17161Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: Dutch Oven boxes

  • markcase@aol.com
    May 1, 2004
      Well, remember a few weeks ago that I said I am frugal, not cheap, those same
      construction sites, I stop and get 2x4 and 2x6 lumber that was used to strap
      modular homes together in transport. They are full of staples. I pick them
      up along with the 1/4 to 1/2 sheets of plywood. I built a "bay" in my garage
      out of scrap wood. Shelves are 2 feet wide and 30 inches tall. It allows me
      to stack all my cast iron on the shelves. My BIG pots are stored on the
      bottom under the shelves.

      As far as transporting, I have a trailer that I put my DO and other
      equipment. It has a wood floor. DO on the bottom and other equipment in those Wenzel
      boxes.

      Remember about me being frugal not cheap? Well......... I just bought a pop
      up trailer that the top and insides were completely shot. (Paid $50 for it).
      I stripped it down to the frame and am building a low riding trailer that
      will have a cook table and ability to haul my CI on it. I couldn't get by on the
      free lumber, had to use pressure treated this time. So, for the rustic look,
      I bought lumber yard rejects. Still structurally sound, but the look is not
      for those $150,000 homes. Paid $50 for an entire pickup load. it will go
      along with the look of old time with the CI.

      I guess if the name "Frugal Gormet" was not already taken by Art Ginsburg, I
      would adopt that one as my nickname!

      Mark Case
      Randleman, NC
      In a message dated 5/1/2004 12:10:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rlb_51@... writes:
      So Mark - how do you store your DO's? Ours are stored outside in the
      shop, which is why we did the boxes. Course we don't have 50 pieces
      stored out there either! Is there a better way? The bags look nice
      but seem so expensive. The boxes do haul well in the back of the
      pickup.