Re: dutch oven table

  • ilovecastironcooking101
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2003
      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "SCOTT" <cigar1032@y...>
      wrote:
      > I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
      > oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and suggestions?

      Re: dutch oven table
      The only table that I have seen was made out of Stainles steel. They
      last for many years. I hope that this is the right way to do this
      answering.
    • steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        wrote:
        > I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
        > oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and
        suggestions?
        Scott I used 1/16 inch steel for mine and I have some made from
        plow disc. I believe there is a pic of a disc in the photo section,
        the plow disc were not my idea but they work well. I have pics in
        the cooking with the captain group under wild_turkey of a recycled
        bbq. work well on the deck WT
      • Robert of Aylington
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          >--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "SCOTT" <cigar1032@y...>
          >wrote:
          >> I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
          >> oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and suggestions?
          >
          >Re: dutch oven table
          >The only table that I have seen was made out of Stainles steel. They
          >last for many years. I hope that this is the right way to do this
          >answering.

          <snip>
          Mild steel sheet would do the trick, but ...
          Unless you have the fabrication/welding equipment you would be better
          off in the long run ($$$) buying an off the shelf DO table from
          someone like camp chef IMHO
          --
          Walt Cornell

          waltcornell92284@...
          archer@...

          If you're singing Christmas songs on your neighbor's lawn at night
          with your church group, it's called "caroling." But if you're doing
          it alone with no pants on, it's called "drunk and disorderly."

        • wasabear_2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
            wrote:
            > I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
            > oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and
            suggestions?

            I bought my table from www.chuckwagonsupply.com. They were very
            friendly I am guessing they would talk to you about the materials.
            You might find it cheaper and faster to get it from them.

            I looked at alot of tables; and chose this one for the size, I hope
            to someday have 2 16s and 2 14s, and this will let me put 4 12's or
            3 14s across, and the wind screen goes at least 2 ovens high-

            Largest i could find.

            Brian
          • Ken Brown
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
              Now that you have gotten some ideas, I will mention that if you have a recycling center close where you can buy materials, the cost
              goes down a lot. For example, the angle iron used could easily be found in old bed frames. At 15 cents a pound for scrap metal, you
              could buy enough angle iron to make a table for about $5.00 Light sheet metal is sometimes easy to get, but it may take a time or
              two going back to find what you want.

              My angle iron comes from garage sales or the recycling center. Working and welding the iron may be a problem, unless you have a
              wealder or a friend with a welder and a chop saw.
              A wire welder works best on the thin iron.
              Ken

              > >--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "SCOTT" <cigar1032@y...>
              > >wrote:
              > >> I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
              > >> oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and suggestions?
            • John W
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
                I had a fab shop cut me a piece of 7ga. steel 2 ft. by 4ft. and bend
                the front and back up 45 degrees. sides flat. Used a pair of foldup
                legs avilable at any hardware store or SUPER Lumber Centers. $41.00
                for steel and $20.00 for legs. Tables heavy too. My next one I am in
                the process of building is going to 2ft. by 4 ft & 7ga Alum. I'm
                working on the leg setup. I havent figured how I want the legs.
                Fold up or add on when setting up table with thumb screws like some
                other tables. The legs will be made out of Square Alum Tubing. Have
                Alum Windscreens for steel table and will put Alum wind screens on
                new table too.
                A friend of mine used a door off a big metal working machine they
                make where he works at. They drilled the holes in the wrong spot or
                something but rejectedthe door. He bought it from them and put
                folding legs on it and painted it Black. Another friend builds and
                sell tables here in Wichita,Ks. I have picturesof all three tables
                in my photo site,Look under DO Cooking.
                http://photos.yahoo.com/dutchovencook99/ Good luck on your table,
                johnwks
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
                  My Camp CHef table was $59.95 and came with windscreen
                  and bag for the leg extensions.

                  Mark

                  --- John W <dutchovencook99@...> wrote:
                  > I had a fab shop cut me a piece of 7ga. steel 2 ft.
                  > by 4ft. and bend
                  > the front and back up 45 degrees. sides flat. Used a
                  > pair of foldup
                  > legs avilable at any hardware store or SUPER Lumber
                  > Centers. $41.00
                  > for steel and $20.00 for legs. Tables heavy too. My
                  > next one I am in
                  > the process of building is going to 2ft. by 4 ft &
                  > 7ga Alum. I'm
                  > working on the leg setup. I havent figured how I
                  > want the legs.
                  > Fold up or add on when setting up table with thumb
                  > screws like some
                  > other tables. The legs will be made out of Square
                  > Alum Tubing. Have
                  > Alum Windscreens for steel table and will put Alum
                  > wind screens on
                  > new table too.
                  > A friend of mine used a door off a big metal working
                  > machine they
                  > make where he works at. They drilled the holes in
                  > the wrong spot or
                  > something but rejectedthe door. He bought it from
                  > them and put
                  > folding legs on it and painted it Black. Another
                  > friend builds and
                  > sell tables here in Wichita,Ks. I have picturesof
                  > all three tables
                  > in my photo site,Look under DO Cooking.
                  > http://photos.yahoo.com/dutchovencook99/ Good luck
                  > on your table,
                  > johnwks

                  Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                  http://companion.yahoo.com/
                • Brian Whitaker
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
                    I can second Brian's comments. I also have a 48" DO table from Chuck Wagon
                    Supply. It is designed to support several ovens. Thanksgiving I had a Maca
                    17" with 24# turkey, and Lodge 14", 12" and 8" on it at one point. It is not
                    for the feint of heart though weighing 60# but it does deliver.
                    Another Brian
                    Stafford, VA
                    > I am looking into constructing a table to cook on with my dutch
                    > oven . And was wondering what kind of steel is used and
                    suggestions?

                    I bought my table from www.chuckwagonsupply.com. They were very
                    friendly I am guessing they would talk to you about the materials.
                    You might find it cheaper and faster to get it from them.

                    I looked at alot of tables; and chose this one for the size, I hope
                    to someday have 2 16s and 2 14s, and this will let me put 4 12's or
                    3 14s across, and the wind screen goes at least 2 ovens high-

                    Largest i could find.

                    Brian

                  • jc_carlyle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                      I can third it. I also purchased their delux 48" table with aluminum
                      windscreen. It is the Cadillac of DO tables. (IMHO)
                      Carlyle

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Whitaker"