Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: Dutch Oven boxes

  • markcase@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Well, remember a few weeks ago that I said I am frugal, not cheap, those same
      construction sites, I stop and get 2x4 and 2x6 lumber that was used to strap
      modular homes together in transport. They are full of staples. I pick them
      up along with the 1/4 to 1/2 sheets of plywood. I built a "bay" in my garage
      out of scrap wood. Shelves are 2 feet wide and 30 inches tall. It allows me
      to stack all my cast iron on the shelves. My BIG pots are stored on the
      bottom under the shelves.

      As far as transporting, I have a trailer that I put my DO and other
      equipment. It has a wood floor. DO on the bottom and other equipment in those Wenzel
      boxes.

      Remember about me being frugal not cheap? Well......... I just bought a pop
      up trailer that the top and insides were completely shot. (Paid $50 for it).
      I stripped it down to the frame and am building a low riding trailer that
      will have a cook table and ability to haul my CI on it. I couldn't get by on the
      free lumber, had to use pressure treated this time. So, for the rustic look,
      I bought lumber yard rejects. Still structurally sound, but the look is not
      for those $150,000 homes. Paid $50 for an entire pickup load. it will go
      along with the look of old time with the CI.

      I guess if the name "Frugal Gormet" was not already taken by Art Ginsburg, I
      would adopt that one as my nickname!

      Mark Case
      Randleman, NC
      In a message dated 5/1/2004 12:10:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rlb_51@... writes:
      So Mark - how do you store your DO's? Ours are stored outside in the
      shop, which is why we did the boxes. Course we don't have 50 pieces
      stored out there either! Is there a better way? The bags look nice
      but seem so expensive. The boxes do haul well in the back of the
      pickup.

    • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        As does Mark, I now own over 50 DOs. 66 to be exact. I am even crazier
        because I like to take most of them with me when I do training. I started
        building 3/4 inch plywood boxes to make it easier to stack when transporting them to
        the training sites but soon realized that it was costing me more to build a
        box than to buy a DO. I couldn't have that so I started looking for a trailer
        and found a 7' x 14' enclosed Wells Cargo trailer and won the bid last week.
        Yesterday I went to the lumber yard and bought the lumber to build shelves down
        both sides and should have enough room for all of my DOs. Now I will have a
        place to store my DO stuff and I have also cut my loading and unloading time
        in half. The cost justification on this venture is that it was costing $50.00
        a box with the hardware and if you multiply that by 66, plus future
        acquisitions, it is more than the cost of the trailer. Plus time is worth something so,
        if I can save a minimum of two hours of loading and unloading and do 10
        training sessions per summer, in a few years I have started saving money. After a
        while the return on investment is complete.
        The difference between Castironitis and a Quadruple Bypass? A Quadruple
        Bypass is treatable, Castironitis isn't. At least, I haven't found a cure as yet.
        The only thing that seems to help is to buy another DO.
        On the matter of wooden boxes. When I traveled from NY to Salt Lake a year
        ago for the spring convention I wanted to take one of my DOs with me to cook at
        the DOG. It was a hard decision to make, taking only one and leaving all the
        rest at home. The security folks at the airport had never heard of someone
        checking as luggage a wooden box with a 12" DO in it. Caused quite a scene and
        everyone there was into the act before I got it checked in.
        This is a feeble attempt to justify and explain my way of handling the
        disease of Castironitis. It isn't going to go away and since there is no known
        cure, (heaven forbid that one ever be found), I am only trying to cope with it.
        And you know what? I am having FUN!

        As one Castironitis afflicted person to another, "keep those DOs hot and full
        of good food".

        Dave

      • riverjourneys
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2004
          Whew Dave!!!! Maybe we should start a 12 step group for ya huh!! It is kinda scary realizing the potential of this thing to reach out and grab me. I don't know if my marriage could survive fifty of those black pots. ;)

          David

          aka canoebie

          Dedicated to helping our customers achieve personal growth,
          team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

          RiverJourneys, Inc.
          David and Cara Lawson-Ball
          70529 Martin Road
          Edwardsburg, MI 49112

[...]