53518Re: Easter menu?

  • Stan Kowalski Jr.
    Apr 2, 2009
      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Warner" <mwarner51@...> wrote:

      > Got the clan coming over for Easter Sunday. Wife is looking at oven capacity and wondering if we can do everything that she'll need. Before I open the big mouth and start to promise her ... if the main course is SPIRAL BAKED HAM (this is NY so we do it without Dr. Pepper), what are your suggestions for "Easter Sunday Like" menu items that can be done in the side yard in the black pot? Now remember, chili does not count as a side dish to a Yankee's Sunday Dinner.
      >
      > Any and all suggestions would be gratefully received.
      >
      > Mike in western NY

      (Sorry, this is NOT a DO meal)
      As an American of Polish descent, I was brought up with an Easter meal, heavily based on Palish, Catholic tradition. The food was prepared in a basket on Holy Saturday, then taken to Church where it was blessed by the parish priest. The food was then shared by the family on Easter sunday, usually after attending the sunrise Mass of Ressurection. As my wife and I have gotten older, we now share this meal with our children and grandchildren after everyone attends the Mass of their choice and assembles at our home about 1 pm.

      • The Baranek (Easter Lamb), made of butter or sugar (rock candy), but also of dough, wood, plaster, fleece or even plastic, symbolizes the sacrificial Paschal lamb, in other words Jesus himself, whose banner proclaims the victory of life over death.
      • Easter eggs signify new life; just as a chick pecks its way out of its shell, so too Christ rose from His tomb to bring us the promise of eternal life.
      • Bread, either a slice of ordinary rye bread or a special small round loaf imprinted with a cross,
      symbolizes "the bread of life" - a metaphor for God's grace that sustains us.
      • Meat and sausage are symbols of the Paschal lamb or Christ resurrected, His victory over death and His promise of eternal life.
      • Horseradish is one of the bitter herbs of the Passover which foretold the suffering of Christ on the Cross. It is also symbolic of life in which one must accept the bitter with the sweet.
      • Vinegar symbolizes the sour wine (our English word "vinegar" comes from the French "vin aigre" - sour wine) which Jesus was given on a sponge to drink while hanging on the cross.
      • Salt symbolizes that which preserves us from corruption and adds zest to daily life.
      • Cakes and sweets suggest the sweetness of eternal life: following weeks of Lenten self-denial, they can now be freely enjoyed in celebration of Christ's Resurrection. The cakes are usually something like a babka (or baba), or a placzek (a type of Polish coffee cake).

      Stan Kowalski Jr.
      Chapter Director
      WNY Chapter IDOS
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic