36603Re: new dutch oven

  • edmondcops
    Dec 31, 2006
      I'm with Ronda. I always season my new ovens once before I use them,
      even if they're "preseasoned." I think when they preseason, they just
      spray something on the surface. I've gotten too many "preseasoned"
      ovens that have had visible spots of seasoning missing right out of
      the box.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ronda" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

      > Kathy - It probably isn't necessary, but after washing my new, pre-
      > seasoned ovens, I still usually hadd a thin coat of crisco and
      > season for an hour or so in the oven.
      > As to the cold weather, just play it by ear. You might have to add
      > just a couple more coals. And if it's windy, you might want a wind
      > screen. Ronda
      >
      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Johnson"
      > <kajebj@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, I have been a lurker on the group. I am a Girl Scout leader
      > and
      > > trainer and am breaking into the "camp training for new leaders"
      > as
      > > aninstructor (not for winter camping though). I have used Do's in
      > the
      > > training but they were already seasoned. My daughter gave me an 8
      > > quart Lodge DO for Christmas and it says it is preseasoned. I was
      > > wondering if I can believe that I can just start cooking in it or
      > do I
      > > have to treat it in some way?
      > > I am looking forward to using it next week in our outdoor
      > fireplace,
      > > hopefully next weekend. Also - as I live in MA and it is getting
      > cold
      > > here do I need to up the amount of briquets to get a good heat?
      > > Thanks for your help,
      > > Kathy J

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic