52125RE: [dutchovencooking] Re: Happy New Year!

  • Joe Parajecki
    Jan 2, 2009
      Hey Roxi
      I was apprenticed some 30 years ago to a German Chef and started my days
      making hundred pound batches of spatzles, Despite that I still love them and
      so does my family
      Here is my recipe (a greatly reduced version of that one from years ago)

      3 eggs
      1 cup milk
      3 cups Flour
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp nutmeg

      Beat eggs until foamy and add milk. Mix together the other ingredients and
      add the milk/egg mixture to it slowly. The dough will look stiff

      Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add some salt to the water (just like
      cooking pasta)

      Now if you have a spatzle maker you just follow the instructions on it for
      using it (I got one from Amazon for $12 last year including shipping)
      If not put our colander over the pot and push the dough through the holes in
      the bottom of it with a rubber scraper.

      Let them cook for about 2 minutes and pull them out with a slotted spoon.
      (they float when they're done)

      put in a skillet with some melted butter and season to taste.

      very easy and very good

      but also a lot easier with the spatzle maker

      Joe

      _____