Cast Iron Tea Kettle

  • lotsuvhair
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 8:46 AM
      I have had for many years and had forgotten, a cast iron tea kettle.
      It is VERY heavy, and very rusty inside. The outside looks good,
      although very dusty/dirty and with a few green paint flecks on it. I
      intent to clean it up, but prob won't be able to use it, even for
      boiling water. It has a bail handle and no markings. Anyone have
      any ideas?

      Diana
    • Tom Merlihan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        Hi Diana,

        I also have one of those big heavy tea kettle also. Mine sounds like they might be the
        same make. I have no idea what make it is. I purchased it many years ago in a little
        country hardware store. I used mine many years when I did dry camping. I would
        hang the kettle over the fire and boil water for doing dishes, laundry, or anything else
        that one would need hot water for. I remember at night camping sitting at the
        campfire talking and watching that old tea kettle boil away. If the fire was high
        enough, that old pot would get a rolling boil. (great memories) You could not use the
        water for cooking or tea or coffee or food. The water had the an awful taste. The
        longer you boiled the water, the worse it tasted. I sometime took it camping and
        hung it over the fire for a conversation piece. Mine is all smoked up on the outside
        and thick rust on the inside also from all the pine and junk wood that I could
        scrounge up. Maybe some day I will clean the out side and just display it again.
        Hope this answers so of your questions.

        Tom Merlihan

        IDOS & Western New York Dutch Oven Society
        Keep Your Coals Hot and Dutch Oven's Simmering.

        > I intent to clean it up, but prob won't be able to use it, even for
        > boiling water. It has a bail handle and no markings. Anyone have
        > any ideas?
        >
        > Diana
      • Frogdown
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
          I have a cast iron tea kettle. It is rusted inside and out. I have 2 questions. 1) Do I even want it? and 2) What would you do with it?

          Also, got a Lodge wok for Christmas and it is lovely. Anyone have any good recipes. (Outdoors)
          Bruce
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
            Personally, I would clean it up best I can with electrolysis and season THE
            HECK OUT OF IT! Then I would fill it about half with water and place it on
            my space heater in the bathroom. It adds moisture to the room. When you add
            water be sure to use a pot holder. I have made that mistake before too!

            They make great conversation pieces too!

            Randy Bear

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
              I also bought a cast iron tea kettle that looked the worse for wear. Kind folks on this site educated me. Apparently these were used to add humidity to the air in the dry winter months. You parked it on the wood burning stove. I like mine. Conversation piece.

              Mike
            • crosscountrydutchovens
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
                Bruce,
                My daughter & I use our wok, both indoors(we have a gas range) and outdoors. She found this recipe for Orange Chicken a couple nights ago. Excellent in the wok. We left out the hot spices, but still great recipe.
                http://www.food.com/recipe/panda-express-orange-chicken-103215

                We also make lots of stir fry in our wok. No recipe, since we make it up as we go along-seriously that's how we cook! Lately, we have tried to keep healthier veggies in the frig. Then use whatever we have, we usually heat a small amount of olive or vegetable oil in the wok(sometimes we even use water to cut calories) throw in some sliced or dice chicken(or meat of choice), cook til almost done, then add whatever veggies look good (bell pepper, mushrooms, squash, & always onions, etc.) can also use canned stir fry veggies-if in a hurry. If using water, just make sure to add/keep a little water in the bottom of the wok if needed so everything stays moist and doesn't burn. I sometimes mix in liquid smoke and use the stir fry for fajitas.
                I held off buying the wok a long time, but it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of cast iron I own(& for those that know me -I have more than I care to admit.) Even though I love & teach the DO's many weekends, in my free time-I have more fun with the wok and my Ultimate DO's than any other pieces in my "collection". Enjoy your wok! Let us know what you try.
                Lorri Lyn
                Cross Country Dutch Ovens - Broken Arrow,OK