alufoil on plastic

  • Jan 707
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      I would like to fall back on you people regarding your build up knowledge in modeling.
      Has anybody ever tried fitting household aluminiumfoil onto a plastic model, wether it would be an aircraft fuselage, wing or any other plastic surface?
      Which type of glue would be recommended to do this properly in order to get a smooth, slick finish without damaging the alufoil?
      Haven't tried anything so far, was thinking about using either hairspray, or white glue, maybe car varnish....

      Anyway, it must be something that doesn't dry to fast and leaves room (time) to stick the alufoil and straighten it out... have quite a large surface to cover in fact...

      All tips and ideas mostly welcome girls and boys :-)

      Thanks in advance & best regards
      Jan
      BRU
    • Hessel & Aletta
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
        Hi Jan,

        I do no there was a guy in Germany who made car wrecks like that. He used a thicker kind of foil and stretched it over plastic models and pushed them into wrecks for his car yunkyard. I don't no if there was glue involved.

        Hessel
        Op 4 nov. 2012, om 17:48 heeft Jan 707 het volgende geschreven:

        Hi all,

        I would like to fall back on you people regarding your build up knowledge in modeling.
        Has anybody ever tried fitting household aluminiumfoil onto a plastic model, wether it would be an aircraft fuselage, wing or any other plastic surface?
        Which type of glue would be recommended to do this properly in order to get a smooth, slick finish without damaging the alufoil?
        Haven't tried anything so far, was thinking about using either hairspray, or white glue, maybe car varnish....

        Anyway, it must be something that doesn't dry to fast and leaves room (time) to stick the alufoil and straighten it out... have quite a large surface to cover in fact...

        All tips and ideas mostly welcome girls and boys :-)

        Thanks in advance & best regards
        Jan
        BRU

      • James Austin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
          Before there was Baremetalfoil , we used kitchen foil, and thinned white glue...the cheaper thinner foil works best.
          Microscale ( the railroad decal people ) make an adhesive just for foil..

          Jim A.