Qff-topic questions (building aircraft -- horror of horrors!)

  • Brendan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I've asked these questions on a more appropriate forum, but didn't get any answers, so I'm asking here. Please reply to me directly, and don't clog up the lists with answers.

      I've really got myself into it this time -- I've offered to build the Academy Boeing Stratocruiser for a friend. I usually build models that are larger scale (1/24) and have more wheels ... this is the first time in a long time I've tackled an airliner, and I have a few questions.

      1) The instructions call for "Interior Green" -- any idea what colour that is (Tamiya equivalents greatly appreciated, since those are the only paints I can get here)?
      2) How do you recommend I get the best "natural metal finish"? The instructions call for the fuselage to be painted silver, but that gives a very uniform and rather flat finish that won't really give the "polished metal" finish I'd be looking for.
      3) How do I disguise the lack of a cabin interior? My current thoughts are to paint the inside of the fuselage castings flat black and then install the windows and hope that it's too dark in there to really see anything ... (I'm not up to scratchbuilding countless seats in 1/72 scale!)
      4) Anything else I should be aware of?

      I'm planning on painting the cockpit glass by installing it, then masking off the windows and spray painting the whole thing -- I've had pretty good success with this technique before, so am confident that it will work well here.

      Thanks
      Bren