Re: Getting Started

  • Patricia Peoples
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi Mark,

      Thanks for the welcome. How long have you been cooking with DO's? Frank and I are going to a cooking school in June in Perryville MO. I'm really excited about going. I'm sure that we will learn lots there.

      Patricia * Frank Peoples
      KCMO

      From: Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...>
      Subject: Re: Re:Getting Started

      Welcome Patricia & husband. Let us know if there's
      anything you need to make your cooking adventures
      successfull.

      Mark Wilkins >>

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2004
        Tired of the same old meats, seafood and vegetables?
        Try sassing them up with some sauce! These sauces are
        easy to prepare and will add just the right zing to
        liven up your dinner table!

        Bearnaise Sauce**

        2 tablespoons chopped green onions
        1 teaspoon tarragon
        3 tablespoons vinegar
        1- 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, cubed
        1/3 cup milk
        1 tablespoon lime juice
        1 tablespoon chopped chives

        Boil onions & tarragon in vinegar until vinegar
        is evaporated. Add remaining ingredients. Cook
        over low heat until sauce is smooth, stirring
        constantly.

        ** Serve over beef, fish, or eggs.

        ~*~

        Sweet and Sour Sauce

        4 teaspoons cornstarch
        1 cup water
        1/2 cup sugar
        1/2 cup white vinegar
        1/4 cup tomato paste

        Combine all ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to
        a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1
        minute, stirring constantly. Cool.

        Makes about 1-1/2 cups (4 servings).

        ~*~

        Delmonico Sauce For Vegetables

        1/2 cup milk
        1- 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, cubed
        1/4 cup (2 oz.) Kraft Cold Pack Blue Cheese, crumbled
        dash of onion salt

        Heat milk & cream cheese in saucepan over low heat,
        stirring until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients.
        Serve over hot vegetables. Top with additional
        blue cheese, if desired.

        Makes enough for 3 to 4 servings.

        ~*~

        Dilly Cheese Sauce For Vegetables

        1/2 lb. Velveeta, cubed
        1/2 cup salad dressing
        1/4 cup milk
        1/4 tsp. dill weed

        Heat Velveeta, salad dressing, & milk over low
        heat until sauce is smooth, stirring constantly.
        Add dill.

        Makes 1 1/2 cups.

        ~*~

        Hot Horseradish Sauce**

        1- 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, cubed
        1/3 cup milk
        2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        dash of cayenne

        Heat cream cheese & milk in saucepan over low heat,
        stirring until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients.

        ** Serve over ham, beef, or hot cooked vegetables.

        Makes 1 1/3 cups.

        ~*~

        Parisian Wine Sauce**

        1- 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese
        1/3 cup milk
        2 tablespoons dry white wine
        1 tablespoon chopped green onions
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        dash of cayenne

        Heat cream cheese & milk in saucepan over low heat,
        stirring until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients.

        Makes 1 1/3 cups.

        ** Serve over fish, chicken, or pork.

        ~*~

        Seafood Sauce

        2 tablespoons butter
        2 tablespoons flour
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        1/8 teaspoon pepper
        1 cup milk

        Melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan.
        Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat,
        stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove
        from heat. Stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring
        constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and
        carefully stir 1/2 to 1 cup cooked shrimp. lobster,
        crab meat, salmon, or tuna pieces into the sauce.

        Enjoy!

