
                  reaction that I know of to inhaling the smoke. But as I say, my
                  allergies are mild. For those with more severe allergies, might
                  getting a whiff of the next-door neighbor's coconut-fueled grill be
                  enough to produce a reaction?

                  Yikes! Scary thought.

                  -Andrea
                • Kathy Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31 12:59 PM
                    For me, it would be very bad even to breathe the smoke. My coconut allergy
                    is bad enough that I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. For my husband,
                    the walnut allergy is not nearly so bad: It only affects him if the food is
                    smoked with Walnut (or pecan) wood.

                    I am in the extreme end of the coconut allergy. Breathing it, having it
                    touch my skin, or ingesting it can trigger a reaction. As you know, most
                    people aren't nearly as sensitive to it. The bad part of a coconut allergy
                    is that like all nut allergies it gets worse as exposure increases. As you
                    probably already know, it is used in many foods as a filler in many forms
                    making the chance of exposure even greater.

                    I don't mean to harp on this. As someone with the allergy, it is my job to
                    control what I come in contact with, not your job to avoid all versions of
                    it. On the other hand, it is something people should be aware of.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31 2:08 PM
                      Be sure to post on what you found today?

                      How did your test come out?

                      Biscuit
                    • rk84403
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 31 9:08 PM
                        It wasn't all that great of a test. I compared 2 different lumps
                        and Kingsford and Sam's choice briquettes. I did equal amounts by
                        weight and lit each in the same manner on a piece of foil. I
                        monitored the heat and length of burn. The Kingsford lit the
                        fastest and put out more heat. It also turned to ash more quickly.
                        This was OLD Kingsford, not the new shiny stuff we are getting in
                        Utah. I need to do some more comparisons before I am ready to
                        switch, but now that I have a bag of Sam's choice, I am going to use
                        it and see how it does.
                      • Ronda
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 31 9:20 PM
                          I've heard a lotta folks put down the Sam's Choice, but we have had
                          really good luck with it. It's kinda like people saying Levis are
                          better than Wranglers - it's a matter of choice. And it's a matter
                          of which batch you get. If I get a bad batch of charcoal (which I
                          have) - I take it back to WalMart and get my money back! But at this
                          time, kingsford is still just as cheap as Sams Choice around here.
                          We buy whichever is cheapest. Ronda
                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, rk84403 <no_reply@y...>