Re: China made Dutch Ovens

  • pumpdr1
    Message 1 of 3003 , Aug 31, 2001
      I am studying some of the brands of cast iron
      cooking wear on the market. I am just getting into this
      DO cooking as an interest related to traveling on
      weekends to State parks and enjoying cooking outdoors. As
      to the cast iron, my concern is the byproducts that
      might be present in some of the imported products. I am
      in the water well business and have to deal with
      cast iron in many ways related to quality, stress, and
      wear. Some of the pump products are now being cast in
      China, India,etc. They mention the extra thickness as a
      selling point. It is being found that the thickness is
      added to make up for strength of the material because
      it is not as fine grained as our USA foundry
      products. The pump parts are cheaper but the quality is not
      proving to be the same. The lack of controls as to the
      waste by-products left in the molten metal is my
      concern. I have not sold any China cast parts for 4 years
      now because of my concerns. China and many other
      countrys use scrap materials as their source of raw
      materials. The USA companies are regulated by many agencies
      to control their process. My son works in
      engineering for a foundry and has confimed my thoughts on all
      of this. This is not to scare you, but to raise a
      viewpoint I have to deal with everyday to provide safe
      water. I want safe camp food also for all of us. So far
      I have liked what I have read about the Lodge brand
      and methods of maufacture, but I am going to contact
      them to confirm thier control process. I have a nerve
      disorder now from an unknown source, so you can understand
      my concerns. I am very excited to learn more on this
      old cooking method because my rancher/farmer
      forefathers used it all the time. I want to do it safely so I
      will enjoy the results without question.<br><br>Best
      regards,<br>Pumpdr<br>A Native Texan
    • mississippi_biscuit
      Message 3003 of 3003 , Feb 7, 2011