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 17, 2004
          Well, as a boy scout in the last 60�s-early 70�s I got
          my exposure to Dutch oven cooking somewhat, but when I
          got out of high school, that�s kinda where it lay
          dormant for a while. In 1988 when I started driving
          semi-truck over the road, I learned quickly that
          Truck-Stop food ain't cheap and for the most part
          ain't that good either. Kinda lived by the motto that
          if ya wanted good food, you had to find the hidden
          places that did not have a paved parking lot. Seemed
          to be true most times. But sometimes these places were
          kind hard to come by, so I began developing my skills
          as a "Manifold Cook" by cooking on the engine while
          driving. I started by just heating cans of Ranch Style
          beans, Spaghetti O's, etc., then advanced to burritos
          and foil wrapped concoctions; then decided to try a
          freshly caught trout from a stream near a truck rest
          area (Kept my
          fishing pole in the truck for just in case times). I
          wrapped it in foil with some vinaigrette dressing and
          other seasonings, placed it on the manifold by the
          turbo, and went down the road for a little while to
          the next rest area and there enjoyed my new found
          treat. From there I graduated to doing
          potatoes/onions/green peppers in foil along with
          cornish game hens. A frozen one in Lewiston Idaho
          would be done by the time I reached Salt Lake city. It
          was then that I decided hey, I could do some pretty
          good desserts in a Dutch oven so I started carrying a
          12 inch in my truck to use at rest areas or other
          spots when I got layed-over between loads, or was
          early for a delivery. It was amazing how many other
          drivers would see me fiddling under the hood, or
          firing up some charcoal, & then sitting in a lawn
          chair in a parking lot enjoying a plate of hot food,
          and wander over to inquire about my activities and to
          share in some of the vittles. When I came off the road
          as a long-haul trucker, I wound up getting involved in
          Scouting again as a leader, and my love for Dutch
          ovens has continued to grow ever since.

          That�s my story........and I'm sticking with it.

          P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
          cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
          red-necks out further east of me........

          Mark Wilkins
          Glendale, AZ

          --- Patricia Peoples <patricia_peoples_99@...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Mark,
          >
          > Thanks for the welcome. How long have you been
          > cooking with DO's? Frank and I are going to a
          > cooking school in June in Perryville MO. I'm really
          > excited about going. I'm sure that we will learn
          > lots there.
          >
          > Patricia * Frank Peoples
          > KCMO
          >
          > >> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:33:25 -0800 (PST)
          > From: Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...>
          > Subject: Re: Re:Getting Started
          >
          > Welcome Patricia & husband. Let us know if there's
          > anything you need to make your cooking adventures
          > successfull.
          >
          > Mark Wilkins >>

          > removed]

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • Mesa High Class of 83 ( Lynn LeSueur)
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 17, 2004
            >P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
            >cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
            >red-necks out further east of me........

            >Mark Wilkins
            >Glendale, AZ

            Mark I sure hope you're talking about further East than me..... I Just came
            off the Mountain by Strawberry with about 3000 Scouts. Finished up by
            helping a fellow Scouter Clean out his DO. He had a 16" Lodge with a 14"
            Cooking Stone in the bottom. Man that pizza had the best Thin & Crispy
            Crust. I on the other hand had the opportunity to be working on Survival
            Techniques with the older Boy's " Can you live out of a Backpack for 24Hr's?
            " I sure missed my DO's, I love Tailgate Camping. ;0

            Lynn in Mesa AZ (to the East of Mark & Gary)

            P.S. the only road kill I saw was a small rabbit, not worth Stopping.
          • Ken Brown
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 17, 2004
              You have to be further east to find any roadkill. As hot as it gets in Arizona, roadkill becomes mummified before anyone finds it!

              For nine years, there was a sign in the concession stand:
              "Roadkill's Revenge Chili Company"
              No one ever complained--No one ever asked for a recipe either!
              And we never had anything left over!
              Nine years was enough to run a Junior High Concession Stand.

              Ken

            • markcase@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                You know how to tell the difference between good road kill and band road
                kill? On your way to town, you stop, put a circle around all the road kill and
                your initials next to the circle. On the way home, all the road kill without
                circles or initials are fresh and good!

                Mark Case
                Randleman, NC

                In a message dated 4/17/2004 8:26:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                mesahigh83@... writes:
                P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
                >cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
                >red-necks out further east of me........

                >Mark Wilkins
                >Glendale, AZ

              • Sherry
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                  markcase@... wrote:

                  >You know how to tell the difference between good road kill and band road
                  >kill?

                  Does the band road kill come with musical instruments?

