60755Re: My First POT

  • Ken
    Apr 1, 2011
      My First pots were recycled from years ago. In 1964 my father remodeled the house, and added a large fireplace with hearth. He built a bar on the side which held a cooking grate and a swing hook. We cooked steaks over the fire in the winter, and soups and stews. The large hearth was fine to pull coals from the fire and cook on them. We had a ten inch long handle dutch oven which people today call a spider.

      We later sold that house, and packed up much of the fireplace cast iron. We were too busy to cook with it for many years. When I began to slow down and enjoy life, my first 'new' pot was a 10 inch Lodge. Been buying more ever since then.

      BTW: I went into the barn and found that spider when I began dutch oven cooking again. It makes great cornbread.

      > My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
      > in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.
      >
      > What was your first pot?

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic