party tents

  • Les
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005

      Hi everybody!

                              Time to think about party tents I think.  Andy and us went to see one example on Sunday.  The poles were 38mm diameter and single sections 2m long.  A nice big 4m by 6m tent like this would need a lot of room in several vehicles to shift it. We decided to look for alternatives but it has to be said that most party tents of this size and strength are made by the same people.  Prices on e-Bay seem best.    However I have found what may be a more transportable tent without the size and weight problems.  Relum make tents for scout groups etc.  They have a Jamboree 600 which is the magic 4m by 6m and weighs in at a more reasonable 60 kgs.  The poles are 26mm diameter and may also be half lengths although this is not clear from the web site.  Anyway if you want a look go to www.tents-direct.co.uk   This one site seems to have all possible alternatives to compare.  Also those of  you who have seen our van awning know that it is quite large and with proper guying will stand up in a wind, could a large tunnel tent be a possibility? See you all Tuesday

                                                                  Les

    • AndyN
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
        As Les said we went looking at 'Party Tents' on Sunday. Although they are
        perfect in size, that size comes with the problem of 2m long poles. I found
        a site www.ajmshopping.co.uk which have a reasonable selection, 2 which came
        to mind were item numbers 05638 and 00798 although the latter may be no
        better than what we had? Thoughts and comments please.
        Andy
      • AndyN
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6, 2005
          Me and Karen paid makro a visit tonight to look at the 'Festival Tent' Dylys
          saw in the makro mail, it's too big with regard to the pole length. It comes
          in 2 boxes 1 for the canvas which looked about 4 feet long X 24inchs square
          (box size) the other box was for the poles and was about 2.5 meters long x
          24inchs square. There was no display model and only a 'not' scale model to
          indicate the shape. I feel this is a no go as it looks bigger than the
          'Party Tent'. There were other gazebos there. There was the 'same as we had'
          variety, there was also a 'cheap' Party Tent type tent with 2m poles (too
          long), plus another which was in a single box. This tent is 9m X 3m and has
          32mm diameter poles, comes with 5 panels (so 1 side is open) comes in white
          and costs L50 plus VAT. Would easily go in the back of a car.

          Of the 4 there the white tent looked the best option.

          Dont stop looking! If any of you find anything let the rest of know.

          Andy
        • Les
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 7, 2005
            Hi all,
            I have just been looking on e-bay for frame tents. There are
            several possibilities but one in particular sticks out. It is an
            Easycamp KOS 6 that has a bid of £50 on it at present but this does not
            meet the reserve. It is in the auction for another 4 days and is
            located in Rowlands Gill. Looking at other examples I have found the
            size which is 420 by 520. This is about 22 square metres. I realise
            this is smaller than the 36 square metres we had with both of the
            gazebos but how often were both used together? In my opinion there is a
            lot to be said for a frame tent particularly at a good price. The bags
            are about 1 metre long from what I have seen and the weight is less than
            40 kgs in total. Plus of course it is normal for these tents to have
            cooking areas and linings to make them warmer. Have a look on e-bay
            under frame tents and see what you think.

            Les

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 7, 2005
              Me again,
              The item number is 518193146 for the one in RG

              Find the size and better pics on item 518279580

              E-bay Newby Esq.

            • Les
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7, 2005
                Third time lucky,
                There is a COMPACT frame party tent item number 239565412.
                Looked for pack size and weight. Claims to be 65kgs in two packs each
                one 25 x 50 x100. This is a 4m x 6m party tent.

                Fed-up and unable to read any more.

                Les

              • Roger Davies
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
                  Les wrote:
                  > This is about 22 square metres. I realise
                  > this is smaller than the 36 square metres we had with both of the
                  > gazebos but how often were both used together?

                  I had a think and I could only remember two times when the tents were
                  not used together. Admitidly they were not always fully utilised, but
                  they were there.

                  Roger
                • AndyN
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
                    I seem to remember the 'original' gazebo's being used separately on only a
                    few occasions also. However I also remember them only be 'occupied' on one
                    side almost every time they were used the other side being filled with toys
                    of some description.

                    I emailed the EBay 'compact party tent' advertiser last night asking if
                    their tent packaging would fit into a hatch back car, their response was
                    'Yes it should'. I will try to find out more information about these tents
                    as I think this is the type of tent we want. My personal view is a frame
                    tent would feel too small as they don't have the height. Floor space is
                    almost the same but a gazebo type tent would feel more spacious because of
                    the height plus the side walls are vertical where as a frame tent has
                    sloping sides. I feel the compact party tent is a goer.

                    Can we please come to a decision on Tuesday so we can get this thing sorted?

                    Keep looking for alternatives if you please

                    Andy
                  • AndyN
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
                      Ok the deed is done! I had a look on EBay last night when I got in and there
                      was 3 tents up for auction from the same vendor in 3 separate auctions.
                      There was 1 which had 15+ hours to run with no bids so I put a bid on it,
                      £169+ carriage (£25) We won it at that price, I will sort the payment and
                      let you all know when it arrives!

                      Having only used Ebay once before, it's soo easy!

                      Andy
                    • AndyN
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2005
                        Its here!!! Despite my credit card company querying the transaction (because
                        its ages since I used my card) The party tent arrived this afternoon. It
                        should fit in the back of a car no problem but it weighs a ton. The box's it
                        came in are a lot bashed, they probably wont last too much longer.

                        Andy
                      • duncan.castling@durham.gov.uk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 15, 2005

                          Hey great news Andy!

                          But on another topic...........

                          I've gotta leave the yahoo group - 'cant use my work email anymore, can you or anyone help and remove me and replace my email address as

                          dcastling@...

                          Please note this should be my contact for all non work related issues from now on.
                          Ha, Nope i havn't had a slapping, just being cautious..

                          Cheers

                          Drunc

                        • AndyN
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 15, 2005
                            Druncan, You can alter your email address yourself. Sign into the Yahoo
                            groups and choose to edit your Yahoo profile. I seem to remember you need to
                            have your email verified which isn't too difficult to do. I had a quick look
                            to see if I could do it but I can't. If you can't remember your yahoo
                            id/password you could ask Mini to do it for you as he is 'the owner' of the
                            group and I think he has the ability to alter individuals email address's(?)
                            Hope that helps
                            Andy