52503Re: Butter Question?

  • jdhart99
    Feb 1, 2009
      Hi Biscuit,

      I asked that very question when I was taking a class at the local
      culinary school here in Vegas. It was explained to me that unsalted
      butter is used in cooking so that the cook can better control to
      saltiness of the dish that they are cooking. The control the final
      saltiness of the dish by adding salt. Often cooks will use butter in a
      pan sauce so they don't want the salt level effected by adding the
      butter. Ultimately it's about controlling the flavor.

      According to our chef, the vast majority of commercial recipes call for
      unsalted butter.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:
      > When do you use SALTED butter vs NON SALTED ?
      > I always buy the Non Salted kind.
      > Biscuit
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic