52511Re: Butter Question?

  • Mike
    Feb 2, 2009
      Hello Biscuit,

      After watching the Cee Dub demo at this last years' Lincoln County
      Cowboy Symposium, make butter while cooking his seasoned Rhodes Rolls
      with Fant S., my brother and I bought a 1 qt churn on ebay. The
      thought of making a flavored butter hit home and we have made several
      variations since then. Chipotle butter, garlic butter, Italian butter
      and some that weren't hits, but it is relatively easy to do, if you
      know the tricks. Got to be room temp, not over filled, etc..
      I made some of the Chipotle Garlic combo Friday evening to use on some
      mashed potatoes. I used some sea salt in it and prefer salted butter
      for the flavored butter, but have made it w/o butter and it still is
      good.

      Mike

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Joanne. I have been meaning to write Paula Dean on this, but
      > have not got around to it. We watch FOOD TV a lot. Most Chefs, aka
      > Emeril and others uses a lot of salt. Emeril had his mother on one
      > time and fussed at him about too much salt.
      >

      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "jdhart99" <jdhart999@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Biscuit,
      > >
      > > I asked that very question when I was taking a class at the local
      > > culinary school here in Vegas. It was explained to me that unsalted
      > > butter is used in cooking so that the cook can better control to
      > > saltiness of the dish that they are cooking. The control the final
      > > saltiness of the dish by adding salt. Often cooks will use butter
      > in a
      > > pan sauce so they don't want the salt level effected by adding the
      > > butter. Ultimately it's about controlling the flavor.
      > >
      > > According to our chef, the vast majority of commercial recipes call
      > for
      > > unsalted butter.
      > >
      > > Joanne
      > >

      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > When do you use SALTED butter vs NON SALTED ?
      > > >
      > > > I always buy the Non Salted kind.
      > > >
      > > > Biscuit

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic