Vini back in action?

  • Yousef Sheikh
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
      http://www.citylife.co.uk/news_and_reviews/news/10020315_vini_reilly___i_m_certainly_not_suicidal_any_more_
      Looking at the band's photos on Facebook, it would appear that they are very much in the afternoon pub covers band milieu. But good on them for getting Vini back onto a stage.
      I'll be skulking around there on Wednesday - anyone else going to be there?
      Yousef

    • Bryan Burford
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
        That sounds very encouraging, I'm glad he's making progress. I'm in Manchester next week as well, but unfortunately not on Wednesday.

        On 25 Feb 2012, at 13:08, Yousef Sheikh wrote:

        > http://www.citylife.co.uk/news_and_reviews/news/10020315_vini_reilly___i_m_certainly_not_suicidal_any_more_
        > Looking at the band's photos on Facebook, it would appear that they are very much in the afternoon pub covers band milieu. But good on them for getting Vini back onto a stage.
        > I'll be skulking around there on Wednesday - anyone else going to be there?
        > Yousef

      • s. borges
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
          "he�s been practising the martial art jiu-jitsu and playing football
          regularly" - ?!?!?!?!

          2012/2/25 Bryan Burford <bburford05@...>

          > That sounds very encouraging, I'm glad he's making progress. I'm in
          > Manchester next week as well, but unfortunately not on Wednesday.
          >
          > On 25 Feb 2012, at 13:08, Yousef Sheikh wrote:
          >

          > http://www.citylife.co.uk/news_and_reviews/news/10020315_vini_reilly___i_m_certainly_not_suicidal_any_more_
          > > Looking at the band's photos on Facebook, it would appear that they are
          > very much in the afternoon pub covers band milieu. But good on them for
          > getting Vini back onto a stage.
          > > I'll be skulking around there on Wednesday - anyone else going to be
          > there?
          > > Yousef

        • roger simonsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
            wow, thanks for sharing that article.  a real glimmer of possibilities seems to be on the horizon along with the now expanded 'chronicles' album.

            i was (and still am) a huge fan of the late vic chesnutt and the things he did from a wheel chair were extra-ordinary so i know that whatever limitations physically vini might have will simply lead him right to where he needs to be musically -- and it sounds like it's already begun!

            peace~
            roger

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
              i almost stumbled on that too -- it was referring to before the stroke.

              ________________________________
              "he’s been practising the martial art jiu-jitsu and playing football
              regularly" - ?!?!?!?!

              2012/2/25 Bryan Burford <bburford05@...>

              > That sounds very encouraging, I'm glad he's making progress. I'm in
              > Manchester next week as well, but unfortunately not on Wednesday.
              >
              > On 25 Feb 2012, at 13:08, Yousef Sheikh wrote:
              >

              > http://www.citylife.co.uk/news_and_reviews/news/10020315_vini_reilly___i_m_certainly_not_suicidal_any_more_
              > > Looking at the band's photos on Facebook, it would appear that they are
              > very much in the afternoon pub covers band milieu. But good on them for
              > getting Vini back onto a stage.
              > > I'll be skulking around there on Wednesday - anyone else going to be
              > there?
              > > Yousef

            • Matt Reilly
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                Yeah - those were Vini's two other big passions, aside from music, prior to his strokes.
                People always thought Vini was frail - he's hard as nails. He could wrestle people twice his size (including me) to the ground!

                Matt

                On 25 Feb 2012, at 14:52, "roger simonsen" <rogersimonsen@...> wrote:

                > i almost stumbled on that too -- it was referring to before the stroke.
                >
                > ________________________________

              • s. borges
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                  Well, on the soccer, hum...yes, that I can envision. Fast and slick -
                  probably very swift with the ball.

                  But wrestling?!? Oh come on now! This I have to see.

                  But, yes, the article was quite good - makes me happy to have bought
                  Cronicle from Phil last year. Guess I'll listen to it right now.

                  Thanks for the link.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                    It's unlikely Vini will be able to do much fighting now. His balance has deteriorated since the strokes. But believe me, he could hold his own against anyone before they happened.

                    Matt

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
                      Guess that's better, eh? This fighting thing is quite dangerous - easily
                      break his fingers or hand, screwing up his ability to play the guitar &
                      piano.

                      My son when very young took up jiu-jitsu as sport, which is very popular
                      here due to the Gracie family, who has promoted the style since time
                      immemorial. After about a year, I got him off and substituted the fighting
                      for piano lessons. At nine, he can decently play a good bunch of popular
                      soundtracks - way better than kicking his friends around or have his leg
                      broken. In the near-future, hope he can play some Satie.

                      Vini, who is hitting his mid-50s, now can dedicate all this time at what he
                      does best - his music.

                      cheers, s., rio.

                    • lekaml
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2012
                        Thanks for the article link, glad to read that Vini is doing better, encouraging article for those who unfortunately experience this kind of health problem. Edwyn Collins (former frontman of Orange Juice) had two brain hemorrhages and operations few years back and he is back on the track, indeed his last album after the strokes is one of the best, he's regularly touring, recording, producing,it is indeed encouraging.