"Mega-truck" on British roads

  • Brendan
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
      Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering wheels on the first trailer.

      Bren
    • Jonas A
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
        Well the Link compensates for tight turns but the standard trailer don´t. so In my opinion this system is worthless.

        2009/12/3 Brendan <breninasia@...>

        Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering wheels on the first trailer.

        Bren

      • Andre de Vries
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
          Looks like a typical B-train at first until you see the steering wheels on the first trailer. Must be working hydraulically coupled to the power steering unit of the tractor. Here in Holland we are still experimenting with a 25m setup that is more like the Scandinavian 25m trucks.
          And these experiments have been going one for 3 or 4 years now. Everything works fine but the environment people keep stirring up questions so that it is still not fully road legal.

          André

          On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:50:51 -0800 (PST)
          Brendan wrote:
          > Saw this
          interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking
          >about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in
          >the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering
          >wheels on the first trailer.

          > Bren

        • C. Mitchell
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009

            From my North American eyes it appears that Euro trucks rely a lot on complicated mechanisms on there trucks.  That has to lower the reliably of them.

            Charles Mitchell

            Brendan wrote:

            > Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking
            >about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in
            >the UK
            to test the law. What interests me is the steering
            >wheels on the first trailer.
            >
            > http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/uk_news/ 8387774.stm
            >
            > Bren

          • Jonas A
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
              All Links in Sweden has fixed axels. And the second trailer follows the same line as the front axle of the truck.
              As I said, that british system looks worthless and overworked.

              Here are 2 examplels of swedish 25.25 trucks.
              http://www.nor-truck.de/Hansson,%20N.%205er%20Scania%20SL%20Double-B-KSZ%203a-2a-3a%20li.JPG
              http://www.norvinge.se/foto/2000.0902.029.jpg

              2009/12/3 C. Mitchell <chuckyr@...>

              From my North American eyes it appears that Euro trucks rely a lot on complicated mechanisms on there trucks.  That has to lower the reliably of them.

              Charles Mitchell

              Brendan wrote:
              > Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking
              >about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in
              >the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering
              >wheels on the first trailer.
              >
              > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8387774.stm
              >
              > Bren

            • Jonas A

                Brendan wrote:
                > Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking
                >about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in
                >the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering
                >wheels on the first trailer.
                >
                > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8387774.stm
                >
                > Bren

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                  The truck actually got about 100 feet along the road before the police stopped it and ended the test.......Dave.

                  --- In dutchmodeltruckclub@yahoogroups.com, Brendan <breninasia@...> wrote:

                  > Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering wheels on the first trailer.
                  >
                  > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8387774.stm
                  >
                  > Bren

                • Brendan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Well, that was the plan. Now it goes to court as a test case.

                    I can see this being resolved in about 50 years' time.

                    Bren

                    The truck actually got about 100 feet along the road before the police stopped it and ended the test.......Dave.

                    --- In dutchmodeltruckclub@yahoogroups.com, Brendan <breninasia@...> wrote:

                    > Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering wheels on the first trailer.
                    >
                    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8387774.stm
                    >
                    > Bren

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        dutchmodeltruckclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        dutchmodeltruckclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • sean huber
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2009
                      We only need one trailer to hit 75 feet.

                      Sean

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2009

                        In North America the trucking industry is lobbying for 60 foot standard trailers.

                        Charles Mitchell

                        We only need one trailer to hit 75 feet.

                        Sean

                        Saw this interesting video clip on the BBC. It's talking about a 25 m (75-foot) truck that's taking to the road in the UK to test the law. What interests me is the steering wheels on the first trailer.

                        Bren

                      • JJJ
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009
                          --- In dutchmodeltruckclub@yahoogroups.com, "C. Mitchell" <chuckyr@...> wrote:

                          > In North America the trucking industry is lobbying for 60 foot standard
                          > trailers.
                          >

                          > Charles Mitchell
                          >

                          > _____

                          Charles,right now up in Montreal Quebec there are a few major firms using 57foot trailers(Pepsi) so whats another 3feet?..will just mean if allowed they wont be allowed into alot of major cities.simply because and I can speak for this trying to get around say NYC with even a 48ft let alone a 53ft trailer isa NIGHT-MARE!!!!!!!!..Jack(retired USA driver 38yrs.all x-country)
                        • C. Mitchell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009

                            > In North America the trucking industry is
                            lobbying for 60 foot standard
                            > trailers.
                            >

                            > Charles Mitchell
                            >

                            > _____

                            w:st="on"> UK to test the law. What

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009

                              Years ago gasoline semi trailers were restricted in the limits of NYC.  This restriction has since been lifted.  I know truckers that use to deliver 53 foot reefers to the Bronx farmers market.  To about a nightmare!

                              Charles Mitchell

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 5, 2009
                                The trucking industry or JB Hunt and Schneider?

                                Sean