                  Sherry

                • Ann Blake
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                    rof!!!.......now, Mark........you are going to have the entire group thinking that is how we stock our freezers in this neck of the woods!! BTW...about that DOG in Goldsboro..... uhmmm.....if I see chalk outlines around road kill on the way......

                    markcase@... wrote:You know how to tell the difference between good road kill and band road

                    mesahigh83@... writes:
                    P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
                    >cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
                    >red-necks out further east of me........

                    >Mark Wilkins
                    >Glendale, AZ

                    Then click on "Leave Group".

                  • Jim Peterson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                      I had a roommate when I was in college, who would go out driving in search of fresh road-kill deer. He was very picky about only picking up freshly killed deer. Often he arrived at the scene while the driver was still there. We had to go out and buy a freezer to store it all, but we lived off those deer for several months.

                      Big Jim

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                        Yep, them Arizona jack-rabbits aint got much meat on
                        them. Any info on where he got the cooking stone?

                        <mesahigh83@...> wrote:
                        > >P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
                        > >cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
                        > >red-necks out further east of me........
                        >
                        > >Mark Wilkins
                        > >Glendale, AZ
                        >

                        > Mark I sure hope you're talking about further East
                        > than me..... I Just came
                        > off the Mountain by Strawberry with about 3000
                        > Scouts. Finished up by
                        > helping a fellow Scouter Clean out his DO. He had a
                        > 16" Lodge with a 14"
                        > Cooking Stone in the bottom. Man that pizza had the
                        > best Thin & Crispy
                        > Crust. I on the other hand had the opportunity to be
                        > working on Survival
                        > Techniques with the older Boy's " Can you live out
                        > of a Backpack for 24Hr's?
                        > " I sure missed my DO's, I love Tailgate Camping.
                        > ;0
                        >

                        > Lynn in Mesa AZ (to the East of Mark & Gary)
                        >
                        > P.S. the only road kill I saw was a small rabbit,
                        > not worth Stopping.

                        http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
                      • Lynn LeSueur
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                          Mark,

                          I guess you've never seen the Drumsticks you can pull off a full grown
                          Jackrabbit. ( Yes Rabbit tastes like chicken!)
                          The Stone was one from Pampered Chef http://www.pamperedchef.com/ Ask your
                          wife I'm sure she's been to a party. The rules on stones are real similar,
                          Season the stones up with greasy food (Crescent rolls) and never Wash with
                          Soap and water. Soon they are nice and slick. They get a Dark Brown as they
                          age. They do have a Nylon pan scraper that comes in handy to get the last
                          bit of cobbler out of a DO.

                          Lynn

                          <mesahigh83@...> wrote:
                          > >P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill
                          > >cooking.....I leave that up to them hillbilly
                          > >red-necks out further east of me........
                          >
                          > >Mark Wilkins
                          > >Glendale, AZ
                          >

                          > Mark I sure hope you're talking about further East
                          > than me..... I Just came
                          > off the Mountain by Strawberry with about 3000
                          > Scouts. Finished up by
                          > helping a fellow Scouter Clean out his DO. He had a
                          > 16" Lodge with a 14"
                          > Cooking Stone in the bottom. Man that pizza had the
                          > best Thin & Crispy
                          > Crust. I on the other hand had the opportunity to be
                          > working on Survival
                          > Techniques with the older Boy's " Can you live out
                          > of a Backpack for 24Hr's?
                          > " I sure missed my DO's, I love Tailgate Camping.
                          > ;0
                          >

                          > Lynn in Mesa AZ (to the East of Mark & Gary)
                          >
                          > P.S. the only road kill I saw was a small rabbit,
                          > not worth Stopping.

                          Then click on "Leave Group".
                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Mike Wilkins
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                            I've also seen Pizza Stone at Target. They have them online at
                            Target.com for 11.99. Comes with wooden spatula to remove pizza from
                            stone- Measures 14 3/4 inches. Probably would fit nice in my 15"
                            maca. Wonder if Mark or dad has that? Hmmm?