Re: [Dutch Modeltruck Club] 2003 Kit News

  • adevries001
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
      That is just what I figured. Customers seem to like to classis
      (proven) design. I know I do. Maybe it needs time. Look at the KW
      T600. At first it was a disgrace how KW could design such a truck.
      But it went on to be their best selling model at one point in time. I
      must say the T2000 is to big a step forward from the W900 or even the
      T600. The Pete 385 I always found a logical design step forward after
      the 377 and 1997 385 model.And if the classic models still sell very
      good they don't really need to market the new models.

      Have a nice weekend,

      André
    • adevries001
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
        Tim, I just noticed I got the 385 and 387 mixed up. I thaught with
        the 385 you ment the T200O clone. Now I see the 385 was the follow-up
        of the 377 (right?) and the 387 is the most modern peterbilt model
        (the T2000 clone).

        I always did find Peterbilt types confusing.

        André
      • tahlborn@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
          Andre'
          There is a division of truckers who love the sloped hood, smooth looking
          designs, and there are those who like the classic "masculine" look for
          the traditional hoods (W900, 379, F-liner "Classic"). There is no
          inbetween on this, they either lover or hate. Those with the
          traditional likes dismiss the rounded smooth "modern looking" truck as
          "junk" and "ugly."

          Those who prefer the "modern" smooth look look at the other design as
          "stodgy and old."

          Me? I dislike the smooth slope nosed trucks. No character to them.
          Like USA car manufacturers of today, all the cars look the same. New
          truck designs look the same.

          Strangely, if the USA laws hadn't of changed (length laws), cabovers
          would still be the mainstay truck on the highway, and everyone would be
          driving aerodynamic looking boxes!

          I've been told that a Peterbilt 387 equipped with the same engine and
          running gear as a traditional looking 379-127" gets 1 mpg more than the
          traditional truck.

          Tim

          ************************************
          Check out www.plastic-cowboy.com if you like
          Big Rigs! The site I host that's stuffed full of scale
          model trucks!
          **********************************
        • tahlborn@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
            Andre'
            Here, let me confuse you more!
            The 377 continued until '00. The 385 came out around '99. The 385 was
            really only a short-hood 377 with a smoother hood.

            Then they made a the same hood for the 377 (only slightly smoother lines
            than the Italeri kit 377).
            They offered both hoods.

            The 385 was aimed at smaller fleets, and lower budget operations. As
            was the 377 originally.

            377's sales were never that great, and were slipping. So they merged
            both the 377 and the 385 together. The 385 is a 377 with shorter hood.
            The grille is also different, not as deep around the sides.

            The 357 just got a new hood for the set-back, more sloped for better
            visabilty, and larger fenders.

            I'm sure that eventually we will see the 379 as the only traditional
            truck in their line-up, and the other models having more sloped,
            smoother hoods.

            Now, more confusion:
            The 387 with the T2000 cab and sleeper (it has Peterbilt hood, chassis,
            suspension, tanks, interior, etc..) came out in '99 I think. From 1973
            until 1987 the 387 was a heavy-duty off-road construction truck! They
            reused the number, but for a completely different style.

            Here's a brief (yeah, right) rundown on the model numbers:
            379 - traditional conventional 119" and 127" BBC. Aluminum hood.
            (replaced 359)

            378 - traditional looking, fiberglass sloped hood 119" and 113" BBC
            replaced the 349 and fleet spec'd 359's.

            377 - fiberglass hood, set back or axle forward.

            385 - fibergs hood, set-back or axle forward shorter BBC than the 377

            387 - Aerodynamic convetional, short or long sleeper. Twin to KW T2000

            357 - looks like a 378, unless new set-back, new rounded smoother hood
            Construction and heavy applications
            (replaced the 353 and 387)

            330 - fibergass short hood for city delivery use (most built in
            St.Therese, Quebec Canada plant)

            320 - Low cab-forward COE for refuse and utility company use

            362 - Cabover. 90" and 110" BBC
            362E - Cabover, shorter, larger steps, smaller grille. Discontinued in
            '02.

            362 used to have a wide range of cab sizes, the last 63" daycab was
            built last fall.

            Before 1987 numbering:
            359 - Traditional conventional, 113, 119, 127 BBC Aluminum hood or
            fiberglass. Set back axle or forward.

            397 - Off road construction. Only 2 built.

            387 - Heavy construction. Steel flat "walk-on" fenders, steel hood.

