70535RE: [dutchovencooking] What is your favorite one dish meal?

  • Barry Lindley
    Mar 17, 2014

      Beef bourguignon

      Dutch Oven

      6- Strips uncooked bacon, cut in ½-inch pieces

      3- pounds beef rump or chuck, cut in 1 ½-inch cubes

      1-large carrot, peeled and sliced

      1- medium onion, sliced 1 ½- teaspoon salt 1/8- teaspoon pepper

      3- tablespoon unbleached  all-purpose flour

      1- can (10 ½ ounces) condensed beef broth

      1 ½- cups red wine

      1-teaspoon tomato paste

      4- garlic cloves, minced

      1 ½- teaspoon thyme

      1- bay leaf

      8- ounces small white onions, peeled

      1- pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

      2- tablespoon margarine

      Cook bacon in the Dutch Oven or skillet until crisp. Remove bacon.

      Add beef cubes and brown well in the bacon fat.

      Remove the browned beef cubes and set aside. Brown carrots and onion.

      Season with salt and pepper. Stir in flour. Add broth and mix well.

      Put beef cubes back in Dutch Oven, add cooked bacon, wine, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and onions.

      Bake in Dutch Oven for 45 minutes on medium heat, or cover and bake at 350 degree conventional oven for 45 minutes.

      Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms in margarine. Add mushrooms to Dutch Oven, cook for another 15 minutes.

      Yield: 6 to 8 servings

      Barry