RE: Lodge Cornish Game Hen Recipe

  • Jim Jessup
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hope that this comes through. I've kept the recipe for a few years, but
      haven't prepared it yet. I will, one of these days.
      Stuffed Cornish Game Hens

      Dutch Oven diameter

      10"

      12"

      14"

      Charcoal Briquettes

      30

      36

      52

      Game hens, 1 to 1 ¼ lbs each

      2

      3

      5

      Stuffing (use a favorite recipe)

      1 ½ cups

      2 cups

      4 cups

      Salad oil

      ½ Tsp

      ¾ Tsp

      1 Tsp

      Paprika

      ½ Tsp

      ¾ Tsp

      1 Tsp

      Carrots, large, cut in

      3" lengths

      2

      3

      5

      Ears of corn, medium size, husks and silks removed, cut into chunks

      1 or 2

      2 or 3

      3 or 4

      Salt and pepper

      Servings

      2

      3

      5

      Rinse hens and pat dry. Fill body and breast cavities with stuffing.
      Pour oil into Dutch oven and rub over the bottom. Place hens, breast
      side up, in oven; dust birds with paprika and surround with carrots.
      Put lid on oven.

      Set up Dutch oven to cook. Beneath, use 10 freshly ignited coals for a
      10" oven, 12 for a 12" oven and 17 for a 14" oven. Ignite remaining coals.

      Cook hens 25 minutes; lift lid and add corn. Replace lid and arrange
      remaining ignited coals evenly over lid. Cook until meat at the
      thighbone is no longer pink (cut to test) about 20 minutes longer. Add
      salt and pepper to taste.

      Good luck, and keep your pots hot.

      Jim
      Used to be a Beaver