53504Re: Easter menu?

  • Ronda
    Apr 1, 2009
      Our family likes the green bean & white corn casserole.

      Green Bean & White Corn Casserole

      (Fills a 9 x 13 baking dish)

      Ingredients:
      2 cans French style green beans, drained
      2 cans white shoe peg corn, drained
      2 cans cream of celery soup
      1 onion, chopped
      1/2 green pepper, chopped
      1 can sliced water chestnuts
      Pepper to taste
      1 tube Ritz crackers, crushed
      1 stick butter or margarine

      Directions: Mix together everything except crackers and butter and put in baking dish. Melt butter and mix with crushed crackers. Sprinkle on top of vegetable mixture. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour or so. May need to remove foil last few minutes to brown the cracker crumbs.

      Other optional "adds": chopped celery, slivered almonds.

      We use a 12" regular Ditch oven for this. We don't put the cracker crumbs on until about 45-60 minutes into the baking time. Add extra coals to the lid after putting the buttered cracker crumbs on top. I like to add slivered almonds to the cracker mixture also. I usually bake for an hour before adding the cracker crumb topping, then allow another 15 minutes or so for that. You can add cheese to the topping also, but our family prefers it without. Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Warner" <mwarner51@...> wrote:

      > Got the clan coming over for Easter Sunday. Wife is looking at oven capacity and wondering if we can do everything that she'll need. Before I open the big mouth and start to promise her ... if the main course is SPIRAL BAKED HAM (this is NY so we do it without Dr. Pepper), what are your suggestions for "Easter Sunday Like" menu items that can be done in the side yard in the black pot? Now remember, chili does not count as a side dish to a Yankee's Sunday Dinner.
      >
      > Any and all suggestions would be gratefully received.
      >
      > Mike in western NY

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic