Re: Tripod

  • John W
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
      What is the porpose of the extra Irons? I have a 3 iron set up but
      yours is the first 5 iron setup. Does one side swing out of the way
      of the fire to check things in the pot. Enquireing Minds want to
      Know. I'm always open to new ideas. johnw-ks
    • luscnn
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        OK, my turn, a couple things about a tripod I havn't seen yet is the
        advantage of temp. control by height as well as # of coals. This is
        also an option with Fire Irons if you have "S" hooks. I see this all
        the time when I go to the Re-Enactments (Rev War). I have Fire irons
        too, they come in handy if you're trying to cook a ham, turkey,
        chicken over the fire.

        Another advantage is uneven terrain. If you're on a slope it's not
        such a pain to level things off. Gravity is good to you in this case.
        I also like my tripod because I can use my stovetop DO's outdoors
        unless you can put one on a grate over the fire. Before I purchased
        my "Camp" ovens (which I should have done first), I already had some
        stovetop DO's that I couldn't figure out how to use outdoors. After I
        had purchased my tripod it dawned on me I had a way to use my
        stovetop DO's outdoors. It still has it's limitations but I was glad
        to see I had that option.

        Happy Cooking
        Matt :-)

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
          There has been much discussion regarding Cobblers �
          Dump Cobblers and what constitutes a cobbler. I ran
          across these definitions in a cookbook titled �500
          Treasured Country Recipes� by Martha Storey, which
          might clear up some of the confusion (or create even
          more).

          Betty: A baked pudding, layered with fruit, sugar,
          spices, and bread or bread crumbs.

          Buckle: A fruit-filled coffee cake baked with a
          crumbly topping.

          Cobbler: A deep-dish, baked fruit dessert with a thick
          biscuit-like crust.

          Crisp: A layer of sweetened fruit or pie filling baked
          with a crisp crumbly topping of butter, sugar, flour,
          and sometimes nuts or oats. Sometimes called a
          �crunch�.

          Fool: A dessert of fruit pur�e folded into whipped
          cream.

          Grunt or Slump: A fruit dessert made by dropping
          biscuit dough onto bubbling, cooked fruit. The biscuit
          steams like dumplings, with the fruit peeking through.

          Mark Wilkins