DAF CF 6x2 question

  • Brendan
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
      I'm curious -- is the DAF CF 6x2 tractor (tag axle with single tyres on the tag) considered heavier than equivalent models from, say, Volvo (the FM)?

      Across the road from my office there's some building work going on, and I can see into the trucks leaving carting away the sand etc. I noticed that a DAF CF appeared to have a smaller load than the vehicles before or after it (a mix of 6x2 MAN F2000, Volvo FM and 6x4 Isuzu).

      Bren
    • André de Vries
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011

        Hello Bren,

        Normally it would not but it all depends on its configuration. The single tyres on the tag axle might indicate that its axle configuration can’t handle that much. Having said that, my dad’s old F12 had a single tyre tag axle and it moved 35ton! But it can also be that it just hasn’t got the horsepower? Although I can’t imagine the Isuzu having more? Any pictures?

        Maybe the driver is just being cautious?

        Regards, André

        I'm curious -- is the DAF CF 6x2 tractor (tag axle with single tyres on the tag) considered heavier than equivalent models from, say, Volvo (the FM)?

        Across the road from my office there's some building work going on, and I can see into the trucks leaving carting away the sand etc. I noticed that a DAF CF appeared to have a smaller load than the vehicles before or after it (a mix of 6x2 MAN F2000, Volvo FM and 6x4 Isuzu).

        Bren

        Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
        Versie: 10.0.1209 / Virusdatabase: 1500/3543 - datum van uitgifte: 03/31/11

      • Brendan
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
          I don't have pics -- I'm planning to sit outside the office tomorrow with my camera if the weather keeps playing nicely.

          The standard DAF CF sold here is the CF 85.410, so I don't think it's a horsepower thing. The trailers were also similar -- high-sided tippers.

          As for the driver being cautious -- I doubt it! Adherence to weight limits is ... well, flexible, here. The building site has a weighbridge installed -- and all the trucks go over the weighbridge before leaving.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011

            Maybe it already has a suspension problem? Otherwise I really haven’t got any idea why it is moving less than the others. Most CF 6x2 over here have a push-axle and can be really heavy:

            http://www.bouwmachineweb.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1705&g2_serialNumber=24

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
              Given that it's probably less than a year old (DAF's return to the Taiwan market is really recent), I doubt it would have suspension problems. Anyway -- I'll see if I see it tomorrow.

              Most CFs sold here are also push-axle setup, but there are a few (so far I've seen two or three) with the tag axle setup. None have the high roof though.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                This picture brings up another question -- why doesn't the truck have any side-underrun protection installed? Is it because it's a tipper? Or because the chassis is absolutely crammed full of things?

                Bren

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011

                  Is does have side underrun protection, only rather small. The distance between the truck and trailer wheels isn’t that large to begin with.

                  André

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Sorry -- I meant on the truck not on the trailer.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011

                      Ah, on the truck, yes, lack of space is the main reason.

                      André