            353 - Construction. Not as big as the 387.

            348 - fiberglass sloped hood, 113" bbc. For construction.

            349 - Fiberglass sloped hood, 119" BBC for highway or construction.
            349 6x6 had 359 hood.

            352 - Cabover, various sized cab BBC's.
            352H - Cabover, taller, taller radiator, meant for larger engines
            requiring more cooling.

            I won't go back beyond 1980 here.
            Before the mid 1980's, Peterbilt used two different model numbers to
            describe a single rear axle or tandem rear axle truck.
            For example, a tandem rear axle conventional was "359." The same truck
            as a single rear axle was a "289."

            A 352 with single axle was 282.

            See? Confused you more didn't I !

            Tim

            ************************************
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
              #$@^%#@&!(*$@)(!&$(^@!*$&^@*&$%, I'm going nuts here !!!!!!!!
              No, get a grip André. Thanks a lot Tim for that model list. You just
              have to be a walking Peterbilt Libary. I've printed your last message
              to keep along my Peterbilt brochures. Don;t worry, if you missed
              something I probably won't even notice.

              Thanks again,

              André
            • tahlborn@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
                Ha!
                I could go on and on and on..

                Living, breathing, obsessed with Peterbilts.

                The Duel movie truck was a 351. If you made it a single rear axle it
                would be a 281.

                If you used a tilt-hood, narrow radiator 358, made it a single rear
                axle, now you have a 288.

                They always used the "28_" as the single axle identifier. EXCEPT on
                several oddiites, like a single rear axle 353 construction truck, it was
                a 253, not a 283.

                A 348 was a 248, a 349 was a 249. I think they got lost on their
                numbering.

                This 300 - 200 numbering system dated back to "the beginning." The 350
                series of the 1940's had 350/250, 360/260, 370/270, 380/280, 390/290
                etc.

                By the way, there is a "mandate" in the Peterbilt company that all
                designs must resemble the 1955 Peterbilt 351. The chief engineer back
                then (George Brumbaugh) put this policy into effect, and it remains in
                effect today.

                Park a restored 1958 Peterbilt 351 next to a 2003 Peterbilt 379, paint
                them the same, put the same options and chrome on them, and the average
                person would think they were both the same year.

                Several trucking industry magazines have used photos of 30+ year old
                Peterbilts in advertisements for componants thinking they used a newer
                truck. This amuses the Peterbilt designers to no end.

                Tim

                ************************************
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
                  Okay, okay, okay, the numbers are less confusing and are starting to
                  make sence. But I just will not believe that John Doe can not see the
                  difference between a 50's and 90's Pete !?!? Even if the disgners
                  have to make use of the mandate. Or is it just me who has looked at
                  Peterbilt pictures to much to notice the difference? There is this
                  50th aniversay picture with a 379 and a 50's model Pete, both painted
                  red with white stripes, and sure there are lots of simularities but
                  they do not look the same!

                  Are you sure your vision is not being clouded by Peterbilt exhaust
                  smoke?

                  I'm sure you will read the above text as all in good fun,

                  André
                • tahlborn@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
                    Ha
                    That photo of the 379 and the older truck.. that truck is a 1939.

                    What confuses people more is that many modern trucks have been
                    customized with 1950's style fenders, narrow radiators, and other
                    styling cue's from the early days.

                    If you look at a modern 379, look at the cab's lines, especially a 379
                    with the raised roof "Ultra-Cab." It looks amazing like the 1955-72
                    Uni-Lite cab.
                    The hood, with no cut-outs for the air cleaners looks like the 351's
                    long hood.

                    Go to www.plastic-cowboy.com, go to in-progress page, and scroll to the
                    bottom. Look what a Kansas City dealer has done to 2 new 379's. They
                    sure resemble the old 351's!

                    Back in the 1970's when Peterbilt came out with the taller 359 cab,
                    truck owners did everything to make their older trucks more modern.

                    Today, they try to make their modern truck look older. Nostalgia for
                    the classic truck look still is strong in the KW and Pete owners.

                    I'm rambling for sure now.

                    Tim.

                    ************************************
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
                      Just as long as we're having you keep just keep on rambling.

                      I'm in the process of scanning a whole bunch of early eighties Dutch
                      trucking pictures and hope to upload them tonight. So I'll be away
                      from the club for a while.

                      Thanks for the nice rambling conversation about Pete's,

                      André
                    • tahlborn@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 1, 2003
                        Anytime!