RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Digest Number 941

  • dreno
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hey, some great ideas. I'd like to use them in my next news letter with
      your permission. I'd like to know more about the plastic saw horses and
      where you get them. Thanks

      Dennis

      Dutch Oven Magic
      www.dutchovenmagic.com

      "How to cook Anyting in a Dutch oven"
      Free "how-to" articles, recipes and advice

      help@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        The plastic sawhorses can be found at most hardware stores and building supply stores like Home Depot, Menard's, etc They are lighter weight and fold flatter than any wood or metal sawhorses and the shelf that holds the sawhorse open is great. All I have to put across the 2 horse is a couple 1 by 4"s, 8 feet long. That is plenty to hold the cooler, drawer unit, and piece of counter scrap.
        My next project is to create a rack/cross bar to attach to this set up, from which I can hang a few things like the lifter, big spoons, towels, mitts, coffee pot...... I'm eyeing up a couple extra grooming arms I have for my dog grooming tables. They have wonderful cast iron clamps that could attach them to the planks and they are made of sturdy square metal tubing. Now with something bolted across them as a crossbar with hooks.... The bent ends of the arms that normally have a "noose" cipped on to hold the dog still could easily have a lantern clipped on instead. Hmmm, when I get this worked out, I'll send a pic to the photo section. :-)
        Iron Chef
        aka Wendy W

        Thanks for the names of the cookbooks. I'm not opposed to buying
        cookbooks but how do you know which ones to get? <g> Now that I have a
        suggestions from a seasoned cooker I will consider buying it.

        Now tell me what all you have in your box. We have our gear scattered
        all over the place right now and are not sure how to store any of it.
        I'm going to try to get a good bit of it in our pop-up.

        Thanks again, Tom for your suggestion.

        Patricia Peoples
        KCMO

        >> Getting Started (Good Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies)

        Hi Patricia,

        I just purchased a new Cast iron book called "Cast Iron For Dummies by

        Tracy Barr) It is
        loaded with all kind of goodies. It is easy to read and understand. It

        is a good book for
        people just getting started or folks that have been using cast-iron
        for some time. I
        have been using over 40 years and just got this book a few days ago
        and
        it will be put
        in my dutch box when I go camping. I got it at Amazon.com for I
        $13.99.
        If you spend
        about $11.00 more you will have free shipping to boot. There is also a

        lot of Cast-Inon
        recipes also in the book.

        Hope this will help

        Tom Merlihan
        IDOS & Western New York Dutch Oven Society
        Keep Your Coals Hot and Dutch Oven's Simmering.<<

        Then click on "Leave Group".

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        Then click on "Leave Group".