Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Temperature?

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
      Thanks, Roy. That's just what I was looking for!
      Sue
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thanks, Jeff.
        Lots of good information here. It has been so long since I have DO cooked. I have never had a recipe fail....just had some that were really not that good. <g>
        sue

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thanks, Kathy.
          I noticed on your website that Amazon does not sell them anymore. And, a Google search doesn't seem to turn any up, either. So, I guess I go with the regular oven type.
          Too bad. Looked like a great accessory. You would think that some of the DO supply places would sell them.
          sue

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
            Sue,

            Sur La Table (a cooking store) sells them in the stores. So do several of
            the barbeque stores. If you come to DOG's out here, we generally put one
            or two into the raffle. However, for this weekend's AZ DOG, we are
            bringing/donating a 10 inch TexSport DO instead. (And no Mark, it hasn't
            been seasoned yet..)

            Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft MVP PowerPoint
            Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
            Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com

            Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, parent, and whatever else there is
            time for
            I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
            if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we
            lived

              The best thing we have found for temperature control is a thermometer.
              There are round grill thermometers sold by Taylor, as well as several
              companies who make square ones. You lay these on the top of your Dutch
              Oven (yes, in the coals) and they tell you the oven's temperature. If it
              is low, add coals. If it is high, take some away.

              If you can't find a grill thermometer, you can also use a plain oven
              thermometer. Bend the stand part flat and lay it on the oven lid.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Then click on "Leave Group".

            • Sue
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                Darn! Sur La Table doesn't show it in their online store. Guess I will just have to keep my eyes open.
                sue

                ----- Original Message ----- From: Kathy Jacobs

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Good idea, Jeff. I think that's what I will do.
                  sue

                  If you check at a cooking store look for an oven thermometer. You can place it right into the oven to check the temp. Dick & I use one when we were cooking in Cookoffs. That way we knew exactly how hot our oven was when we started cooking our dish. Then we could maintain a constant heat from there. At one cookoff we had it in an oven that was sitting in the sun, with no coals on it. The oven was over 250 degrees inside, with no coals on it. JeffC

                • janet_norris_2000
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Sue,
                    I bought a grill thermometer at a restaurant supply house. They are
                    out there...

                    Regards, Janet

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <kup@e...> wrote:
                    > Good idea, Jeff. I think that's what I will do.
                    > sue

                  • Brenda Wildish
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Sue~

                      I called sur la table and asked them to ship me the thermometers.
                      It's an item that they don't carry in their catalog, but they do in
                      their stores. Taylor grill thermomethers and they are 9.95 each. I
                      have ordered several and I really like using them.

                      Brenda
                      Southern CA

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <kup@e...> wrote:
                      > Good idea, Jeff. I think that's what I will do.
                      > sue

                    • Roy Powell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                        Hi Brenda,
                        I have not heard of Sur La Table, is it a store? I would like to
                        find out about that thermomether also. Is Taylor grill a brand name
                        in other stores?
                        Sorry for all the questions but this sounds like a good one.

                        Roy

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Wildish"
                        <DutchOvenGal@a...> wrote:
                        > Sue~
                        >
                        > I called sur la table and asked them to ship me the thermometers.
                        > It's an item that they don't carry in their catalog, but they do in
                        > their stores. Taylor grill thermomethers and they are 9.95 each.
                        > have ordered several and I really like using them.
                        >
                        > Brenda
                        > Southern CA
                        >
                        > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <kup@e...> wrote:
                        > > Good idea, Jeff. I think that's what I will do.
                        > > sue

                      • Robert Curtis
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                          Brenda,

                          I received my 2003 IDOS Pin in the mail the other day and it is really nice. But I have a dumb question: What is the white plastic thing with rounded corners? It has Camp Chef on one side and IDOS on the other. I noticed that each corner has a different radius on the curve. Could this be a pot scraper to fit the corners of the different sized Camp Chef pots? Works great for popping the pop tops on cans too. Tell everyone how sorry we are not to be with you guys this week end but it just didn't work out to where we could be there. I know all of you are going to have a really great time. Maybe next time..............Bob
                          I called sur la table and asked them to ship me the thermometers.
                          It's an item that they don't carry in their catalog, but they do in
                          their stores. Taylor grill thermomethers and they are 9.95 each. I
                          have ordered several and I really like using them.

