69827Re: [dutchovencooking] RE: RE: RE: new to group

  • Wally Dennis
    Sep 28, 2013
      I use vinegar in my dutch ovens ally the time.  Especially to clean them.  I have a spray bottle of 1part vinegar 3 parts water that's all I use to clean my ovens with plus paper towels and Champ Chef scrappers.  Put ovens back on heat to dry out good.

      From: Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...>
      To: "dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com" <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:11 AM
      Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] RE: RE: RE: new to group
      Jean, whatever you cook in your home kitchen you can cook in your camp kitchen.
      Now that I got that out of the way, tomato based dishes can abuse your patina. Can being the key word. Until you have acquired strong patina its best to remove food from your cast iron as soon as practical. In other words, dont store food with tomato in it for any length of time.
      And yes you can use your cast iron for bean hole cooking.
      Randy Hebert
      From: Jean Reeves <jumpinginjello@...>; To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>; Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] RE: RE: RE: new to group Sent: Fri, Sep 27, 2013 2:09:31 PM

      Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I am a by-the-book cook until I am familiar with a recipe or method and I am also a visual learner so I really like cookbooks. We recently had an Emergency Prep Fair and it really made me excited to learn how to cook with a dutch oven. I have made artisan bread and stew and a few other things but nothing really to talk about.

      Do any of you have a "bean hole"? Is it similar to pit cooking? I have used a pit to cook a turkey and then cooked leftovers the next day in a DO in the pit because the pit was still hot enough to cook food. Best tasting leftovers ever! Of course we might have been especially hungry!

      Can you cook things containing tomatoes in a DO? What about vinegar?

      Thanks so much.

    • Show all 51 messages in this topic