Stockton Street Festival

  • John Childs
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      Mairk asked me to post this (Jophn the Bee)

      I am going to try to post to the Durham Jugglers group about Stockton
      street festival this weekend, there are often some good circus type acts
      on. more details at http://www.sirf.co.uk/index2.html

      If I fail to post can you post it to the newsgroup for me

      see you next week

      Thanks

      miark
    • Les
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006

         Jophn the Bee came forth out of Canaan bearing messages from Mairk prophet of the Chaldeans.  And lo! nobody gave a toss.

        However attached to this e-mail is a j-peg of the artwork for the next convention.  Comments both positive and negative are welcome but may be ignored.  The Market Tavern is already removed on the master so no need to point this out.

                                                       Les

      • Roger Davies
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006
          Les,

          I am not sure how you can consider the largest circus street festival in
          the North of England not to be relevant or of interest to the club.

          Several of us did make it to the festival last weekend and it was well
          worth a visit. I would suggest that it is well worth a visit next year.

          Roger

          Les wrote:

          > Jophn the Bee came forth out of Canaan bearing messages from Mairk
          > prophet of the Chaldeans. And lo! nobody gave a toss.
          >

          > However attached to this e-mail is a j-peg of the artwork for the next
          > convention. Comments both positive and negative are welcome but may be
          > ignored. The Market Tavern is already removed on the master so no need
          > to point this out.
          >

          > Les
          >

          > --

        • mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006
            Ii'm with Rog on this , it's been a fab festival for a few yers now,
            (especially good in 2000 ;o) ) and if i had got my act together would have
            been down there like a shot - well worth a visit.

            as for the artwork, i'm glad to have been part of the "consultation" on
            this - even if my comments "may be ignored"

            before i say my piece, i do not have another piece to take it's place,
            though would be willng to take/submit photoshopped photos if it's not too
            late.
            as a piece of artwork it's ok but i don't feel that it does the club
            justice, nor is much to do with the majority of the club and what it does. i
            understand that we've had stiltwalkers, jugglers and unicyclists on
            previous years and so -maybe- it's acro's time, but there are at most 6
            people doing it at a regular club meeting, with many meetings it being Colin
            and Anwen by themselves
            I wonder how many people will buy one as it is something that the majority
            of us don't do, i'll not but if i'm there i'll try and help sell them
            Mike
            > I am not sure how you can consider the largest circus street festival in
            > the North of England not to be relevant or of interest to the club.
            >
            > Several of us did make it to the festival last weekend and it was well
            > worth a visit. I would suggest that it is well worth a visit next year.
            >
            > Roger
            >
            > Les wrote:
            >>

            >> Jophn the Bee came forth out of Canaan bearing messages from Mairk
            >> prophet of the Chaldeans. And lo! nobody gave a toss.
            >>

            >> However attached to this e-mail is a j-peg of the artwork for the next
            >> convention. Comments both positive and negative are welcome but may be
            >> ignored. The Market Tavern is already removed on the master so no need
            >> to point this out.
            >>

            >> Les
            >>

            >> --

          • Les
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006
              If John the Bees had objected to what I wrote I could have understood,
              as I was (hopefully) gently mocking his typos by spelling out what they
              made me think of. He may not have seen the funny side of it I suppose,
              although I doubt it. I made no reference whatsoever to the street
              festival only to the fact that there had been no replies to the posting.
              All reports I have heard about this festival lead me to believe it is
              indeed an excellent spectacle and I am only sorry that I have never
              myself been able to attend.

              Les

              All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • John.Wolstenholme@ncl.ac.uk
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2006
                I agree with Mike, that the artwork has rather a minority appeal
                (possibly even 'out on a limb'?). My first impression was actually of
                some sort of medieval carrying off of the damsel for untoward
                purposes, but she looks quite happy about it. I don't have a problem
                with the concept of carrying off damsels (although at my age its easier
                if they can walk most of the way). I just wouldn't buy one on a T-shirt.

                I don't have anything else to offer, but will think about it. Maybe poi
                swinging. Oh no, I have said the 'p' word......

                I hadn't picked up that anybody had said anything inappropriate about
                the Stockton Festival. Too subtle for me. I'm going to start a Campaign
                for Patently Obvious Rude Remarks and Insults at Durham City
                Jugglers (CAMPORRAIADCJ). Otherwise, I am going to miss out on all
                the best arguments.....

                ........so just to make it absolutely clear, my remark about poi swingers
                wasn't a rude remark about poi swingers, it was a sideways swipe at
                people who are rude about poi swingers. Poi swingers need love too.
                Its not juggling, though, but then neither is acro, and most jugglers
                think acro's OK. And yo-yos are a topic best left alone.This plain
                speaking will get me into trouble...

                Dr John

                To: <durhamcityjugglers@yahoogroups.com>
                From: "mike" <juggler13@...>
                Date sent: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:29:20 +0100
                Subject: Re: [durhamcityjugglers] Stockton Street Festival and convention artwork
                Send reply to: durhamcityjugglers@yahoogroups.com

                > Ii'm with Rog on this , it's been a fab festival for a few yers now,
                > (especially good in 2000 ;o) ) and if i had got my act together would
                > have been down there like a shot - well worth a visit.
                >
                > as for the artwork, i'm glad to have been part of the "consultation"
                > on this - even if my comments "may be ignored"
                >
                > before i say my piece, i do not have another piece to take it's place,
                > though would be willng to take/submit photoshopped photos if it's not
                > too late. as a piece of artwork it's ok but i don't feel that it does
                > the club justice, nor is much to do with the majority of the club and
                > what it does. i understand that we've had stiltwalkers, jugglers and
                > unicyclists on previous years and so -maybe- it's acro's time, but
                > there are at most 6 people doing it at a regular club meeting, with
                > many meetings it being Colin and Anwen by themselves I wonder how many
                > people will buy one as it is something that the majority of us don't
                > do, i'll not but if i'm there i'll try and help sell them Mike -----
                > Original Message ----- From: "Roger Davies"
                > <roger.davies@...> To: <durhamcityjugglers@yahoogroups.com>
                > Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:33 PM Subject: Re:
                > [durhamcityjugglers] Stockton Street Festival and convention artwork
                >

                > > Les,
                > >
                > > I am not sure how you can consider the largest circus street
                > > festival in the North of England not to be relevant or of interest
                > > to the club.
                > >
                > > Several of us did make it to the festival last weekend and it was
                > > well worth a visit. I would suggest that it is well worth a visit
                > > next year.
                > >
                > > Roger
                > >
                > > Les wrote:
                > >>

                > >> Jophn the Bee came forth out of Canaan bearing messages from
                > >> Mairk
                > >> prophet of the Chaldeans. And lo! nobody gave a toss.
                > >>

                > >> However attached to this e-mail is a j-peg of the artwork for the
                > >> next convention. Comments both positive and negative are welcome
                > >> but may be ignored. The Market Tavern is already removed on the
                > >> master so no need to point this out.
                > >>

                > >> Les
                > >>

                > >> --
                > >> 8/5/2006