                          Brenda
                          Southern CA

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <kup@e...> wrote:
                          > Good idea, Jeff. I think that's what I will do.
                          > sue

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Then click on "Leave Group".

                        • Brenda Wildish
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                            Hi Roy~

                            No problem on how many questions. You go ahead and ask away!

                            There are two in LA that you can call, just go to their website and
                            get the phone #'s.

                            Taylor is the brand name, but sur la table is the cheapest I found
                            (9.95). I have seen the same thermometer at other kitchen or BBQ
                            stores go for 24.95! A big difference in price.

                            I was in Las Vegas last month and was at the sur la table in the
                            aladin hotel. Walked right by a bunch of the thermometers, was
                            tempted to buy a few for a friend, but decided to put the money in
                            the slot machine instead! ;-) I'm glad I didn't buy them, she had
                            already ordered them.

                            They are wonderful to work with and will ship the same day. I just
                            received an order for the AZ DOG. I had a new chuck box made and I
                            am stocking it with some new tools.

                            Kathy Jacobs from AZ introduced this thermometer to me (I won one)
                            and I really enjoy using it as a DO tool.

                            I think you will enjoy using them as well.

                            Brenda

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Powell"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                              Well Bob~

                              You got me! I didn't receive anything like that, but from what you
                              describe, it is probably a pot scapper.

                              Hey glad you got some rest. I already pasted on your regrets to Mark
                              and he was sorry to hear you wouldn't be able to attend, but
                              understood.

                              I'm going to try and get on the road this afternoon and stay with my
                              daughter in Prescott, then leave for Strawberry in the morning.

                              You take care of yourself and get some more rest. I'll talk with you
                              when I return.

                              Brenda

                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Curtis" <curt@p...>

                              Service.

                            • Barbara Wilkins
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                                Gary says "its a guitar pick" ........

                                --- Robert Curtis <curt@...> wrote:
                                > Brenda,
                                >
                                > I received my 2003 IDOS Pin in the mail the other
                                > day and it is really nice. But I have a dumb
                                > question: What is the white plastic thing with
                                > rounded corners? It has Camp Chef on one side and
                                > IDOS on the other. I noticed that each corner has a
                                > different radius on the curve. Could this be a pot
                                > scraper to fit the corners of the different sized
                                > Camp Chef pots? Works great for popping the pop
                                > tops on cans too. Tell everyone how sorry we are
                                > not to be with you guys this week end but it just
                                > didn't work out to where we could be there. I know
                                > all of you are going to have a really great time.
                                > Maybe next time..............Bob

                                http://shopping.yahoo.com
                              • Robert Curtis
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                                  Hi Barbara,

                                  That'll work, now all I need is the guitar and the musical ability to know how to play it. It's nice and big and would be easy to hold. It is about 1 1/2 inches each way and has a thumb impression in the center so you could hold it securely. On the IDOS side it has their Website and on the Camp Chef side it has an 800 number and their Website. It tapers down very thin at the edges so I think I will go with the scraper idea ( since I don't have a guitar anyway) It just came in the package with my pin and a small thank you note from Ron Hill, President of IDOS, for joining up and no explanations. I just figured someone out there would have gotten one also and would know what it was. Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the guitar idea. It has four corners to pick from...............Bob
                                  > I received my 2003 IDOS Pin in the mail the other
                                  > day and it is really nice. But I have a dumb
                                  > question: What is the white plastic thing with
                                  > rounded corners? It has Camp Chef on one side and
                                  > IDOS on the other. I noticed that each corner has a
                                  > different radius on the curve. Could this be a pot
                                  > scraper to fit the corners of the different sized
                                  > Camp Chef pots? Works great for popping the pop
                                  > tops on cans too. Tell everyone how sorry we are
                                  > not to be with you guys this week end but it just
                                  > didn't work out to where we could be there. I know
                                  > all of you are going to have a really great time.
                                  > Maybe next time..............Bob

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Then click on "Leave Group".